Track By Track - Notes Of Blue

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

'Midnight' is one of Jay's most powerful compositions ever. In all seriousness, it has to be top 5 songs he's ever written. Sounds like it could have come straight from the mouth of Townes Van Zandt. Very much in the vein of Townes' song Nothin', which is hands down my favorite of his.

Tim in the ATL

TenSecondNews

Post by TenSecondNews »

MIDNIGHT

“Midnight” references the traditional theme of hell and the hope of redemption. I played my guitar through an old bass amp that was lying around Red Pill Studio here in St. Louis. I played guitar through a bass amp to get a deeper, heavier-sounding guitar. Not only was it a bass amp, but it was a solid state bass amp, which all guitar players will agree is the sound of hell because it just puts out a type of distortion that’s strident and can be grating. But I thought it fit the subject matter.

Read more: https://www.relix.com/articles/detail/t ... z4YoZJyQ2V
I would never gave picked that guitar tone as one coming from a solid state bass amp. It does suit the song well though, and really plays into that blues aesthetic of using whatever's laying around at the time.
Last edited by TenSecondNews on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Humorous comment about ZZ Top and the video treatment!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

The most incisive article about the record thus far. Huge Nick Drake influence...interesting. Jay is a complex soul.

Antelope850

Track By Track - Notes Of Blue

Post by Antelope850 »