Jay Farrar Duo

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Great review! Makes checking in here every once in a while, totally worth it!

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Sweet review! Thanks for all the bits. Looks like a fun day.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Prizewinning review of the year! Thanks for the effort you put into covering the show for us. Sweet pic with Jay!

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

turpentim wrote:Thanks so much for all this! You didn't happen to get video of 'Going Down the Road Feeling Bad', did you? That must've been sweet!

Tim in the ATL
I didn't, but I wish now that I would have! I didn't have a lot of room on my phone and I was afraid I was going to run out of memory, so I was kind of picking and choosing which ones to try and record. I was just glad I got Hard Times and Back Into Your World, I wasn't expecting either of those songs.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Thanks so much for all this! You didn't happen to get video of 'Going Down the Road Feeling Bad', did you? That must've been sweet!

Tim in the ATL

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Thank you for your colorful review, and the nice artifacts, and especially, the music. Looks and sounds great to me.

I was taken aback by all of that empty green grass. It looked liked the ideal setting for a very memorable day.

Thanks for making me almost feel like I was there, even from 1000 miles away.

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Sorry, some of these videos are not complete, and there is a little bit of shakiness going on. I am not the best videographer in the world by any means.

Hard Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Smd722Daic

Highways & Cigarettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDXSUSn96s

Hoping Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XPPBFWogac

Back Into Your World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ldmJ_MGis

Guthrie Green, Tulsa:

My handwritten setlist:

Jay and me after the show:

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

What a fantastic day in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The day started out raining cats and dogs - cloudy, cool, wet. No thunder or lightning, though. I called the Woody Guthrie Center and they advised that the show would go on. There were multiple artists playing today: Garrett Lebeau, Vance Gilbert, Jimmy LaFave. All free to the public. During my drive downtown, the rain quit and the sun came out. I arrived at Guthrie Green in downtown Tulsa during the middle of LaFave's set. Sang along with "This Land is Your Land". Saw Jay hanging out at the back of the stage, listening. LaFave came to a close and I moved my lawn chair down front on the sloped grass hill, close to the stage. The sun was out, a cool breeze blew, the temperature was in the high 60s. Absolutely perfect. A few hundred people had braved the rain and had come out to hear some good tunes.

Jay and Gary set up their equipment, tuned up their instruments, and started in on their set at about 4:50 p.m. Both were in fine form and fine voice. The sound system was very good. The audience of mostly older folks were respectful and listened quietly, applauding and cheering at appropriate times. A few children came down the hill about halfway through the set and had fun sliding on their rear ends in the wet grass.

Jay played harmonica and two different acoustic guitars.
Gary played steel guitar, electric guitar (sometimes using a slide), mandolin, and two different fiddles.

17 song setlist, approx. 80 minutes.

Set list:
# -- Song -- Album
1 -- The Picture -- The Search
2 -- Down to the Wire -- American Central Dust
3 -- Hard Times -- Death Songs for the Living
4 -- Brick Walls -- Honky Tonk
5 -- Wild Side -- Honky Tonk
6 -- Strength and Doubt -- American Central Dust
7 -- Barstow -- Sebastopol
8 -- Highways and Cigarettes -- The Search
9 -- Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad -- (Woody Guthrie cover)
10 -- Hoping Machine -- New Multitudes
11 -- Methamphetamine -- The Search
12 -- Back Into Your World -- Straightaways
13 -- Afterglow 61 -- Okemah and the Melody of Riot
14 -- Hearts and Minds -- Honky Tonk
15 -- Tear Stained Eye -- Trace
16 -- Windfall -- Trace
Encore:
17 -- Still Be Around -- Still Feel Gone

I took a few videos and I'm trying to get them uploaded to youtube. I'll post them as soon as I can.

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

The Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll be at the show in Tulsa this Saturday. I mean that somewhat literally, as we are forecast to have heavy thunderstorms this weekend. Since this is scheduled to be a daytime outdoor concert, I'm not sure what the weather contingency plan is, but I guess we'll see. I'll post if everything works out.

ct

Post by ct »

👍

BIGfan

Jay Farrar Duo

Post by BIGfan »

Any Jay followers still reading this board? I know he and Gary are playing in Arkansas tonight, Tulsa next weekend then somewhere in Missouri in the next couple of weeks - Would be so nice, for a change, to read a review or two about these guys on this message board instead of all the CRAP that seems to have taken it over!