Techy question about ports and BitTorrent

Prince123

Post by Prince123 »

seen any strange vehicles or generic white vans with tinted windows

calexico

Post by calexico »

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

sawyer wrote:if you can't get to the router admin setup, chances are very good that you can't open the correct ports for BT to work. cliff notes - you're screwed. but i bet somebody here DL'd it and will burn it for you (after i get done with the DVDs).
Hey, thanks for chiming Sawyer.

Actually, I'm downloading it right now, just veeery slowly. Anyway, from I've been able to read up on this, the fact that I'm firewalled means I'm not sharing with the other people, which is bad. I'll just have to work it out with my friend, but he's one of those paranoid types over anything having to do with file sharing. We'll work on it. Thanks!!

-gk-

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

if you can't get to the router admin setup, chances are very good that you can't open the correct ports for BT to work. cliff notes - you're screwed. but i bet somebody here DL'd it and will burn it for you (after i get done with the DVDs).

Lawrence Fan

Techy question about ports and BitTorrent

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Okay, I'm brand new to this and as I write I am downloading the 7/31 show from New Orleans, but I am FIREWALLED!!!

Here's the vitals:
Windows XP Pro (XP Firewall NOT enabled)
Zone Alarm software firewall (free version)

Now the Internet...um...where to begin.

Okay, I connect to the Net via a wireless router. The router, and the person who owns the router and has the ISP, is in an apartment in the building next to me. In my apartment is an amplifier/relay thingy that I hook up to via a physical cable that extends from the relay thingy to the back of my PC. I'm no expert but I'm thinking that if the wireless router is the cause of me being firewalled then I need to talk to me friend about the router. Correct? We aren't networked in an official sense, meaning that we don't have a network group set up and that neither of us can "see" the other's computer. Or if we can see each other's compters then we don't know how.

My friend travels 3-4 weeks at a time and currently isn't home (he uses a laptop) so there's nothing I can do now. What I want to know is 1) Is it possible to access the router settings from my computer and 2) what first steps should we take when he gets home, or 3) is there another workaround?

I want to play nice with this BitTorrent thing so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-gk-

PS I realize there are security issues with our setup but so far I haven't
seen any strange vehicles or generic white vans with tinted windows
parked nearby. :)