Wilco/Blue Mountain's "Myrna Lee"

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

unchartedthickets wrote:aw shit...I don’t know how to listen to this track. Is it part of the live concert video?
No, it's not. It's a studio recording. Try this link:

https://soundcloud.com/wilcoworld/myrna-lee

Oddly, this link only lets you hear the first little bit of the song. If you go to the original link I sent and click on the PLAY (>) button on the SoundCloud image, you can hear the whole thing.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

aw shit...I don’t know how to listen to this track. Is it part of the live concert video?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I had no idea that Stirrat/Tweedy wrote it, either! I just looked st the liner notes to see if I missed it, but it doesn't say anything about song writing credits.

Yes, it's a great song. I have Dog Days on my Top 100 Albums list. Maybe I'll listen to Homegrown again and see if it deserves to topple one of the old stalwarts.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Thanks for the link. Great song.

Wilco should have put that one on AM. Could have used another Stirratt track.

turpentim

Wilco/Blue Mountain's "Myrna Lee"

Post by turpentim »

So, I've long considered the Blue Mountain song "Myrna Lee," from the band's 1997 album Homegrown, one of the best alt-country tunes of all time. I have to admit, however, that I had no clue the song was written by Jeff Tweedy and John Stirratt, nor that Wilco recorded (but never released) the song before it ever appeared on the Blue Mountain record. Stirratt's sister Laurie, of course, was (is?) the musical and romantic partner of Cary Hudson, Blue Mountain's brilliant frontman.

Anyway, Wilco's "Myrna Lee" (with Stirratt on vocals) will appear on the A.M. deluxe reissue due out Dec. 1. You can listen to it at the link below. It's beautiful:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... ign=171102

Tim in the ATL