Son Volt Trio at CrossroadsKC, Sept. 23.

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Very fine sounding audience recording here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=573743

KC.BBBS

Post by KC.BBBS »

During my chat with Jason Kardong near the beer stand, after their set he (Jason) told me Jay was circulating among the crowd. And, when I got back to the side bleachers a couple friends told me Jay, "walked right by you guys wearing the steel guitar player's cap."

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

If Jay was circulating in the crowd unknown to you, how do you know it? :wink:

Sounds like the record is done. Can't wait. Vinyl I hope!

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

that's a wonderful story! thanks KC :)

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Thanks for the report! A February release. Awesome!

Tim in the ATL

KC.BBBS

Son Volt Trio at CrossroadsKC, Sept. 23.

Post by KC.BBBS »

The Son Volt Trio was the opening act for the Drive-By Truckers Friday evening, Sept. 23, at an outdoor venue called CrossroadsKC. I’d estimate attendance was close to 1,000.

Jay’s set began a few minutes after 8 p.m. He was accompanied by the multi-talented Gary Hunt (always to Jay’s right) and steel guitar pro Jason Kardong. The sound was top notch and Jay’s voice strong throughout the 16-song set (see below). Every tune struck a chord with me but a particularly haunting version of “Methamphetamine,” some outstanding harmonica work on “The Picture” and the three musician’s work on “Loose String” stood out the most.

If I have a complaint it seemed the Trio rushed through their set. Not through the songs, but in the time in-between the tunes. I suspect that was due to the group being the opening act and being given an allotted amount of time to perform.

Other observations: There are few musicians who can play the strings as well as Gary Hunt. Fiddle, electric guitar, dobro, whatever, the man handles these instruments as deftly as an artist employs a brush. Jay Kardong supported the set with skillful steel guitar work.

After the show, I was lucky enough to speak briefly with Jay. He said the new album, “Notes of Blue,” will be released in February. He also autographed his book (“Falling Cars and Junkyard Dogs’) for a fan. He was accommodating and friendly in the few minutes he spent with us.

During the DBTs set, Gary Hunt and Jason Kardong joined me and a friend for a few beers near one of the beer stands for about 15 minutes. Jay meanwhile, unknown to us, circulated inconspicuously through the crowd, wearing a dark hat that Jason wore during the set.

Patterson Hood of the DBTs, toward the end of the group’s two-plus hour set, paid homage to Jay, SV and Uncle Tupelo, stating that the “No Depression” album had a huge impact on him and fellow vocalist Mike Cooley, when they were starting out.

The SV Trio set: Tear-Stained Eye; Live Free; Catching On; Out of the Picture; Loose String; Route; Ten Second News; Drown; Windfall; Barstow; Methamphetamine; Wild Side; Back Into Your World; The Picture; Afterglow 61; Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35.