Jay Solo (duo) tour dates

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Just bought my ticket for City Winery Atlanta on 2/7. Now I'm excited! Something about having purchased this ticket and having it on the calendar... I don't care if he's accompanied by Gary Hunt or Jeff Tweedy -- I'm stoked.

Tim in the ATL

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm ok with whoever the duo partner is, but i'd kinda prefer Spencer just to change it up.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

the Live in Seattle album consistently blows me away. that '01 tour was amazing. Spencer is the man.
Asheville again!!! So pumped!!!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I'm for Spencer as the accompaniment. Love this, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpvMalt37I

Don't mind at all if Jay does some solo tour dates ahead of another raucous spring/summer/fall tour :P He has to be happy with how well this year has gone. Record was well received and shows were smokin' and very well attended. But I don't want to see the same City Winery set over and over. Hope he digs deep into the catalogue! In fact, I think we should help him compile his set list. You know he takes his set list queues from the board. I'll start with:

Yellow Walls...

:D

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

How about Eric Heywood? I think he knows that Left a Slide song! And he isn't just a pedal steel player.

Another duo I'd really like to see is Jay and Gary Louris. I've said it before, but their voices would probably blend/contrast beautifully, and the guitars! And the songs.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Antelope850 wrote: I'd love to see a James Walbourne show. I have a recording of a Jay duo show with Walbourne and it's fantastic.

I also wonder if these shows will be Straightaways shows for the 20th anniversary, like the Trace shows were. Haven't seen that advertised so I guess not. But would be cool to see duo versions of those songs.
Now I could get behind both of those ideas! I love Walbourne. Saw him when he was a teenager playing alongside Peter Bruntnell, and I was just blown away. You talk about chops...

And a 'Straightaways' tour would be AMAZING. Can you imagine... Left a Slide, Cemetery Savior, Last Minute Shakedown, No More Parades, Way Down Watson, Been Set Free. Wow. I kind of doubt this will happen though, simply because that record didn't make anywhere near the splash that 'Trace' did and would be hard pressed to draw the same sort of crowds. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

turpentim wrote:
wrecking ball operator wrote:God, please no.
:D :D :D

You know, I've been hesitant to voice this very sentiment. He may be technically great, but he bores me to tears. I'd take Spencer I guess, but I'd really prefer to see Chris Frame.

I must say also that I'm not super excited to see Jay doing the solo tour thing again... The band was ROCKING this last tour, and I don't want him to kill that momentum. And I wonder how this solo tour is going to be any different from the show I feel like I've already seen 10 times before.

Tim in the ATL
Interesting to see even a diehard like Tim express this sentiment.

Don't know if it's Gary on this upcoming tour. There is a low keyness to these shows. But I enjoy Gary's skill on all the stringed instruments he plays. I've seen Jay/Gary 3 nights in a row at City Winery New York, and even on night 3, on a Sunday with the work week looming, and knowing it will be almost or exactly the same setlist as the previous 2 - when the show starts and Jay is in good voice, and Gary is doing the picking, it's always pretty sweet.

The current version of Son Volt is fantastic. And I love when Jay rocks out. Especially when there can be long stretches of solo shows and you're not sure if/when he will rock out again. The Son Volt album and tour this year were awesome. I hope there is another album and tour coming quick. But after a year of Son Volt shows, I'm cool with a solo/duo thing again, and I enjoy the change of pace of the solo shows.

Jay's guitar sidemen all add a slightly different feel to Jay's solo shows. With Mark Spencer you get keyboards and steel. With Gary you get fiddle and mandolin (and steel.) Chris Frame would be great. I'd love to see a James Walbourne show. I have a recording of a Jay duo show with Walbourne and it's fantastic.

I also wonder if these shows will be Straightaways shows for the 20th anniversary, like the Trace shows were. Haven't seen that advertised so I guess not. But would be cool to see duo versions of those songs.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

wrecking ball operator wrote:God, please no.
:D :D :D

You know, I've been hesitant to voice this very sentiment. He may be technically great, but he bores me to tears. I'd take Spencer I guess, but I'd really prefer to see Chris Frame.

I must say also that I'm not super excited to see Jay doing the solo tour thing again... The band was ROCKING this last tour, and I don't want him to kill that momentum. And I wonder how this solo tour is going to be any different from the show I feel like I've already seen 10 times before.

Tim in the ATL

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

God, please no.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I assume Jay will be playing with Gary Hunt again ?

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

turpentim wrote:Any idea why Atlanta is no longer showing on the site? I sure hope that one's still on.

Tim in the ATL
Looks like it must still be a go! It's listed on Son Volt's Facebook page.

Tim in the ATL

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Any idea why Atlanta is no longer showing on the site? I sure hope that one's still on.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Jay Solo (duo) tour dates

Post by Antelope850 »

https://www.highroadtouring.com/artists ... itinerary/

1/31 - Stickyz Rock N' Roll Chicken Shack - Little Rock, AR
2/1 - The Kessler - Dallas, TX
2/2 - The Heights Theater - Houston, TX
2/3 - 3TEN Austin City Limits Live - Austin, TX
2/5 - Duling Hall - Jackson, MS
2/6 - WorkPlay - Birmingham, AL
2/7 - City Winery Atlanta - Atlanta, GA