Sebastopol Appreciation Thread

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

unchartedthickets wrote:
I was stricken by this version with Spencer, Gibbard and a drummer and
bassist I don't know. It jams.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hw__m9DCMoQ

Agreed. I've watched that version *so* many times. Killer. A perfect show-closer.

Tim in the ATL

I was at that show at the El Rey---one of the best I've ever been to. Lots of young chix shouting their love for Ben...I yelled "love you too Jay!", and he reacted like, "um, thx (I think) middle aged white dude..." :shock:

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

I fucking love this version. Jay shreds the shit out of it.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

unchartedthickets wrote:I was stricken by this version with Spencer, Gibbard and a drummer and
Agreed. I've watched that version *so* many times. Killer. A perfect show-closer.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

I was stricken by this version with Spencer, Gibbard and a drummer and

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Was listening to a bootleg version the other day...incredible. Wish Jay would capture a few of his live shows on disc and make them available for sale... a la Kozelek...speaking of Koz, I don't really get the joke when he tells his audience to fuck off...I get the artist temperament and all, but c'mon

http://www.nme.com/news/mark-kozelek--2/79643

amzie

Post by amzie »

Tragic Fig--I agree with you, as usual.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Love it, but love the uptempo live Voodoo Candle even more!

Hoops

Re: Sebastopol Appreciation Thread

Post by Hoops »

Hank Snow wrote:Does anyone else think this album represents Jay at his finest?.
Yes. Far and away, my favorite album of all of Jay's work.

The second half of the album is perfect.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Great album. Better than Terroir Blues. TB includes more experimental works and hard to handle...

But this album is exactly close to Son Volt path... Barstow is totally a Son Volt classic for example.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Seb holds a special place in my heart. I think the lyrics are thoughtful. Awesome songs.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Both Sebastopol and TB are high water marks for me, with Thirdshiftgrottoslack and Live in Seattle being amazing companion pieces. Sebastopol was the first album that Jay released with me as a fan and in those early 2000s it seemed like he didn't have a bad song or musical instinct in him. The work since has been solid but these solo releases to me feature much of his finest work.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Different Eyes, Outside the Door are my faves from Sebastopol. A better complete album than Terroir Blues, though Blues has the same number of high points (eg Dent County). Sebastopol has a great flow/movement between songs, and adds up to more than the sum of its parts. I like to listen to it when I go for a walk in the fall, or while reading.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

fucking Vitamins man... just killer.

TB is only slightly inferior, from this period of his career, because there's so many kick ass songs on Sebastopol. start to finish, hardly a toss-away track on there.

that's what I want from an artist, to put out albums that don't have filler in there taking up space. I never liked the noise tracks on TB. Third

so when jay goes on that 5 year cycle, this time he pumped out some really great stuff.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

i am very fond of the album. really like Terroir Blues without the noise bits getting in the way too. i do put Sebastopol on quite a bit as well.