LA Show (5.1.17)

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

There is a livid and awesome review metaballs... It's one of my fave new hobbies reading what parts of what.When does Thrasher Bear do a review.

:x (could you please post son volt tour dates with your reviews because some people don't believe you worth sheitmetal...)

great review!! I guess since I jam BIYW, PUTS, Caryatid EZ...Thank You jayfarrar.net for the songs to practice...

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

<<Wish Solana Beach Belly Up was on the tour for the second stop for most of us here in SoCal.>>

Hell yeah Mega...to highroad or Transmit Sound or Jay or whomever, SDGO is sweet in the fall/winter!!! Would make a great getaway from cold, rainy STL...just sayin'. :P

<<If anyone cares, (Jay) please please keep this group together and hit the studio and tour again. Don't let it end here.>>

+1000!!

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

Oh man, what a set list in LA. Parked my happy ass next to Mark on the left and I heard him plenty good. What a luxury to have Mark on keys, pedal steel...Always love the cantankerous Mark...Anders too..

my favorite was Catching On..the SV1 stuff...damn shame....what the heck such a long list of great material surrounding one fabulous collection of inspirations that is Notes of Blue. I'm very much down with this post Honky Tonk, electric stuff. This album takes ten years off our age.

I've been preaching Jay beyond my two bros and I am hearing love for Notes of Blue, specifically the tone of the guitars; as it was Chris Frame is amazing and drummer man was perfectly awesome. DuPlantis exudes good vibes.

If I would have heard Happy in addition to VU's What Goes On, I would have been flat out floored. As it was, I drank too much and ended floored an hour after the show.

Wish Solana Beach Belly Up was on the tour for the second stop for most of us here in SoCal...that's a great gig to bring the girl to for some SV.

Big smiles and luck to all, WI Tallman & Tommy Thompson too
If only for a Larry sighting

If anyone cares, (Jay) please please keep this group together and hit the studio and tour again. Don't let it end here

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Not sure I follow that, but ok.

Noticed Jay dropped Still Be Around from the setlist at the Roxy--hope he plays it in SF tonight. And decides that this is the perfect time to break out Angel of the Blues and Left a Slide. 😉[/quote]

widespreadchanges

TragicFig wrote:
I look forward to reading others' reviews of the upcoming shows!
everything happens, but she don't breath onstage, jay farrar and the sebadookie rule of lll. Can there be more fights? Sounds. I will be reading your posts' did' nt TragicFig :x looking forward to the tour and reviews....

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

<<Another great review Tragic! Thanks for all of them. I imagine you are probably exhausted, but in the best possible way. Quite envious of your 2017 tour!>>

Thanks criminals! Fortunate that life circumstances/job situation/timing allowed me to see a good number of shows on this tour. Had a ticket to Flagstaff but couldn't make the logistics work and wasn't willing to do battle at Stagecoach. I used the shows to catch up with old friends across the country. Wish I could have met up with Turpentim, thatbeat, and other board stalwarts...maybe next time. Met some cool folks when I was solo. The great thing about meeting people at a SV show is you already know they have impeccable taste in music. :D

Had a nice long chat with Chris Frame in Brooklyn and a brief chat with Andrew Duplantis in LA. I'm certain this record and tour have increased the SV fanbase, and with Jay stating there is more music to come I'm confident they'll tour again soon...hopefully with the amps cranked to 11..at least I hope so.

I look forward to reading others' reviews of the upcoming shows!

widespreadchanges

Quite envious of your 2017 tour!

what????

criminals

Post by criminals »

Another great review Tragic! Thanks for all of them.

I imagine you are probably exhausted, but in the best possible way.

Quite envious of your 2017 tour!

TragicFig

LA Show (5.1.17)

Post by TragicFig »

What kind of folks pack the house for a Son Volt show on a Monday night? Hard core fans, that's who. Guys with faded Uncle Tupelo, Wide Swing Tremelo, and Gram Parsons t-shirts, and their equally knowledgeable and cool spouses.

Fantastic show at the Roxy last night. The Roxy, located on Sunset Blvd adjacent to the Rainbow Bar (of Warren Zevon fame), is a fairly large, open room, with a little reserved seating set aside, a large, open stage, and a monster sound system--the best possible venue to see SV. And although I don't think the show sold out, it was very well attended. Of the shows I've seen on this tour, with the possible exception of the Bowery Ballroom in Manhattan, this crowd was to my mind the most hard core. People singing along to Driving the View and Bandages and Scars! There was a collective freak out when the band launched in to Graveyard Shift.

Jay was clearly aware that he was playing for his most ardent fans, and also seemed to appreciate the strong turn out on a Monday night for a show that was added to the schedule relatively late. In recognition, he played his heart out, and was drenched in sweat by the end. Catching On,Driving the View, and Bandages and Scars were highlights, and of course, an absolutely off the hook Ten Second News.

St. Jay of Belleville Commentary: None. Back to good old taciturn Jay.

First Encore: Windfall...Graveyard Shift...Chickamauga
Second Encore: What Goes On (Velvet Underground)

My final show this tour (I think). I can only hope and pray that I see this rockin iteration of SV again some day soon. It's been a joyous, life affirming few weeks.