The new Son Volt's here! The new Son Volt's here!

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

turpentim wrote:
widespreadchanges wrote:This album is just like Sebastopol. It's not any good. I tried to go to sleep and I don't know how you could listen to this crap after Trace-WST...Jay Farrar just isn't any good lyric writer folk musician anymore...Irreversibly Negative. If I want to hear that album I 'll go listen to Drivin N Cryin Check Your Tears At The Door 10 times.... :x
Babelfish doesn't work for shit.

Tim in the ATL
It's great to keep a positive attitude though, even of you are in a nest full of people who work for said idiot band...I was let down by the album but I've bought many albums in hte past 30 years. with Son Volt ranking as my favorite, that I'm not really surprised I'll only listen to it once..

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

widespreadchanges wrote:This album is just like Sebastopol. It's not any good. I tried to go to sleep and I don't know how you could listen to this crap after Trace-WST...Jay Farrar just isn't any good lyric writer folk musician anymore...Irreversibly Negative. If I want to hear that album I 'll go listen to Drivin N Cryin Check Your Tears At The Door 10 times.... :x
Babelfish doesn't work for shit.

Tim in the ATL

widespreadchanges

This album is just like Sebastopol. It's not any good. I tried to go to sleep and I don't know how you could listen to this crap after Trace-WST...Jay Farrar just isn't any good lyric writer folk musician anymore...Irreversibly Negative. If I want to hear that album I 'll go listen to Drivin N Cryin Check Your Tears At The Door 10 times.... :x

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Got my copy via Amazon yesterday. Sounds exactly great.

"The Storm" is my new favorite. Reminds me Gob Iron era. Sounds like Woody Guthrie singing with Mississippi John Hurt and Fred McDowell.

"Midnight" is another killer track. Dirty chord tunes are great. Feels very dark and great. Jay's vocals are awesome.

"Cherokee Street Girl" and "Promise The World" will be great classics like Strands or Back into Your World. Great road tracks...

Thank you Jay Farrar and Mark Spencer for this great tunes...

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Fantastic. A precise and beautifully done
album. Not a wasted note. Perfect after
Honky Tonk. Blah blah...I'm really happy
with this one

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Fantastic. A precise and beautifully done
album. Not a wasted note. Perfect after
Honky Tonk. Blah blah...I'm really happy
with this one

seger_and_priest

Post by seger_and_priest »

Can't wait to hear 'Cairo" live.

widespreadchanges

I like the new music from son volt. It only got a little gritty around track 4 or 5. Pretty Good. I will probably listen to it many more times...

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

So, I'm going to Euclid to buy the vinyl today. Do I get the bonus tracks on the download coupon?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I've listened to it multiple times now and my view has been tweaked a bit: The first two tracks, both of which I like very much, seem to be old school Son Volt. And then the album veers into a direction with the last cut, Threads and Steel, seeming like an outlier (maybe a Honky Tonk-er).

My new favorite is Cairo and Southern, along with Promise the World, Back Against the Wall and Midnight.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Got my copy Friday from Amazon. I really, really like Promise the World and Back Against the Wall.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:The Yellow Walls bonus track is terrific! Hope it's in the live set list....
Agreed. Really a great tune. Much like 'Mystifies Me,' it sounds like it was written for Farrar. Kind of wish the official release included it so more ears would hear it.

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

The Yellow Walls bonus track is terrific! Hope it's in the live set list....

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

wheelhousetunes wrote:Thanks for the info on the downloads! I'm hoping FLAC will be an option.
It is friend. I got mine with the pre order. To be honest, I can't tell the difference from my rip in iTunes to the FLAC files. I'm not saying you shouldn't get the FLAC files. You might hear the difference. My hearing is shot anyway.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The liner note "thank you's" acknowledge Anders Parker. Wasn't there talk of a new Gob Iron at one point?