I Just Don't Get It!

amzie

Post by amzie »

When I saw Eddie Vedder on the cover of People magazine, I was done. So much for the greatness of Ten and Vedder's coolness.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Pavement. I've always wanted somebody to explain to me what makes them so awesome.

When Ten came out, a lot about its sound was new and, in the context, fun. Sure, some of it was a reaction to the 80s, but it was necessary. Slaughter, Extreme and Mr. Big were signs of some so very tired end times. I only knew radio top 40 at the time, and Ten opened up a whole new world. Energy, honesty, and the grunge combination of simultaneously giving a shit, and not giving two shits. The sound is also big (like the yarling wailing in Alive) without being spandex-arena big.

When Funeral came out, Arcade Fire was about local smartypants fun nerds enjoying themselves making pop rock. It had that feel to it, and still does. for me anyway.

pdg

Post by pdg »

That's an honest reply, thank you. I don't have the energy to break down every band, but I want to discuss Pearl Jam a bit more.

When they first hit the scene, I admit I didn't get the fuss about them. The whole Seattle scene seemed inflated, and was mostly an anti 80's movement. So, I can relate to not getting their music. As they moved on, I gradually warmed up to them. I bought the Yield album in 1997, and I really liked most of it. I moved on to Binaural and Riot Act, and then back filled Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and No Code. I wasn't a big fan, but the hook set in.

Contrary to the 1992'ers out there, longing for the stage dives and flannel, I actually enjoyed watching Pearl Jam expand their repertoire into more classic rock. Having seen them play live, I can say they are truly heirs of everything about rock and roll. Their energy is unparalleled, especially given they are all around age 50 now. The show I saw last week was 3.5 hours and 34 songs.

If you've ever seen the movie Almost Famous, I would say Pearl Jam embodies that whole aura and mystique of rock. When Kate Hudson takes the pencil out of Patrick Fugit's hand and shakes her head "Nooo!!!" - that is akin to anyone trying to "get" Pearl Jam's music through traditional listening at home. They really must be experienced live.

FYI, here is more discussion of that marathon concert: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 5&t=225306

mraney

Post by mraney »

I have never seen Pearl Jam or Arcade Fire live. I just never cared for their music and I just do not get it at all with Arcade Fire.

Maybe I am just too old.

I saw Wilco several times when they toured for the first 3 records and I thought their shows were great.

They just lost me after the first 3 records, but I do think Jeff Tweedy is very talented.

Mike

pdg

Re: I Just Don't Get It!

Post by pdg »

mraney wrote:Arcade Fire

Pearl Jam

Any Wilco record after the first three.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it!

Mike
Austin, TX
Seeing as each of these bands put on legendary concerts, I'm guessing you have not seen them play live. If you have, I'm interested in reading your perspective.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Marcus and the dude from The Vaccines do a good job at covering Dylan here:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... young.html

I need to start acting my age, but I really like the two Vaccines albums...

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I've made several valiant attempts at liking My Morning Jacket, but I gave up after the fourth or fifth try. Simply cannot dig it.

I do like Jim James' contributions to the New Multitudes project quite a lot, though.

Tim in the ATL

pdg

Post by pdg »

TragicFig wrote:Mumford and Sons....I don't get it
Try Dadford and Daughters instead.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Mumford and Sons....I don't get it

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

EV and crew still bring it to the live shows...that is still a fun time. I don't have much to say about their recent albums, as with other groups from my youth, like REM, nothing beats what they put out when they were young and full of grace...
i still appreciate that they feel compelled to continue writing and recording.

Arcade Fire's hype machine for this last record is unreal. I don't get it either, I don't see them as saviors of rock n' roll, not by a long shot.

Guess i'm old now.... :?

amzie

Post by amzie »

Liked Pearl Jam when they first came on the scene--wish they had left the scene long before now. I don't get Arcade Fire at all, and I did try.

mraney

I Just Don't Get It!

Post by mraney »

Arcade Fire

Pearl Jam

Any Wilco record after the first three.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it!

Mike
Austin, TX