A fellow covers Trace in one take...

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Jeffro wrote:
Left A Slide wrote:Hey Jeff,
Nice job man! Will you be recording the Whiskeytown show?
I'd love to see it.
Here's Whiskeytown "Strangers Almanac" from Saturday night. It was fun.
https://youtu.be/Iad2hNVJ-mI
Awesome stuff! Keep 'em coming.

Tim in the ATL

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Left A Slide wrote:Hey Jeff,
I'd love to see it.
Here's Whiskeytown "Strangers Almanac" from Saturday night. It was fun.
https://youtu.be/Iad2hNVJ-mI

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

+1

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Jeffro wrote:Oh yeah, I'm recording it. The plan is to use it as my one-take album for this month and put it on YouTube.

Next month I'm performing Patty Hurst Shifter "Beestinger Lullabies" at the Berkeley, which I've already done for the YouTube series. I don't know which album I'm going to record at home...maybe Tom Petty "Wildflowers" or UT "Still Feel Gone."
My vote is for the latter! I would love to see SFG stripped down.

Tim in the ATL

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Oh yeah, I'm recording it. The plan is to use it as my one-take album for this month and put it on YouTube.

Next month I'm performing Patty Hurst Shifter "Beestinger Lullabies" at the Berkeley, which I've already done for the YouTube series. I don't know which album I'm going to record at home...maybe Tom Petty "Wildflowers" or UT "Still Feel Gone."

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Hey Jeff,
I'd love to see it.

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Marianne Taylor - yep, she's still booking shows in the area. Marianne now books shows at Southland Ballroom. Unfortunately the Berkeley lost that room about two years ago, so they're back to their original (smaller) size but with a revamped layout.

And thanks!

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

oooh saw Jason Isbell at the Berkeley, great little room, who is the older lady who used to sit and chain smoke while collecting tixs? Marie Ann Taylor... ?

dude, your video is pretty killer, well done. Fitting that you'll be in Raleigh doing the Whiskeytown album.

Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Hey, y'all. I'm Jeff, the guy from the video.

First of all, thank you for the kind words. It's one thing to hear compliments from friends and family, but reading them in this forum is a whole different story.
megaballs wrote:He plays straight forward with love, the songs in his head, heart and soul. He nails them all solo before playing Catching On 30 minutes in like its the most recognizable and well known. Burp.
Love, heart and soul...that is why I started this monthly project. My goal is to pay tribute to the albums and artists that have struck a chord with me. These aren't albums that I had to learn for the YouTube vids - though there are always a few songs that need work in the days leading up to recording. I'm glad people enjoy the performances, and maybe some folks get turned on to artists/albums they hadn't previously heard.

As for the burp: oops...and hahaha! It crossed my mind to stop playing and start over, but I was too far along. And I lost my voice at that point, thus the missing "I'm catching ooooon" at the end of the song.

If anyone is in central NC, you can catch me playing/recording Whiskeytown's "Strangers Almanac" this Saturday in Raleigh at the Berkeley Cafe. Yep, I'm doing the next album in front of an audience.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Wow, this is just fantastic! He really captures the essence of these songs. Really great.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

This guy kicks ass. Hearing these songs completely stripped to their bones sheds even further light on just how brilliant this record -- and Jay Farrar -- truly is. This guy hits every damn note on the whole record, somehow managing to incorporate sounds from the record that would no doubt be lost in the covers of lesser guitar players.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Man, that ain't no lie. He went through it and a couple from Straightways at the end. There's some not so easy chord arraignments. That's wonderful to see! He covers quite a few albums including the B-Rocks. Awesome

mzkmm

A fellow covers TRACE in one take...

Post by mzkmm »

Really nice job, maybe even superior job, on MAY THE WIND... No time to listen to the rest but will do so sometime.

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

How great is this dude? He plays straight forward with love, the songs in his head, heart and soul. He nails them all solo before playing Catching On 30 minutes in like its the most recognizable and well known. Burp.
Many of us get Jays work, if not mainstream, and that's how we and Jay would want it.
a fleeting smile on my face.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

anyone check out his Bottle Rockets cover?