What the hell happened to this place?

calexico

Post by calexico »

Facebook has killed internet forums for the most part. That and the Ebola carrying foreigners.

amzie

Post by amzie »

I'm not really eager to categorize. I was trying to draw a distinction between albums which I can see does not really exist. I have frequently encountered folks who have never heard of Son Volt and when I say they are alt.country I usually get puzzled looks, as well. "Drown" is what hooked me.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

amzie wrote:Having thought about this some more, I can't describe Straightaways, Wide Swing Tremolo, or the Search. Can most songs on these albums be categorized? I guess I have probably just listened to all SV albums to death, I want more, and I love the really rock songs the most, sometimes. Other songs are quite beautiful. I guess what Jay is feeling is what comes out--I'll take what I can get.
Why so eager to categorize? Why does it matter how we label things? One of the qualities I have always loved most about Jay's music is that it defies categorization -- or, at the very least, transcends the imaginary generic boundaries we place between varying sonic-scapes.

How do you categorize Neil Young, Tom Waits, and so many others of the greats? Can't do it. That's why they're greats.

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I feel ya Amzie. I prefer the .alt to the country myself. But it's ALL GOOD! I keep thinking of what Jay says at the beginning of the Okemah DVD---something about being happy to "crank it up again." Hope he's feeling that way for the next record....

amzie

Post by amzie »

Having thought about this some more, I can't describe Straightaways, Wide Swing Tremolo, or the Search. Can most songs on these albums be categorized? I guess I have probably just listened to all SV albums to death, I want more, and I love the really rock songs the most, sometimes. Other songs are quite beautiful. I guess what Jay is feeling is what comes out--I'll take what I can get.

amzie

Post by amzie »

el caballo loco, turpentim, and Sachsen---you are all right of course. I was trying to say that I have always been the biggest fan of the "Route" type songs off Trace--and these songs are awesome. Rockers as well on the ensuing albums, and of course Okemah was GREAT. In a certain mood, the later stuff is "pretty," it just doesn't float MY boat. You all seem very knowledgeable and dedicated fans of SV. I am too, I just prefer the harder songs to the blue grassy or "western" or whatever tunes that comprise ACD and Honky Tonk. No rockers in sight, though earlier blended CDs. Anodyne has its moments. What category does "Hoping Machine" fall into?

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Yep. Wonder if people remember the fiddle, banjo, accordion, and steel guitar that are on Trace? And even Anodyne, if you want to go further back?

Fer cryin out loud, No Depression was a Carter Family song. These "honky tonk leanings" go all the way back to the beginning. They have just come out pretty much full force the last two albums since Jay put his electric guitars away.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

el caballo loco wrote:
amzie wrote:I agree with all y'all who have had enough of the "honky tonk" leanings. I got into Son Volt when I heard "Drown." I have about zero interest left in the last couple of albums. Snooze-a-rama. Seriously. I do adore Hoping Machine, but that ain't a Volt song, really.
It's a good thing there aren't any other of those "honky tonk" leanings from that album from which "Drown" comes from.
+1 :lol: Was thinking precisely the same thing.

Tim in the ATL

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

amzie wrote:I agree with all y'all who have had enough of the "honky tonk" leanings. I got into Son Volt when I heard "Drown." I have about zero interest left in the last couple of albums. Snooze-a-rama. Seriously. I do adore Hoping Machine, but that ain't a Volt song, really.
It's a good thing there aren't any other of those "honky tonk" leanings from that album from which "Drown" comes from.

amzie

Post by amzie »

I agree with all y'all who have had enough of the "honky tonk" leanings. I got into Son Volt when I heard "Drown." I have about zero interest left in the last couple of albums. Snooze-a-rama. Seriously. I do adore Hoping Machine, but that ain't a Volt song, really.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

im on the fence with this western style. nothing reaches me like the pedal steel with crunch!! see methamphetamine.

DelindaWilliams

Post by DelindaWilliams »

You can try some other website if you like? Try Admission-service.com. :)
Last edited by DelindaWilliams on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Saw Mark Spencer two years ago at SXSW. He was hanging out at the Yard Dog during a Drivin N Cryin set. He looked pretty good. I think he was touring with another member of the Blood Oranges recently as well.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Has Mark Spencer been around? Just wondering about his mental state.

I am tired of Son Volt's latest stuff. Must supplement with Wrinkle Neck Mules, Dexateens, and others.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I'm hoping for something in the New Multitudes vein, musically. I really thought that project was a home run.

At the same time I don't think it will happen. :lol: