Atlanta show

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Thanks Tim. Fortunate that my life circumstances permit me to see a bunch of shows right now. Ended one job in Dec and don't start the next one until Jun. Gave serious consideration to doing the entire SE swing. As it is I've got 3 NYC, DC, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Pappys, and LA coming up. Could not be more pumped. Who knows, maybe some more after that if they're not sold out. I'll keep you and the board updated on the shows, though as a fan boy my reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. Understand you're a bit tied down right now--I've been there. Hang tough. TF

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:Thanks much for taking the time to write the heartfelt review Tim. You expressed how many of us on the board feel better than we ever could. I would have loved to have been at Terminal West. You're exactly right about doing whatever is necessary to see shows on this tour. To that end, I bought tix to Flagstaff and Phoenix today, and LA earlier this week. Listened to the Haw River show today, as well. Incredible.

Can't wait to hear Graveyard Shift live and hope they add a couple of other gems here and there.

Free the minds of those who gainsay.
TragicFig, you're living the life of my dreams right now. Just traveling around watching the greatest band on the planet. Cannot express the level of envy. Wish I could keep you company.

Tim in the ATL

phix174

Post by phix174 »

Tim is correct! The Atlanta show was incredible. He's also correct about Irion. Hearing "Graveyard Shift" was worth the drive from Birmingham. I saw them play in B'ham as well. They played just as good, and the same set list, minus "Graveyard Shift." I grabbed Mark's set list after the show, and GS was scratched through for some reason. At any rate, find a way, any way, to get out and see this rocking tour.

jimh2

Post by jimh2 »

Johnny Irion name dropped someone from the music business in every one of those long song intros. It was a little like one of the Monty Python sketches that goes on forever. It goes from amusing, to annoying, to funny again due to how long it's gone on. Not QUITE as good as the tour when Jason Isbell opened...

slowgravity

Post by slowgravity »

turpentim wrote:
TragicFig wrote:Where the heck is Turpentim's thoughts on the show?
Sorry, folks. I spent yesterday recovering from having my mind blown and today trying to entertain my toddler / keep my newborn from screaming bloody terror every 10 minutes.

Atlanta on Friday night was truly a magical place to be. Terminal West was filled to the brim -- loads of enthusiasm and excited energy prior to the show, as evidenced both by the consistent line at the merch table and by the number of folks claiming their territory in front of the stage long before the show began.

Johnny Irion, unfortunately, leaves quite a bit to be desired. He tells loooong stories to introduce songs that frankly aren't very good. But luckily he didn't manage to snuff out the excited energy, and he kept reminding us that we were about to witness "a band on fire."

A band on fire indeed. Son Volt played as blistering a set as I've seen them play since the late 90s. Out of the gate in a rapid-fire fury: Cherokee Street, Lost Souls, Buzz and Grind, Static, Damn Shame... Ears were bleeding beautifully before Jay ever switched to the acoustic for the next few songs.

Midnight and Catching On were mid-show highlights, the former highlighting just how great a vocalist Jay can be and the latter proving that he's lost none of the vocal grit that characterized his early career.

And I can't dream a stronger finale for a show... Can you imagine hearing the following string of tunes to close out? I hope you're fortunate enough to do so:

16. Back Against The Wall
17. Bandages And Scars
18. Driving The View
19. Route
20. Drown
21. Afterglow 61
22. Still Be Around
23. Windfall
24. Graveyard Shift
25. Chickamauga

Are you fucking kidding me? I was close to tears. Graveyard Shift almost killed me.

Folks, do what you must to see them on this tour. Buy plane tickets, make hotel reservations... sleep in your car if you must. You'll never regret a dollar spent or a prior obligation neglected.

It was one of those nights that you start to think deeply about just how much one artist's work has meant to your life, how it has enriched it so, and how it has quite literally formed its soundtrack. I realized Friday night that I have been listening to Jay for 22 years, that I have seen him live on every tour since that time, and that I have been fortunate enough to see him perform countless times across EIGHT different states.

It was a good night.

As an aside, I was pleased to see some new merch, as of yet unavailable online. For instance, I bought a very cool Son Volt bottle opener/keychain and a hipster-trucker hat with SON VOLT emblazoned across the front. Represent.

Tim in the ATL
Thanks Tim!
Bandages and Scars
Driving the View
Afterglow 61

I was trying to go off memory. I spaced out on a few. Hwy 61 haha. Fantastic show! Glad you made it.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Thanks much for taking the time to write the heartfelt review Tim. You expressed how many of us on the board feel better than we ever could. I would have loved to have been at Terminal West. You're exactly right about doing whatever is necessary to see shows on this tour. To that end, I bought tix to Flagstaff and Phoenix today, and LA earlier this week. Listened to the Haw River show today, as well. Incredible.

Can't wait to hear Graveyard Shift live and hope they add a couple of other gems here and there.

Free the minds of those who gainsay.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

yea man, Johnny Irion leaves much to be desired. I was really hoping to catch Anders as an opener. I can't imagine the show with Anders opening for
Son Volt. As Mark Spencer mentioned earlier, Cloud Badge should be seen.
I might catch the Knuckleheads show just to bask in it. Oh well, I'm fired up
for the STL show regardless of the opener. Thanks for the review.

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

That was the best review I ever read. I have known about Son Volt since the Drown video...thanks Turpentim. defunct the pistol ya pay for, jetpilot...anti-pop we'll win...

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Sorry, folks. I spent yesterday recovering from having my mind blown and today trying to entertain my toddler / keep my newborn from screaming bloody terror every 10 minutes.

Atlanta on Friday night was truly a magical place to be. Terminal West was filled to the brim -- loads of enthusiasm and excited energy prior to the show, as evidenced both by the consistent line at the merch table and by the number of folks claiming their territory in front of the stage long before the show began.

Johnny Irion, unfortunately, leaves quite a bit to be desired. He tells loooong stories to introduce songs that frankly aren't very good. But luckily he didn't manage to snuff out the excited energy, and he kept reminding us that we were about to witness "a band on fire."

A band on fire indeed. Son Volt played as blistering a set as I've seen them play since the late 90s. Out of the gate in a rapid-fire fury: Cherokee Street, Lost Souls, Buzz and Grind, Static, Damn Shame... Ears were bleeding beautifully before Jay ever switched to the acoustic for the next few songs.

Midnight and Catching On were mid-show highlights, the former highlighting just how great a vocalist Jay can be and the latter proving that he's lost none of the vocal grit that characterized his early career.

And I can't dream a stronger finale for a show... Can you imagine hearing the following string of tunes to close out? I hope you're fortunate enough to do so:

16. Back Against The Wall
17. Bandages And Scars
18. Driving The View
19. Route
20. Drown
21. Afterglow 61
22. Still Be Around
23. Windfall
24. Graveyard Shift
25. Chickamauga

Are you fucking kidding me? I was close to tears. Graveyard Shift almost killed me.

Folks, do what you must to see them on this tour. Buy plane tickets, make hotel reservations... sleep in your car if you must. You'll never regret a dollar spent or a prior obligation neglected.

It was one of those nights that you start to think deeply about just how much one artist's work has meant to your life, how it has enriched it so, and how it has quite literally formed its soundtrack. I realized Friday night that I have been listening to Jay for 22 years, that I have seen him live on every tour since that time, and that I have been fortunate enough to see him perform countless times across EIGHT different states.

It was a good night.

As an aside, I was pleased to see some new merch, as of yet unavailable online. For instance, I bought a very cool Son Volt bottle opener/keychain and a hipster-trucker hat with SON VOLT emblazoned across the front. Represent.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I second this.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Where the heck is Turpentim's thoughts on the show?

slowgravity

Post by slowgravity »

Cherokee St.
Buzz and Grind
Static*
Damn Shame
Mercy?
Dynamite
Tear Stained Eye
Midnight
Sinking Down*
?
Catching On
Cairo and Southern
10 Second News
Promise the World
Back Against the Wall*
?
Living it Down
Route
Drown
Hwy 61 (Bob Dylan)
Be Around
Windfall
Graveyard Shift*
Chickamauga*
What Goes On* (Velvet Underground)

Atlanta
3/10/17

*= preformed really well.
The show was excellent. It was very clear.
Not too loud. Cool venue. Feel free to help with the
setlist. I was "a little drunk and distracted"
at certain times. Hence the ?'s.
If you were there, I hope you had fun. If you're
seeing them soon, you're in for a wonderful
time. Take care.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Well done Atlanta!!! Wish I could go and meet Tim and the gang...be sure and file a report. Disappointed no Houston report..

Bob Weir

Post by Bob Weir »

Glad I got my tickets the other day. Now I just need to shore up a babysitter.

turpentim

Atlanta show

Post by turpentim »

The Atlanta show at Terminal West is sold out! For anyone who's been there, you'll know that's quite an accomplishment -- a fairly large room.

Who all on here is in for the Atlanta show? I'd love to meet anybody and everybody who'll be there.

Tim in the ATL