Son Volt EP

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

Finally got the download last night. I love it. "Dressed In White" is just great. I can't say how much I love the different version of "Sultana". I've been playing the hell out of it since I got the download. Jay just amazes me with how his art is just so damned great release after release.

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

I'm having a problem finding the website to download the ep. I put it in google exactly as it says and I don't see the site. Can anyone help out?? Thanks. Mark T.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Antelope850 wrote:
derekf wrote:Good afternoon, all. I bought the EP and am still waiting on it but being impatient I went looking for it to no avail. The only place I found with a sample is here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/son-vol ... 669403-01/

The sample of Dressed in White is clearly two different songs with the second using the words dressed in white. My question is what is that first song? I'm pretty sure I have everything he's ever recorded but I don't know what that song is. Thanks.
It's all the same song - "Dressed in White". The song changes styles about 2/3 into it. Goes from fingerpicking and jaunty in the first part, to strumming, slower, with some lap steel in the second part.
Thank you. I hope it comes across better on the complete version because I'm not hearing here at all.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

derekf wrote:Good afternoon, all. I bought the EP and am still waiting on it but being impatient I went looking for it to no avail. The only place I found with a sample is here:

The sample of Dressed in White is clearly two different songs with the second using the words dressed in white. My question is what is that first song? I'm pretty sure I have everything he's ever recorded but I don't know what that song is. Thanks.
It's all the same song - "Dressed in White". The song changes styles about 2/3 into it. Goes from fingerpicking and jaunty in the first part, to strumming, slower, with some lap steel in the second part.

derekf

Post by derekf »

Good afternoon, all. I bought the EP and am still waiting on it but being impatient I went looking for it to no avail. The only place I found with a sample is here:

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

I just got my copy today, love the lyric sheet inside, pretty cool.

anyone have a problem with the download? its taking FOREVER!

lucky me I got something to spin this on....

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Got my copy and download code today! Great stuff. Dressed in White *and* Yellow Walls should have been included on Notes of Blue. Both fit well with the rest of the material, and the album is far too short as is. The new version of Sultana is indeed much better than the original, but I still feel like I'm listening to a somewhat dull history lecture with no identifiable melody rather than a song.

Tim in the ATL

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

"Dressed in White" could have easily fit with the Notes of Blue collection--a great piece. "Ballymena" and "Yellow Walls" are the "bonus track" versions from NoB, they are not new recordings.

And as I stated earlier, you will love the new arrangement of "Sultana". Same lyrics (maybe slightly different), but no piano or violin.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Partly because I'm tired of learning "how to write a good essay," and partly because I'm genuinely interested in knowing, I am curious if anyone has any more feedback on 'Dressed in White' and the newly recorded versions of 'Ballymena,' 'Sultana,' and 'Yellow Walls.' I'm still eagerly awaiting my copy (and download code).

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

stevesevera wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote:Ain’t got no record player. Cue the double Son Volt fiddle god damnit
If it helps EP comes with a digital download code, I dont have a record player either so was pretty thankful when I purchased my copy that this was included
Thank you so much stevesevera. I’ll hang the record on the wall
And Bluetooth the f&&$ outta the digital download. I think Brad Sarno
mastered it :lol:

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

wrecking ball operator wrote:Hey Turpy,

I think you'll like this arrangement of "Sultana".
Awesome! I'm stoked.

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Digital download you say! Well, alright! Ordering the frisbee now for the download code! :D

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I got it yesterday and it does come with a digital download.

Dressed in White is fantastic and it's worth getting the ep just for this one. Jay on all the instruments - acoustic guitar (fingerpicking), lap steel and percussion. Nice vocals. It's a great song.

Sultana has the full American Central Dust band playing on it - Masterson on guitar, Spencer on pedal steel, Bryson and Duplantis. Huge improvement on the album version. This version is a real song and it's pretty good.

Love Yellow Walls too.

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

Hey Turpy,

I think you'll like this arrangement of "Sultana".

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

stevesevera wrote:I didnt know it did, ordered just to have it regardless - when you open the packaging theres a little card with a link and code to download inside
Fantastic. Ordering mine now.

Tim in the ATL