Kind of a Farrar fanboy question...

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

We used to have fanboy questions going on all day around here, back in the day. I was in college at UT during the late nineties, when I got turned on all things Farrar and Tweedy.... Hard to think that was 15 years ago, and even then I was late to the game.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Heard Drown on the radio and I was hooked.

KC.BBBS

Kind of a Farrar fanboy question...

Post by KC.BBBS »

At the risk of going all fanboy here, what was the first song that turned you on to Jay Farrar’s sound? Was it an Uncle Tupelo show? A Son Volt tune? What was the setting?

My first exposure was around 1997 when friends invited me to a Son Volt show in Lawrence, Ks., might’ve been at The Granada. Anyway, I’d never heard of the band but trusted the musical tastes of my buddies.

That did it for me. This was Son Volt 1.0 with Farrar, the Boquist brothers and Heidorn. It was a great night discovering a new and interesting sound and compelling lyrics. I was in my late 30s at the time and had heard of Uncle Tupelo in passing but never saw the band though. I still curse myself for that.

I bought “Trace” the morning after that first Son Volt concert.

I’ve seen the band many times since – in Kansas City three or four times and twice in the past five months. The show at Knucklehead’s Sept. 29 was beyond outstanding and a June 1 concert at The Pageant in St. Louis was very good.

I’ve enjoyed every show and cd but if I had to choose, Son Volt 1.0 (Trace era band) and the most recent lineup (Hunt, Spencer, Duplantis and Edwards) are/were the best.