Park City, UT (4.5.18-4.7.18)

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Wow! Great find Ant...thanks for the clip. Hope they break it out again! It's a great tune.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Great story.

Jay and Gary have played Yellow Walls live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqLbFnXD7I

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

One more anecdote from the PC shows...after the show on the second night I chatted up Gary Hunt. I asked if they would be breaking out Yellow Walls. He responded by saying that he and Jay were in a dive bar outside of Santa Cruz, CA when they heard the tune. Gary said both he and Jay consider themselves music historians, and they were intrigued by the song because they couldn't place the artist. They researched the artist and quickly recorded the song when they returned to St Louis.

As we were winding up our conversation, Jay walked by on his way out and I said to him, "Gary says he wants to break out Yellow Walls!" Gary protested and said, "Hey, that's this dude's idea, not mine!" Jay responded to me drily, without breaking stride, "He (meaning Gary) can sing it then."

Well folks, if we never hear Yellow Walls live it could be my fault... :D

kennethjart

Post by kennethjart »

Great writeup, Thanks! Sounds like an incredible 3 nights. Great setlists.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Good stuff, TragicFig. Thanks.

I met Jay at a book signing in Nashville a few years ago and he was great. It was a scheduled signing and he was pushing his book, but he took time to chat with everyone who wanted.
I also met Gary Hunt in an Oxford, Mississippi bookstore a few years ago prior to a SV show. He was a very nice guy and that night they closed with Neil Young's "Don't cry No Tears." It was a good night.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Awesome write-up! Thanks for taking the time. And yes, 'Highways & Cigarettes' has been a regular on recent setlists.

Tim in the ATL

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Thanks for the write up Fig. Much appreciated. Cool you made it out there.

I had a trip planned to Park City several years ago but had to cancel it last minute. Been on my list to finally get there. Probably in the next year or two.

I've talked with Jay twice after shows. I was of course wary of his reputation of not really being into that interaction and proceeded with caution. But both times he was very cool and actually put me at ease.

I've spoken with Gary Hunt a few times before/after shows and he's a great guy and very approachable. So is Mark Spencer.

Glad to see a bunch of new Son Volt shows added in August, even if I can't get to them. Hoping it's with the same lineup from the Notes of Blue tour. Hoping I get to see the duo version or Son Volt again soon.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Great write up. Thanks.
It looks like he played stuff from his entire catalog, including the Kerouac movie and New Multitudes. Five songs from Notes of Blue, so still in the promotion stage

Has he been doing Highways and Cigarettes lately? I love that song and was pleased to see he included it.

TragicFig

Park City, UT (4.5.18-4.7.18)

Post by TragicFig »

Just returned from attending the 3 shows in Park City, UT. Here’s a quick report. I’m not a skier so I’d never been to Park City before. It’s a former mining town in the mountains just east of Salt Lake City that is now an upscale ski town. Pretty interesting history with a well preserved Main Street that is now lined with restaurants, bars, and boutique shops instead of saloons and dry goods stores. It’s an easy drive from the SLC airport (weather permitting).

Shows were held at the old Egyptian Theater on Main Street. It was built in 1926 when the country was infatuated with all things Egyptian following the discovery of Tut’s tomb. Very well maintained—seats 266. I’d estimate the theater was about 2/3rds full for the shows. A local theater impresario opened each night with a brief history of the theater and a list of upcoming attractions.

Jay was in good spirits and strong voice all three nights and engaged with the crowd a couple of times during each set. Gary Hunt was aces as always with the fills, especially on Hoping Machine and Strength and Doubt. He shredded on the Townes cover. It was nice of Jay to change things up a bit over the three nights. It was great to hear Meth as the first encore on Day 2. Jay introduced it by saying, "We haven’t played this one in a while." Driving the View opener on Day 3!

As I was leaving the theater on Thursday night one of the ushers mentioned that Jay would be coming out to the lobby to sign merch. SAY WHAT??!! I couldn’t believe it. Jay Farrar, mingling with the fans after the show??!! It was not to be believed. And yet sure enough, both Jay and Gary appeared in the lobby and Jay took up a position behind the merch counter with a signing pen/marker. There were only about 20 fans still milling about when he appeared—they did not advertise that he’d be appearing save for a couple of whispers from the ushers, and everyone scrambled to get something for him to sign. As I was working my way up to shake the alt.country legend’s hand, I heard the woman in front of me ask if she could get a picture with him. "Yeah, if you make it quick" he replied curtly. WHAT’S THIS? A PHOTO OP WITH JAY TOO?!! I said a few words to Jay—congratulated him on the record, the tour, etc., asked about future plans, would it be a mix of duo and full band shows? (he said yes, plus some recording). Got a quick pic with my music hero and was on my way.

He also appeared the following night, and I said a few brief words to him again before chatting with Gary Hunt. Both Jay and Gary were incredibly gracious and affable during the signing sessions, but I could tell it was something that Jay was merely enduring—it’s just not his thing. He declined to appear after the Saturday night show.

In sum, good time with a great artist. Met some cools folks too. Ballymena-Storm-Hoping Machine was the highlight for me. Townes cover was smoking. Meth is an incredible song. Here are the setlists:

5 Apr 18

the picture 
question
cherokee st girl 
promise the world 
bakersfield
back into your world 
[comment wishing trump was more like jack kerouac] 
these roads dont move 
seawall 
strength & doubt 
highways & cigarettes 
tear stained eye 
-------------------
ballymena 
the storm 
hoping machine 
back against the wall 
sinking down 
bandages & scars 
drown 
afterglow 61 
hearts and minds 
------------------- 
windfall 
white freight liner blues (townes cover)

6 Apr 18

the picture 
question
cherokee st girl 
promise the world 
bakersfield
back into your world 
[comment wishing trump was more like jack kerouac] 
these roads dont move 
seawall 
strength & doubt 
barstow
tear stained eye 
-------------------
ballymena 
the storm 
hoping machine 
back against the wall 
sinking down 
bandages & scars 
drown 
afterglow 61 
windfall
------------------- 
methamphetamine
still be around

7 Apr 18

driving the view
hoping machine
question
cherokee st girl 
promise the world 
bakersfield
back into your world 
[comment about 3.2 beer in UT—so bad I wanted to give up drinking] 
seawall 
strength & doubt 
the picture
tear stained eye 
-------------------
hearts and minds 
ballymena 
the storm 
methamphetamine 
barstow
back against the wall 
sinking down 
bandages & scars 
drown 
afterglow 61 
windfall
------------------- 
still be around
white freight liner blues (townes cover)

{changed the lyrics of white freight liner blues from
Well, it's bad news from Houston
Half my friends are dying
Oh, white freightliner, won't you steal away my mind

To

Well, it's bad news from Washington
Half the people there are lying
Oh, white freightliner, won't you steal away my mind}