Listen to 2 tracks from the new album

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I have no idea what the marketing plan is, but for Neil Young's "Peace Trail" album they'd activate one song every week (for three weeks). Maybe we'll get to preview a few more?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

"Back Against the Wall" is streamable on Apple Music.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Back Against The Wall is an instant classic. Love the chunky guitar solo. Can't wait to hear this one live. Might have to make the trip back to Austin on March 4th.

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

Oh my Gawd. Crank the hell out of "Lost Souls". Oh, and to the idiot that said the Jay doesn't have any fresh ideas in the comments section, go F yourself buddy.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

ThrasherBear wrote:BATW is very Dylanesque (in all the right ways). My Back Pages.
Woody Guthrie comes to mind for me. The message especially. Only Woody could combine devastating realism with hopeful optimism the way Jay does.

Tim in the ATL

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

BATW is very Dylanesque (in all the right ways). My Back Pages.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Alright, after listening to Back Against the Wall about three dozen times I'm ready to say this is now my all time favorite song written by this genius, bar none. I don't know what the other eight tracks will be like, but this one just flat has it all. The voice, the lyrics, the music, the message.

There will be times of injustice
Times when there's more lost than found
Down times mixed with days of wonder
A real life spinning merry-go-round

Unless you're a hermit living in a cave, I believe this summarizes pretty much everyone's life. I know it does mine.

Thank you Jay.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

First of all thank you Jay Farrar and the crew for this beautiful album!

Back Against The Wall really sounds just like good old Wide Swing Tremolo days very much. Great tracks like Medicine Hats, Strands or Hanging Blue Side... Those were the days... Back Against The Wall will be a must track for the new setlists in my opinion.

Lost Souls have some delicious heavy guitar tones. Really nice to listen over and over again. Like Neil Young hanging with AC-DC on the stage.

To be honest, these are all pretty nice surprises for us. Many of us expecting something different, maybe more experimental things from the band.

Son Volt back into the roots again that's very clear. And if we compare with nowadays mainstream works from many old boys, without a doubt Notes of Blue looks very precious and unique.

Now i am curious for the other tracks of the album. Cause both "Back Aganst The Wall" and "Lost Souls" are classical Son Volt for me. We know some new influences like Junior Kimbrough or Skip James. Let's wait and see where they are.

One more thing. Wish special edition album art version includes "Ballymena" and "Yellow Walls" bonus tracks in the cd/lp. Sadly they're just for digital download.

I really hope Thirty Tigers music management brings good luck to Jay Farrar and the guys. They deserve best for their efforts and production over the years.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

thatbeat wrote:Just was cranking the hell outta "Lost Souls", I'm feeling this one.
Absolutely killer. As loud as Jay has played since Still Feel Gone. And his voice... My god.

Tim in the ATL

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Just was cranking the hell outta "Lost Souls", I'm feeling this one.

I don't like rushing time but I want that album and tour to come soon!!!

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

They're back. Back Against the Wall is seriously off the charts good.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Wow. Just wow. Back against the wall is an anthem for the impending Trump years. Thanks Jay! We needed this.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Back Against the Wall- wow. Jay- thanks for bringing this to us.

some straightforward lyrics on this one.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

BADASS!!!

beatenbynonfiction

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

'Back against the wall' would fit on any of the first 3 Son Volt albums and stand out