Say It Aint So!

banchara

Post by banchara »

For me, I have loved the solo and collaborations like with Ben Gibbard and New Multitudes. I love it all for different reasons. A Jay by any other name...

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

I agree that Jay must feel this is significant. On the other hand, Son Volt seems to be a fiction anyway. Notes of Blue was recorded with only 2 members from Honky Tonk (Jay and Mark--Gary seems to have had a very limited role). Basically Son Volt in the studio is currently Jay and Mark, and an available drummer. So it's not like Jay is carrying a 5 man band waiting around for him. He'll just continue to record with great musicians who fit the nature of whaever he's feeling for that material and are available. And call it Son Volt or not.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Huh, things change I suppose. It's hard running a band and making a life
if there's bigger things like kids and wife. It certainly seems like a somber
transformation, ending an incredible expression like Son Volt.
I only hope Jay stays true to what he is, has built and continues to explore
his music and observations uninhibited by the quixotic nature of the
'business'. 20+ years of a back catalog that will remain timeless isn't bad, yet
it's heart wrenching to think it might end. Encouraging words are mentioned
as well but the future is unclear:

"Politics will definitely be an inspiration for his next album, though. Even before the inauguration, he had already written five songs in the wake of the presidential election and plans to write “a lot more.”

As for where those songs end up, though, it seems unlikely they’ll be on a Son Volt record.

He adds that he’ll always do music in one way or another, but doesn’t know what’s next."

turpentim

Re: Say It Aint So!

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:<<“I think, realistically, this could be the last Son Volt tour,” he says. “It’s been a great 20 years, I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to create and perform with Son Volt, but everything has an endpoint, and the music industry in general these days is kind of quixotic.”>>

http://www.cowboysindians.com/2017/03/s ... blue-note/

Noooooooooooooooo! :cry:
Perhaps it's silly, but I feel like I just got punched in the gut. This is terribly sad news, even if Son Volt has been Jay alone all along, and even if it does mean that Jay will continue to record and tour under a variety of different monikers. I know I will love everything he does until the end of time, but the end of Son Volt clearly marks the end of something, right? If it didn't, why would Jay feel the need to put an end to it?

If it marks an end, it also marks a beginning. The difference between what is ending and what is beginning remains to be seen. And though change and uncertainty is always uncomfortable, I trust that he will continue to enchant us.

Tim in the ATL

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

Well Jay is Son Volt. I guess that when I hear that a new Son Volt album is coming out I think of a loud Rock/Alt Country band record. I really wonder if the name "Son Volt" sells more records than Jay Farrar. I would however bet that the name gets booked into bigger venues than say just Jay or Jay and whoever. "Trace", one of the greatest and groundbreaking albums of ALL time, carries a helluva lot of weight. On the other hand Jay isn't tied down by it.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Of course very sad news to hear that reality. Soon or later we have to face with it.

But we have to look at the bright side. Jay Farrar and great musicians around him like Mark Spencer, Gary Hunt, Chris Frame, Eric Heywood, James Walbourne maybe Brian Henneman or the next talented musicians will be there. We'll hear new tunes and new stories, that's sure.

We'll hear Gob Iron again, probably we'll hear new Uncle Tupelo songs maybe a reunion tour, new solo albums, etc... And live performances and Son Volt songs will be there.

So no need to worry guys.

TragicFig

Say It Aint So!

Post by TragicFig »

<<“I think, realistically, this could be the last Son Volt tour,” he says. “It’s been a great 20 years, I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to create and perform with Son Volt, but everything has an endpoint, and the music industry in general these days is kind of quixotic.”>>

http://www.cowboysindians.com/2017/03/s ... blue-note/

Noooooooooooooooo! :cry: