All of Your Might

Boots

Post by Boots »

I always took Misunderstood as something to Farrar, not a jab but not a happy little song either

uesbc

Post by uesbc »

While we're at it, I'm SURE that "Shot In The Arm" is a jab at Jay:

"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore"

In all seriousness, debates like this are sketchy at best.

Post by Guest »

Look at the 2nd verse of Hanging on to You for the most obvious UT-based reference.

I think Pot Kettle Black is directed at a different Jay...

smoke

Post by smoke »

I didn't make that same connection, but I will give it a few more spins with that in mind. As I listen to the record, every song sounds inspired by his dad. Maybe that is just me. 'All of your Might' sounds like conversations I have had with my old man--about constantly pushing foward against whatever comes and not taking any shit. Maybe that is just where my head is at these days, but the song is pretty inspirational in a fatherly kind of way.

stevie

yup

Post by stevie »

Yeah, I totally agree. There isnt much point in either Jay vs Jeff post UT comparisons or the comparison of each individuals music to UT. Still its a guilty pleasure to pick stuff like this out, and it might just be true.........................

I just hope that those two patch it up (I hear they have) and all acrimony is gone. I dunno why I want this as I do not know either of them, but the music is so personal to me, I feel like I have some kind of emotional stake in their relationship. Very sad, but its their fault for being so damned talented.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing about that song. In fact, there's a line in a song on YHF where Tweedy writes - I have found a real rival in myself - which I've thought can be read as a snide reference to Jay .. and that All of Your Might is Jay's answer to that. Yeah, who the hell knows and it's probably silly to dwell on that stuff and look for those references. On the one hand I can't stand the comparisons everyone always has to make about their post UT careers - since the bottom line is they're both putting out music as good or better than anyone else the last 10 years or so. But I must admit it can be fun to latch onto a lyric one of them writes that makes you think it's about the other. Even if it's completely offbase.

stevie

Whoops

Post by stevie »

Er! I that thread was supposed to be called All of Your Might. Not very inventive but a little better than just repeating my username!

Now I notice the edit option so forget this post ever existed. Its been a long day (lying by the pool sure is hard).

stevie

All of Your Might

Post by stevie »

It occured to me, and I was wondering what everyone else thought, that All of Your Might could be directed towards Jeff Tweedy. If so it seems, apart from the fool on the telephone, pretty concilatory and goes along with the rumours I hear that those two have patched things up.

It probably wasnt written in this context and is very well just my UT based mind at work, but its a thought.

Secondly, as follow up to my first thread regarding Dent County, I have listened to the song a few more times today and just can't get over it. If Jay Farrar was called John Lennon and the song called Imagine (or some other sanctimonious nonesense) then it would no doubt soon be acclaimed greatest song of all time. He isn't so I guess I can continue to sit on my smug ivory tower safe in the knowledge that I am one of the privelidged few that loves Jay. I wish this weren't the case though.
Last edited by stevie on Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.