Mike Heidorn interview

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Antelope850 wrote:Dave Bryson did play on Honky Tonk. (Andrew Duplantis did not.) And I think Bryson would have played on the tour if he didn't just have a baby. But I get your point - Heidorn has all the history with Jay going back to the beginning, and is his brother-in-law, lives in St. Louis, looking to get back in the game, getting that old time feeling again - all makes sense. But I like Bryson a lot too. He's played on 4 Son Volt records, played with Jay with Canyon. Really enjoyed his blog on the tour a few years ago, and spoke with him once or twice before or after a show. Seems like a great guy.

Either way, would love to see Heidorn playing regularly again, with Jay/Son Volt or somebody else.
Ah yes, thanks for the correction. I too really like Dave Bryson. Spoke with him briefly after a show in Chattanooga a few years back -- great guy. And I also loved his blog. Wish that thing was still up and running.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Dave Bryson did play on Honky Tonk. (Andrew Duplantis did not.) And I think Bryson would have played on the tour if he didn't just have a baby. But I get your point - Heidorn has all the history with Jay going back to the beginning, and is his brother-in-law, lives in St. Louis, looking to get back in the game, getting that old time feeling again - all makes sense. But I like Bryson a lot too. He's played on 4 Son Volt records, played with Jay with Canyon. Really enjoyed his blog on the tour a few years ago, and spoke with him once or twice before or after a show. Seems like a great guy.

Either way, would love to see Heidorn playing regularly again, with Jay/Son Volt or somebody else.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:I don't know if I'm reading into it, but it seems to me that Mike is actively putting out word he's wanting to get back into the music fray.
I don't think you're reading into anything. Seems clear to me. The whole bit about 2014 being a big year in his life seems to suggest that especially. Don't know about you all, but I'd love to see him backing Jay permanently again. Don't get me wrong -- I love Dave Bryson, but he now makes his home in Argentina, didn't play on the latest record, and hasn't toured with the band in quite some time.

Is the door open for Mike?

Tim in the ATL
None of us really know what happened pre-Okemah, but if is all water under the bridge then it seems possible.
Oh, and I should hasten to say I wasn't implying wrong doing on Tony's (manager) part. I was talking about his, if any, involvement in review of the accounting back in those early days. Maybe he didn't serve in that capacity. I don't know how that all works.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

That would be great if it happened, I've always felt Mike was kind of like Jay's Ralph Molina; definitely not a studio ace but plays with great feel and power that can define a performance.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Tokyo Fan wrote:I don't know if I'm reading into it, but it seems to me that Mike is actively putting out word he's wanting to get back into the music fray.
I don't think you're reading into anything. Seems clear to me. The whole bit about 2014 being a big year in his life seems to suggest that especially. Don't know about you all, but I'd love to see him backing Jay permanently again. Don't get me wrong -- I love Dave Bryson, but he now makes his home in Argentina, didn't play on the latest record, and hasn't toured with the band in quite some time.

Is the door open for Mike?

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Thanks a lot, Antelope, for posting this link. Very interesting read. You hear about musicians getting screwed all the time and would think that managers or lawyers or even the musicians themselves would be perhaps a bit more inquisitive in regard to finances. But, nope. But then again, I suppose there could be all sorts of sleight of hand going on. I wonder what Tony's (the manager) part was in all of this? 2001 and Uncle Tupelo finally finds out their first three album sales.
I don't know if I'm reading into it, but it seems to me that Mike is actively putting out word he's wanting to get back into the music fray.

Antelope850

Mike Heidorn interview

Post by Antelope850 »