Jay Farrar Duo

mzkmm

Farrar duo

Post by mzkmm »

Colonel Ford was supposed to open in Carbondale. The Hannibal Hootenanny was held in a "cool" location but the temperature was more like frozen. The Mark Twain cave was there along with a winery, fun food, animals, campground, shuttle from town, etc. There were also many worthwhile bands preceding the Farrar duo. This was the "second annual" event and they said it was even colder last year! They may need to consider a music tent (semi-heated) or moving the date forward.

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

I think Jay and Gary played yesterday in Carbondale, Illinois, and today in Hannibal, Missouri. Anyone reporting in?

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

LOVE that.

Tim in the ATL

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

This is tomorrow. Anyone gonna be there?
Sachsen wrote:Now we need someone to step up and go see Jay & Gary at the Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival in Columbia MO on Sept. 26th, and then post a review.

Seems like someone out there ought to be interested in this lineup:

Jay
Avett Brothers
Amos Lee
John Prine
Roseanne Cash
Jason Isbell
Los Lobos

and a bunch more...

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

great videos!! wtfis up with the attendance!!?? advertise a little for gods sake

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Wow! Am listening to Hoping Machine at this very minute and it is absolutely perfect. Thank you so much for posting this. "out of order...out of order...out of order.."

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Both Hoping Machine and Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad were highlights of the show. He mentioned before playing those two songs back-to-back that he was at the Woody Guthrie portion of the show. He briefly explained to the crowd how he got the lyrics to Hoping Machine from Nora Guthrie. Playing in front of the Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, I'm sure he put extra emotion and effort into both songs, after having toured the Center.

Still kicking myself that I didn't get video of Goin' Down the Road!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I'm just gonna come right out and say that this is the best Hoping Machine I've ever heard and, to my knowledge, that Jay has ever done. It is gotdang perfect! He delivers the tune with such tenderness and care...modulating his voice to deliver the lyrics with the greatest possible poignancy. Gary's fills are sublime. And check out how into it Jay is! It's as if he almost realizes that he's delivering a perfect version--he loves the tune more than we do!

Cool as hell.

Wetz

Post by Wetz »

I've been lucky enough to see Jay and Gary this year in Napa, Portland and Seattle and they both delivered amazing performances at each show. I was really impressed with Gary's versatility with the various instruments he played. I would agree that Hoping Machine was a definite highlight and Back Into Your World. I love that he plays smaller venues - great shows. Now I can't believe I ever listened to Wilco - not even in the same league. Jay is a national treasure.[/img]

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Whoa thanks for that! What a terrific version of Hoping Machine. Loved it

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!!

amzie

Post by amzie »

Wow, Jay really delivers in this 2 man version of Hoping Machine. Thanks for sharing, Sachsen.

BIGfan

Post by BIGfan »

Sounds like a winner! I'm hoping to make it to Columbia, MO for that show; I'll check in here afterwards to compare notes! So nice to have some real content on this page for a change - the Tulsa review and vids made it [almost] as good as being there, THANKS Sachsen!

Sachsen

Post by Sachsen »

Now we need someone to step up and go see Jay & Gary at the Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival in Columbia MO on Sept. 26th, and then post a review.

Seems like someone out there ought to be interested in this lineup:

Jay
Avett Brothers
Amos Lee
John Prine
Roseanne Cash
Jason Isbell
Los Lobos

and a bunch more...