notes of blue streaming today....

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

much appreciated
Thanks for the two listens...Hey I already thought this came out Feb 7th...Now I have to wait until the 27th to get the cd shipped. Why doesn't the chain stores sell it? Is it because of IVANKA TRUMP clothin long or clothesline wwe are very happy to hear a new album from Son Volt

and I also came here to say it's great the songs were easy to access...

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Thanks guys. I heard Ballymena during a couple of live shows last year--solid tune. Hadn't heard Yellow Walls...much appreciated.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:<<There are a couple of bonus tracks on the new album including one that’s an Irish traditional tune and another that’s a song by Jackson C. Frank, who was a contemporary of Nick Drake’s.>>

From the ND interview. Nice.
Here's the original 'Yellow Walls':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AsBQdxYgg

Tim in the ATL

derekf

Post by derekf »

TragicFig wrote:<<There are a couple of bonus tracks on the new album including one that’s an Irish traditional tune and another that’s a song by Jackson C. Frank, who was a contemporary of Nick Drake’s.>>

Both of those were played last year on tour at one point or another.

Ballymena, mis-identified as Ballymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYWhXnPzE-4

Yellow Walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqLbFnXD7I

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

<<There are a couple of bonus tracks on the new album including one that’s an Irish traditional tune and another that’s a song by Jackson C. Frank, who was a contemporary of Nick Drake’s.>>

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Hell, I don't care if you've taken a break from listening a bit or not, this is a solid record from any band. Being a Son Volt album makes it a lot cooler. To me, this is the first album I've heard from Farrar that seems to meld all phases of his output together. You have some garage rock that sounds like the early UT days, you have some Trace-esque instrumentation, the sleepy, atmospheric stuff and the newer bluesy stomp. I'm in love with this album and I can't say that about the anything since The Search...and it was up and down for me. But, this is just one man's opinion...

calexico

Post by calexico »

turpentim wrote:
widespreadchanges wrote:
Tupelo Son wrote:So excited to hear this one! Will try to wait 'til it arrives in the mail.
Between this and Calexico's comment that he hasn't listened to Son Volt in years, I'm left wondering if this is indeed a board for fans of Jay Farrar.

To each his own, I reckon.
Why does who I do or don't listen to matter to you? Don't worry about it.

widespreadchanges

turpentim wrote:
Tupelo Son wrote:So excited to hear this one! Will try to wait 'til it arrives in the mail.

One of the best 90s bands? That's something I might say about the Gin Blossoms, The Lemonheads, or Blind Melon. Son Volt is one of the greatest bands of any decade, ever. And Farrar is one of the greatest songwriters alive. Between this and Calexico's comment that he hasn't listened to Son Volt in years, I'm left wondering if this is indeed a board for fans of Jay Farrar. Tim in the ATL you know you're right
I don't care who you are no one tells me i don't like Son Volt. I've missed a few things, I know, even Jet Pilot and Ipecac. I don't own these records. Noel never allowed me to buy them, just like he talked me into not rebuying all dinosaur jr cds....

I like the new Son Volt Notes Of Blue:

I don't like his Unity Concept, but it reminds me of Medicine Hat after about two songs...There's a solo like Route in the second song to stay in line with it's theme about touring....Track 2 is very good. That garagy guitar of track 3 , those new lyrics. I guess if i had to pick a best band of the 90's with only a career in the 1990's it'd be the Morrissey albums..

MongolVolt

Post by MongolVolt »

Got "Cairo and Southern" on the speed dial. Something about the second to last song on any Farrar production holds true yet again. Looking forward to the coming Colorado shows.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

widespreadchanges wrote:
Yep. Ten Second News mentioned rank. I bet the album will be more like the straightfaced song and nothing like Trace. I haven't listened yet either. Son Volt, one of the best 90's bands...Hopefully i can find a place in the kudzu structure and listen on my laptop .
One of the best 90s bands? That's something I might say about the Gin Blossoms, The Lemonheads, or Blind Melon. Son Volt is one of the greatest bands of any decade, ever. And Farrar is one of the greatest songwriters alive. Between this and Calexico's comment that he hasn't listened to Son Volt in years, I'm left wondering if this is indeed a board for fans of Jay Farrar.

To each his own, I reckon.

By the way, the record sounds nothing like 'Straightface.' The instrumentation quite often sounds like Son Volt's first two records, this time with a bunch of raw, primal blues stomp.

Tim in the ATL

calexico

Post by calexico »

This is rather good. First time I've listened to SV in years.

widespreadchanges

Yep. Ten Second News mentioned rank. I bet the album will be more like the straightfaced song and nothing like Trace. I haven't listened yet either. Son Volt, one of the best 90's bands...Hopefully i can find a place in the kudzu structure and listen on my laptop .

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

So excited to hear this one! Will try to wait 'til it arrives in the mail.

TenSecondNews

Post by TenSecondNews »

I'm completely hooked on this album already. Jay Farrar and Co. have really made something special with this album. Give it time, and I dare say I might rank it up there with Trace and Okemah... as one of my favourite Son Volt records.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I really like this after a couple listens. Especially the gnarly guitar tone on several songs.