Freehold show (setlist spoilers)

ct

Post by ct »

Bump

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

nice review man. sounds like you had a blast!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

GREAT to see Hard Times in the set.... :D

Remphish1

Post by Remphish1 »

Thanks for the review! Love this venue. I had the pleasure of seeing Gary Louris and Marc Olson there at two seperate shows. Such a unique and fun experience! I couldn't make this show but am glad to see the review.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the review.
I will add...I don't believe Methamphetamine was played on the tour last year. I went to shows in Louisville and Oxford and it wasn't played at either of those.

Antelope850

Freehold show (setlist spoilers)

Post by Antelope850 »

Outstanding show in Freehold, NJ last night. So cool to see Jay in a small photo studio with about 50 people on folding chairs. Great sound, great vibe.

Setlist was similar to the last Son Volt tour. Opened with The Picture. Then came the first of 4 "surprise" songs - Hard Times. Other unexpected songs were Underground Dream (Jay introduced it by saying he was told Bruce Springsteen played it on his radio show), When The World Waits For You, and California Zephyr. All sounded incredible and cool to hear Jay sing California Zephyr.

Otherwise pretty similar setlist to the last Son Volt tour - all the Honky Tonk songs they played with Son Volt, but he didn't add any new ones. Down To The Wire, Highways, Methamphetamine, Strength and Doubt, Barstow, Hoping Machine. Tear Stained Eye, Windfall, Bandages, Afterglow 61. Encore was Still Be Around. No covers. Was exciting to hear the first few notes of the 4 surprise songs and have to think for a second what it was. But even the songs he's been playing regularly the last few years that folks may complain don't change, he and Gary play the hell out of them. Voice was great. Gary is unbelievable on mandolin, fiddle and guitar. Jay's added a little acoustic guitar flourish to Hoping Machine. Jay had a good line about seeing a sign on the drive in that reminded him of a marquee years back with "Son Volt"on the top and "All Male Revue"on the bottom.

After the show, everyone went into the hosts house for the potluck dinner (I brought brownies.) Very cool experience. Gary hung out eating and meeting with fans. Jay signed autographs and posed for pictures back in the studio. I told him that Springsteen also played Feed Kill Chain on that radio show, and spoke with him for a couple of minutes. 2nd time I've talked with after a show and he does not live up to his reputation - very friendly and easy to talk to. He spoke with a bunch of folks, signed a lot of autographs, including the 4th grader in front of me there with her dad.

Awesome place to see a show. Jay and Gary put on their coats to leave and go outside to the main house before coming back for the encore. If you live anywhere near Freehold, be on the lookout to attend a show there. It was sweet.