Jay and Gary in Napa, CA 4/16/2014

amzie

Post by amzie »

TragicFig wrote:<<I don't know, I like these two man shows, but I'm really looking forward to a full on Son Volt tour... haul out the amps.... hand Andy his bass and put Dave behind that big ass kick drum, have Spence fire up the pedal-steel and let's rock n' roll boys. There's nothing like Jay strapping on the Les Paul and cranking it up. I'm ready for a Fillmore show!!>>

+1
+2

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

<<I don't know, I like these two man shows, but I'm really looking forward to a full on Son Volt tour... haul out the amps.... hand Andy his bass and put Dave behind that big ass kick drum, have Spence fire up the pedal-steel and let's rock n' roll boys. There's nothing like Jay strapping on the Les Paul and cranking it up. I'm ready for a Fillmore show!!>>

+1

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

g-midd wrote:How was that Petaluma show? I was going to go to that one. It was the night after the Fillmore show and since I'm in Marin it would have only been a 30 minute drive. I kick myself for missing that show. I've never been to the Mystic, but it looks like a great venue.
the show was a few years back
Mystic is an old theater but is really
tired looking right now
but a nice place to watch music
my guess is they will be in a world of hurt
with both Napa venues opened now
taking the majority of the artists touring thru

pea
Windsor

g-midd

Post by g-midd »

How was that Petaluma show? I was going to go to that one. It was the night after the Fillmore show and since I'm in Marin it would have only been a 30 minute drive. I kick myself for missing that show. I've never been to the Mystic, but it looks like a great venue.

peainthepod

Re: Jay and Gary in Napa, CA 4/16/2014

Post by peainthepod »

g-midd wrote:Caught Jay and Gary at the City Winery in Napa, California last night. The venue is the refurbished Napa Opera House and the place is amazing. It was a decent sized crowd... but, a rowdy crowd with lots of shout-outs and a woman who kept letting loose with this high pitched ear splitting scream throughout the show. Wow!
[/img]
Pretty sure I sat next to that bird at a show at the Mystic in Petaluma. She ruined my tape...

pea

g-midd

Jay and Gary in Napa, CA 4/16/2014

Post by g-midd »

Caught Jay and Gary at the City Winery in Napa, California last night. The venue is the refurbished Napa Opera House and the place is amazing. Sat front row stage left and it was a very good show but not a lot of surprises. It was a decent sized crowd... but, a rowdy crowd with lots of shout-outs and a woman who kept letting loose with this high pitched ear splitting scream throughout the show. Wow!

Jay was laid-back as usual... with very little crowd interaction this time around. I have to say, though, Gary is something to watch... he has this smooth mastery of whatever instrument he picks up (or sits behind). I thought he was busting out some Duane Allman chops on Down to the Wire on the slide and I'm sure I heard some Dickey Betts ascending and descending work on another song.... the guy is a first rate musician - no doubt about it!

They did two of my SV favorites Methamphetamine and Highways and Cigarettes. I shouted out for Left a Slide which would have completed the trinity, but no go.

No covers during the encore - rare!

I don't know, I like these two man shows, but I'm really looking forward to a full on Son Volt tour... haul out the amps.... hand Andy his bass and put Dave behind that big ass kick drum, have Spence fire up the pedal-steel and let's rock n' roll boys. There's nothing like Jay strapping on the Les Paul and cranking it up. I'm ready for a Fillmore show!!

[/img]
Last edited by g-midd on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.