Does anyone know if Jay ever went to any Dead shows?

Lefty

Re: to lefty the most ignorant fuck i know

Post by Lefty »

dharmabeat wrote: What the dead and jay have done for country music is one and the same, expand its horizon.
The Dead were a passable copy of great music- I don't think Jay is that to any degree. If you had said that Gram Parsons expanded country music, I would be inclined to believe this. Doug Sahm-sure. Hillman-yeah. Johnny, and Mearle, and David Allen Coe-agreed. Hank, Bob Wills, crap- even Django would be a good one to make a case for...but the dead??
Again, this is just my opinion (for which I am an ignorant fuck, and the reason you are a dirty hippy) but I think that country, if expanded by the dead at all, didn't notice (OK, I bet Toby Kieth does "tough of Grey" at concerts)- anyway, from what I know about country- this expansion does not exist (nor would you want country music to claim your favorite band as it's guiding light).
As for the Dylan influence- your right there, but Jay takes his influences from everywhere. There are Irish folksongs, lots of country, gospel, bluegrass, and even archival mountain music influences there- I should surely hope that someone who made 7 of my favorite albums would not say that they could trace themselves to one man...and if he did, I really hope he would say Woodie instead-because didn't Bob adopt everything he does, right down to the tremors, from his hero?
Anyway-name calling isn't really cool, and I really don't like the idea of some dirty ass hippy calling me an ignorant fuck- so I hope you choke on the exhaust of your VW while your at an Earth day festival-you dirty hippy

dharmabeat

Post by dharmabeat »

millions of albums? i'm sure they have sold millions of albums...but that's their career totals, not just a single record. in the days of britney spears selling 80 million records in a week, selling millions of albums over the course of 30+ years and 30+ albums doesn't seem too overrated to me.

the grateful dead and jay can both be traced back to the same man.

Bob Dylan

Don't know Jay, wish i did, but i can't imagine him not being influenced at all by the Dead. Not to say he's some big hippie stoner or whatever negativity you want to place on Dead fans, but simply good music is hard to ignore and argue with. ANd the Dead are certainly that.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

dharmabeat wrote:

p.s. over rated? the dead are considered by many as one hit wonders for the song "touch of grey"...which by the way was the only song they ever had crack the billboards top whatever...over rated? i call that under rated
They aren't overrated, huh? Were their fans not legion and diehard? Did they not tour for three decades (as one of the top moneymaking acts of the 90's)? Did they not sell millions of albums?

All of the above is fact.

Here comes my opinion.

They sucked.

Add my opinion to the above irrefutable facts and...

THEY WERE OVERRATED.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

dharmabeat wrote:dude clearly their are relaveant and clear connections between jay and the dead. the dead covered a vast amount of it (you win again, me and bobby mcgee, big river, el paso, sing me back home (not to mention jay covers that one quite requently). What the dead and jay have done for country music is one and the same, expand its horizon.

That's what I should have said. Good stuff.

dharmabeat

to lefty the most ignorant fuck i know

Post by dharmabeat »

dude clearly their are relaveant and clear connections between jay and the dead. the dead covered a vast amount of it (you win again, me and bobby mcgee, big river, el paso, sing me back home (not to mention jay covers that one quite requently). What the dead and jay have done for country music is one and the same, expand its horizon.

p.s. over rated? the dead are considered by many as one hit wonders for the song "touch of grey"...which by the way was the only song they ever had crack the billboards top whatever...over rated? i call that under rated

ctfshjohn

Post by ctfshjohn »

i saw jay come out with the grateful dead in 94.
fantastic. 8)
i saw 100 some shows between 89 and 95.
both artists are constantly in my rotation of music.
peace to all.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Now that the english majors have weighed in on this- I think cowboydown (that is hillarious by the way) has nailed it- the Dead sucked...Jerry's dead, let's move on now

jaybird 2.0

Post by jaybird 2.0 »

I saw the Dead about half a dozen times or so. Never saw Jay there. Hope that helps.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

bigdaddy wrote:There's no play on words - it's just misspelled. There is no word "greatful". The only way it would be a play on words would be if you think they're great.
There might not be a word greatful but the intent was indeed a play on words, i.e. the dead fucking suck(ed).

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

There's no play on words - it's just misspelled. There is no word "greatful". The only way it would be a play on words would be if you think they're great.

Peace.

And the only connection their need be is the connection that both the Dead and Jay write great songs.

Lefty

Re: I'll be greatful when they're dead

Post by Lefty »

bigdaddy wrote:
cowboydown wrote:I'll be greatful when they're dead. Loved that saying. Now we have limp dick copy bands like Phish....et. al.
It's "Grateful" not "Greatful". Jackass.
I guess, if you smoke enough of the goods- you could miss that play on words. Jackass huh?
Ah yes, I miss Jerry too, and the dirty hippy hordes rolling around in busted up trailers. I miss the stank of BO, and the torture that is Jerry Garcia playing the steel guitar (I'll take mine Jeremy Wakefield style please). The two hour jams that sound like kindergarteners in music class, and the Marin County a-holes they became...I miss all that. But most of all, I miss the damn point, how is there any connection between the Dead (yes, the most over-rated band of all time) and anything Jay has done (watch, he'll post that he has a big dead tatoo and screw my whole world up)? Doug Sahm, yes. Gram Parsons, yes. Louvin Brothers, yes...shit, even Hank Williams jr. It's a stretch, but even Iggy and the Stooges are in there somewhere. I would have an easier time seeing a connection between GG Allin and Jay then I do with the Grateful Dead...
I guess I should not be surprised, coming from the guy who started the "hot chicks" thread (and then claimed he was searching for a female perspective and intellectual substance- nice save). Oh well, someone had to get flamed over this one.
There are two things I hate in this world, ocra and hippies. I won't apologize for either.
The redneck is getting harder and harder to hide every day.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

You have got to be kidding me.

Not to shit on anyone's taste but the Dead were the most overrated band ever.

bigdaddy

Re: I'll be greatful when they're dead

Post by bigdaddy »

cowboydown wrote:I'll be greatful when they're dead. Loved that saying. Now we have limp dick copy bands like Phish....et. al.
It's "Grateful" not "Greatful". Jackass.

manshank

Dead Shows

Post by manshank »

Saw 30-40 shows from mid-seventies to mid/late eighties........scene became to much for me. To many people there NOT for the music....late seventies the best years IMO.......last show I saw was in Highgate VT. 1995, left before the show was over........

Miss Jerry so I do..............

Finally got a copy of Cornell 09/77 on CD last week....... :D

cowboydown

I'll be greatful when they're dead

Post by cowboydown »

I'll be greatful when they're dead. Loved that saying. Now we have limp dick copy bands like Phish....et. al.