Notes of the Blue - new son volt record!

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

Raeshster wrote:The thread is very nice and explanation is also.
The bot is fired up for some new Volt.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Asked and received--thanks Mark for the info. I'm curious who else was involved in the recording? Sounds like Jay took those tapes and is adding--not a live in the studio record. Interesting.
I've said here previously that Angel of the Blues is in my top 5 of all of Jay's recordings, and I think it's a companion piece to Left a Slide. Mark--why didn't Jay play it live? He left it out on the Honky Tonk tour. Does he not like it? Just too sad? Dang, I wanted to hear that at the Fillmore. It's a pretty blue song--convince him to play it live now (like at the Sweetwater!).

Anybody have an extra copy of Sebastapol vinyl? Got the Bottom Line, but nobody seems to have had Sevastapol. Maybe he'll sell it at shows! 👍

Raeshster

Post by Raeshster »

The thread is very nice and explanation is also.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Thanks Mark! I'm pretty sure I'll dig it. New roads ahead sounds
very interesting. Looking over the catalog, I'm
thinking of OFMG and Guthrie stuff. Those were different.
Hanging in there for more tidbits

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Alright! Thanks for the update Mark! Can't wait to hear it and maybe see some rocking shows.

Speaking of Honky Tonk - the lyrics on that album are particularly strong. Lean and mean. Something about it always struck me as different. Like he made some kind of a turn and really trimmed the fat off things (not that his lyrics really ever had fat on them).

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I can't respect a cigarette smoker.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Mark- what instruments did you play during your recording sessions? did y'all record in St. Louis at Coned Meat? 8)

Hell yeah to "cool surprises" and "new roads ahead"!!!!

wait...does that mean the record is done???

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Thanks for the great update Mr. Spencer! Looking forward to those cool surprises - and please let me take this opportunity to put in a good word for Ballymena, hope it makes the new record.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Diggin' the love for Terroir Blues. I asked Jay if there was vinyl of it but I guess vinyl was never made of that one. I guess it'd be pretty long to wrangle onto a single LP. I've got that in the car these days just for the hell of it. Don't really know how to describe the new record but you are going to dig it. I do, for what it's worth, and after I was done working on it there was still a lot more to be done on it. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it turns out. Of course there will be people who will find something to complain about, but that's kinda the last hallmark of what it means to be American...bitchin' about stuff, so, there'll be some patriotism, I'm sure! Just looking at this thread it's pretty obvious that almost every fan has a totally or at least slightly different opinion of what moves them about all of the records, which is of course as it should be. I'm also partial to Angel Of The Blues, and am happy that's been recognized by listeners... but that could be because (and most musicians are tough on themselves and would rarely say) I'm extra fond of my playing on it (I think I play everything but drums and acoustic on it), but it's also at the top of my favorite songs of the whole arc of Jay's stuff, ever since we did the first demo of it. I'm a big fan of 10 Second News and A.O.T.B. hit me in a similar way. I think everyone is going to be enjoying the new music, though...there's some cool surprises in there...new roads ahead!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

That's some weak ass trolling Tex Tom. I love me some Terroir Blues (you can keep the Space Junk), but OATMOR, The Search, ACD, etc...are terrific records...

Drwhetton

Post by Drwhetton »

I'm totally with you on Honky Tonk. Not sure what people are thinking when they say they don't like this album...Every song, to me is awesome. I listen to the whole thing at least once a week.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Looks like i'm the only one here who likes honky tonk album, i mean every songs of it...

For new stuff, i hope we hear good classical country tunes again... more than before...

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Texas Tom

Post by Texas Tom »

turpentim wrote:
Texas Tom wrote:Jay hasn't put out a album, solo or band, that I really liked since Terroir Blues.
Seriously? Not Okemah? The Search? Gob Iron? Kerouac? Guthrie? ACD?

I don't mean to be rude, but if that's so why are you here? I think if an artist had done nothing I liked in 13 years (regardless of how good the stuff may have been 13+ years ago), the last thing I would be doing is perusing and posting on a message board devoted to his fans.

Tim in the ATL
I like a song here and there, but I don't get too excited about new stuff much...really love the older stuff though..thats why I come here, well that and I can do what I want and stuff :)

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Texas Tom wrote:Jay hasn't put out a album, solo or band, that I really liked since Terroir Blues.
Seriously? Not Okemah? The Search? Gob Iron? Kerouac? Guthrie? ACD?

I don't mean to be rude, but if that's so why are you here? I think if an artist had done nothing I liked in 13 years (regardless of how good the stuff may have been 13+ years ago), the last thing I would be doing is perusing and posting on a message board devoted to his fans.

Tim in the ATL