Looking Back at Honky Tonk

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

+1

JWB56

Post by JWB56 »

It's time for Jay to put down the acoustic guitar and pick up the Gretsch again. Please!!!

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

One of his best albums. There is a lot to say about it but, for now.... all I gotta say is, there is no more sublime series of lyrics than those compiled for "Bakersfield." As the song unrolls you feel like - "I guess this must be Gospel hitting my ears."

el caballo loco

Re: Honky Tonk

Post by el caballo loco »

ThrasherBear wrote:Anyway--I love country Jay, rockin' Jay, and all in between.
Ding-ding-ding!

ThrasherBear

Honky Tonk

Post by ThrasherBear »

Yeah, I guess I didn't really answer the question. I listened to the album (vinyl) all the way through yesterday. It's a classic--solid songs, memorable choruses, and beautiful playing and singing throughout. There are a few songs where a female harmony voice would fit right in--unusual in Jay's catalogue.

It's a beautifully recorded album (yay Mark). One thing I haven't seen discussed--has anybody noticed the very high pitch (synthesizer?) tone that comes in during the chorus of Angel of the Blues? I absolutely love the song and the performance, but that tone really bothers me. Maybe my hearing if off. Anyway--I love country Jay, rockin' Jay, and all in between.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

For me it has everything, which i like the country side of son volt more. Also it's a emotional-creative work. Based on Bakersfield honky tonk music as we all know, but you don't feel like listening a george jones song or wynn stewart really. We are listening Jay Farrar and his unique touches, and it's cool.

Wildside is my fav track from that album (both lyrical and chord progression) with Tears of Change (Most george jones-style track for me). For "Wildside" especially KDHX acoustic version is killer:

http://kdhx.org/music/live-performances ... ar-5-27-13

Hope next Son Volt album goes into deep with this path.

Tokyo Fan

Re: Angel of the Blues

Post by Tokyo Fan »

ThrasherBear wrote:Post #1:
Last summer at a book signing the night of a Son Volt show I asked Jay if he'd consider adding Angel of the Blues to the setlist. He nodded and said maybe. I mentioned that it's a great song, but very sad, and he looked down and said "yes it is". I get the impression that it's unusually personal for him. I consider it the cornerstone song of Son Volt 2.0, like Left a Slide is (for me) of 1.0.
Looking forward to whatever he puts out next! He is a true artist.
Good for you! Now we know Jay's been asked directly. I hope he does add it as it is such a beautiful song.
And welcome to the board.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Love Jackson wrote:Perhaps an interesting topic of conversation...Does Jay have good taste in his own music??? I can point to some specific situations where I don't think he does. For example, choosing Down to the Wire as the first single from ACD, omitting Juke Box of Steel from most ACD tour set lists, not including Angel of the Blues on HT tour set lists...
I know I would go with both of your suggestions: juke box of steel and Angel of the Blues, so I agree with your point. From a fan's perspective. From a songwriter's perspective, it might be different.

You might try starting a new thread with that topic! As it doesn't appear that there is much interest in commenting on how Honky Tonk has held up.

ThrasherBear

Angel of the Blues

Post by ThrasherBear »

Post #1:
Last summer at a book signing the night of a Son Volt show I asked Jay if he'd consider adding Angel of the Blues to the setlist. He nodded and said maybe. I mentioned that it's a great song, but very sad, and he looked down and said "yes it is". I get the impression that it's unusually personal for him. I consider it the cornerstone song of Son Volt 2.0, like Left a Slide is (for me) of 1.0.
Looking forward to whatever he puts out next! He is a true artist.

Love Jackson

Post by Love Jackson »

Perhaps an interesting topic of conversation...Does Jay have good taste in his own music??? I can point to some specific situations where I don't think he does. For example, choosing Down to the Wire as the first single from ACD, omitting Juke Box of Steel from most ACD tour set lists, not including Angel of the Blues on HT tour set lists...

Tokyo Fan

Looking Back at Honky Tonk

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I've been listening to this again, sparked by a different boards discussion of the state of country music. And I will say that not only has the album held ...it has improved! I especially love the final four tracks: Angel of the Blues, Seawall, Barricades and Shine On.

If the logic is to stick the weaker tracks towards the end, that certainly doesn't apply here.