Stream tonight's "Trace" show on WRLT

jr29

Post by jr29 »

KC.BBBS wrote:"Ten Second News" and "Rainy Day Women" were outstanding.

Did anyone else catch the error the emcee made with her intro? She said Gary Hunt played on "Trace." Good lord people, do your homework. I really have a lot of respect for Gary and have seen him with Jay for two or three killer shows but he did not perform on that album.

Here's hoping that the trio adds Kansas City, Lawrence or Columbia to the tour.
I did catch that. Jay and Gary had probably never even met when Trace was recorded.
I mentioned it in my earlier post but you are 100% correct about Ten Second News.

KC.BBBS

Post by KC.BBBS »

"Ten Second News" and "Rainy Day Women" were outstanding.

Did anyone else catch the error the emcee made with her intro? She said Gary Hunt played on "Trace." Good lord people, do your homework. I really have a lot of respect for Gary and have seen him with Jay for two or three killer shows but he did not perform on that album.

Here's hoping that the trio adds Kansas City, Lawrence or Columbia to the tour.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

[quot off.e="mcmoss99"]It was typical Jay no banter and really didn't say much about Trace and looked not too excited to be there. But that's just Jay been to a bunch of his shows and he is always like that. Talked with his wife before a show in Chicago years ago and she talked about how nervous he gets and miserable he is before a show that he will barely even talk to her. It's all good though cause he still sounds great to me. Eric Heywood sounded good but felt like I couldn't hear him as well as I would have liked.[/quote]

I thought Heywood's steel could have been a bit louder too.
Jay did get his little "steel cage " joke

mcmoss99

Post by mcmoss99 »

It was typical Jay no banter and really didn't say much about Trace and looked not too excited to be there. But that's just Jay been to a bunch of his shows and he is always like that. Talked with his wife before a show in Chicago years ago and she talked about how nervous he gets and miserable he is before a show that he will barely even talk to her. It's all good though cause he still sounds great to me. Eric Heywood sounded good but felt like I couldn't hear him as well as I would have liked.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

I'm actually quite surprised that Jay is doing this Trace tour, and that he's got Eric Heywood with him. He has never seemed to be sentimental about his musical past, sort of Neil Young-like in leaving behind old songs, bands and bandmates. Over the years he has dutifully played Windfall and Tear Stained Eye at virtually every show, but little else from Trace. I'm thoroughly looking forward to both the re-issue (vinyl, yay) and the tour, and I hope his heart is really in it.

For those of you who saw the show, did Jay seem happy to be playing those songs, or just appear to be going through the motions? I know, with him it might be hard to tell. Also, nobody has really commented on how Eric played (I think he's phenomenal). Did they interact at all? How did Eric and Gary mesh?

Thanks everybody! Hope he adds Left a Slide to the setlist!!!

mcmoss99

Post by mcmoss99 »

Great show made the drive from Chicago. Hoping to hear "Too Early" at the Chicago show in December as I have always loved that song and never heard them play it live. Instead I had to settle for listening to it on my phone from their Austin City Limits 1996 show in darkness as my wife slept in our Nashville Hotel haha. Cool how they worked in a few other non Trace songs maybe I will get lucky and hear Left A Slide or Creosote in Chicago but I'll settle for Too Early. Saw the Sons of Bill lead singer there which was cool but I'm guessing that sort if thing is commonplace in Music City.

Remphish1

Post by Remphish1 »

Thanks Tim for the update..really hoping for Mystifies Me for NYC :?

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

They played every song from Trace with the exception of "Too Early" and "Mystifies Me." Closed with Dylan's "Rainy Day Women".

Killer, killer show.

Tim in the ATL

Uncle Eph

Post by Uncle Eph »

jr29 wrote:I was there last night as well and it was really good. "Ten Second News" gave me chills and was definitely the highlight of my evening. Trace was not played in it's entirety. "The Picture", "back Into Your World", and a third song which escapes me were the first 3 tunes, then 6-7 Trace songs, then "Hearts And Minds" "Afterglow 61" and then the Dylan cover "Rainy day Women". I might be missing something but that is a pretty good account.
The crowd was tremendous. There was almost no chatting or banter, all attention was on the stage.
phix, this is probably not what you want to hear but, often times Lightning 100 will sign off at 10 o'clock but, the band will come back out and play more. Jay didn't and that's fine but some acts keep going.
Wait, so they're not playing all the songs from Trace?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I was there last night as well and it was really good. "Ten Second News" gave me chills and was definitely the highlight of my evening. Trace was not played in it's entirety. "The Picture", "back Into Your World", and a third song which escapes me were the first 3 tunes, then 6-7 Trace songs, then "Hearts And Minds" "Afterglow 61" and then the Dylan cover "Rainy day Women". I might be missing something but that is a pretty good account.
The crowd was tremendous. There was almost no chatting or banter, all attention was on the stage.
phix, this is probably not what you want to hear but, often times Lightning 100 will sign off at 10 o'clock but, the band will come back out and play more. Jay didn't and that's fine but some acts keep going.

phix174

Post by phix174 »

Greetings all,

I made the drive from B'ham to Nashville for last night's show. I am glad many were able to stream it, as it was great to hear many of the songs from "Trace" that are normally not played, either with the band or solo.

We made it home around 1:30 AM, and then up at 4 AM for the 1.5 hour commute to work, but it (as always) was worth it.

While it's great to see it broadcasted over the airwaves, it was a bit disappointing that the show was limited to only one-hour due to the radio programming.

In addition to Jay and company, Parker Milsap also played a great show as an opener.

Remphish1

Post by Remphish1 »

Wasn't around for the stream..what was the setlist? Did they play all of Trace???

partyroy

Post by partyroy »

Damn. Someone snagged this stream, right??

BIGfan

Post by BIGfan »

GREAT SHOW! Thanks for posting the streaming link. How 'bout them twin steal geetarrrs!

beatenbynonfiction

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

Listening now. This is an awesome surprise on a Sunday night. Keeps Monday a little further away. I saw the original Trace Tour. Lost count of how many since. Jay sounds great and glad he's back out on the road. Chatty as ever :lol: Playing 'out of the picture' now. Sounds like Heaven