Down to the Wire
Low Life Kingdom
Hoping Machine
Careless Reckless Love
San Antone Meat House
World’s On Fire
Angel of the Blues
Hearts and Minds[/quote]
12 different songs from my list...shows breadth of taste and also quality of Jay's last decade of work. I was surprised by Hello Goodbye as I didn't find it particularly interesting.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

6 String Belief
Afterglow
Atmosphere
The Search
Circadian Rhythm
Waking World
Highways and Cigarettes
Methamphetamine
L Train
Phosphate Skin
Hello Goodbye
Death’s Black Train
Down to the Wire
Low Life Kingdom
Hoping Machine
Careless Reckless Love
San Antone Meat House
World’s On Fire
Angel of the Blues
Hearts and Minds

manshank

Post by manshank »

I put The Search on for the first time in awhile the other day..........yes indeed I forgot how much I liked that one.

ct

Post by ct »

Bump

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Megaballs6

Post by Megaballs6 »

My view on songwriting is you have to hear things...music, a melody, a sound and the words flow no matter the G D Em or whatnot.

Wonder what Jay is hearing after Bakersfield and ACD and all that steel.

He came out of the solo projects and work with Anders ready for Okemah.

I'm with ya tho. Rock on Jay, with the killer band together

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

If Jay were to release a record as strong as The Search in 2015 I'd be over the moon. I miss the uptempo (midtempo?), electric, power chord SV sound. Hope he returns to it...while I love the fiddle and acoustic Jay, I need me some .alt with my country. C'mon Jay, strap on the Gretsch and

GIVE ME SOME ELECTRIC VOLT!!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

When I finally heard the On Chant and Strum extra material for The Search (on Spotify), I was dumbfounded. I know a lot of folks here rate The Search way up there but I lean more in the direction of turpentim. There's several tracks that could be cut from that album...and with all this great material that was put on Chant and Strum...I'm speechless. It should have been a homerun.

Slow Hearse....don't even get me started.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

<<There are very few blemishes on ACD>>

You leave Sultana alone! :P

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

No blast Tim, but I do like Exurbia. Automatic Society is a meh.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I too love 'On Chant and Strum,' but I think there are a few throw-away tracks that keep it from being a masterpiece. I may get blasted for this, but "Automatic Society" and "Exurbia" are both, in my opinion, two of Jay's weakest efforts. I am also not a fan of "Slow Hearse." Minus those three, this is as strong a record as I've ever heard. "Phosphate Skin" and "Bicycle Hotel" are the best songs of the bunch -- among Jay's all-time greats, in my opinion.

In comparison, I can't find a single weak spot on Trace, Straightaways, WST, Sebastopol, Okemah, or Honky Tonk. There are very few blemishes on ACD and The Search, but the blemishes are there. And Terroir Blues would be damn near perfect without the Space Junk and 'Fool King's Crown.'

Tim in the ATL

mraney

Post by mraney »

Trace is a great record, but On Chant and Strum is my favorite of all the SV records.

I agree that if The Search was originally released with all 8 bonus songs as a 2 CD record it would be considered a masterpiece.

I would love to know the reasoning behind how the record was sequenced and released.

Mike

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

dude wrote:I'll say it till my dying days, if On Chant had been "the" release, people would be talking about it as Jay's masterpiece. Forget everything before or after, as good as it all is, none of it matches the entirety of this one album. It was a big missed opportunity, but I'm glad my ears still got to hear it regardless.
I agree. Well, I still say Trace is the best. But On Chant and Strum is incredible. I bought a record player mainly so I could play my vinyl copy. If a Ben Gibbard or Jim James fan asked what Jay Farrar album to get, it's the one I'd say. It's the full aresenal of what Jay can do. The "bonus" songs are unbelievable and should be better known. Carnival Blues, Houdini Punches, Bicycle Hotel, Coltrane Free, Waking World - great stuff. And I always thought Son Volt should have played Methamphetamine on Letterman instead of The Picture (Son Volt already played The Picture on Conan a month before) with Eric Heywood on steel and Shannon McNally on Nasvhille guitar. But Jay's never gone for the commercial kill.
Last edited by Antelope850 on Mon May 26, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWB56

Post by JWB56 »

Dude, I agree, it's my favorite SV album!