Denver, CO 12.30.18 Setlist and Review--NEW TUNES!!

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

ThrasherBear wrote:Great setlist and The 99 sounds tremendous. Just curious, why did the band travel from their various homes to Denver for 2 shows, with nothing else on the schedule for months? Kinda odd. Did Jay say anything about that (yeah, I know it's Jay and the answer is likely "no you idiot, have you ever seen him live?").
Pretty sure the club requested SV specifically. Great venue (used to be a brothel) and they served up some really kick ass food as well (the owner is the chef, I believe)

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Would be great to meet you Tim. I'll try and make it work!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TragicFig wrote:Great news Tim! I may have to try and make the Southeast swing this year!
Hope you can! Would love to catch a show with you and put a face with the name.

Tim in the ATL

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Great news. Bring on the dates !!!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Great news Tim! I may have to try and make the Southeast swing this year!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I received word yesterday from Son Volt’s tour manager over at High Road Touring that the band will be announcing 2019 tour dates shortly — "in the coming weeks." He was nice enough to divulge that Son Volt will be in Atlanta in June. This 2019 is gonna be one hell of a year!

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Nah, of course there was no mention of why Jay took the gig. I'm guessing it's because it made financial sense to play. The prices were considerably higher than a standard show, and the shows were very well attended. Let's keep in mind they are professional musicians who have to earn a living. Anyway, I hope they made a packet.

As their shadow manager I propose they tour extensively in 2019, especially on the west coast!! :D :P

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

Great setlist and The 99 sounds tremendous. Just curious, why did the band travel from their various homes to Denver for 2 shows, with nothing else on the schedule for months? Kinda odd. Did Jay say anything about that (yeah, I know it's Jay and the answer is likely "no you idiot, have you ever seen him live?").

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

OMG, such great news. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to hear the new tunes!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Holy Jesus.

Tim in the ATL

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

Wow awesome review
Have fun Tonight but pull that phone out for the new tunes!

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Hay'all Yay'us! Can't wait for the tour dates to be announced. Hoping for another Grey Eagle show in Asheville. Thanks Fig!

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Thanks for the report Fig! Great stuff. Wish I was there tonight.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Thank you so very much for the update TragicFig!!!
Hotly anticipating the new tunes 8)

TragicFig

Denver, CO 12.30.18 Setlist and Review--NEW TUNES!!

Post by TragicFig »

Flew up from San Diego today to catch the first of two shows at Ophelia's in downtown Denver. Clear, cold night. Ophelia's is a cool spot. Multi-level venue with a couple of good sized bars and good chow. Kind of a House of Blues set up with general admission in front and tables/bench seating around the perimeter and above on the upper level. Friendly vibe. Show was sold out. There were at least half a dozen folks looking for a ticket out front including a couple of couples who probably thought they could get tix by walking up the day of...

Didn't catch the acoustic opener. SV came on at 10:30. They opened with the standard set:

Lost Souls
Static
Buzz and Grind

And then Jay stepped up to the mike to say "This next song is off of our new record--it won't be out for a few months, though--it's called "Devil May Care."

I can only apologize in advance to SV Nation that I don't have an audio or video clip of this new tune, but I can tell you that it is excellent. A mellow rocker that features the refrain of, well, "Devil May Care...." It's a first rate, well-constructed, all around winning song. Next came:

Back Into Your World
Sinking Down

And, then, "This one is also on the new record." Jay didn't announce the title, and I jotted it down as "99 Percent," but I saw it written on the set list after the show as "The 99." Team SV, this tune is an INSTANT SV CLASSIC! Hard charging power chord rocker with blistering lyrics about how the 99 pct are getting screwed in today's society. I'd read that the new record took its cues from protest records of yore--and we're all aware of Jay's admiration for Woody Guthrie--and I'm guessing Devil May Care's lyrics are in the protest song vein, though I couldn't work them out on only one listen. But there's no mistaking the rhetorical fury unleashed in The 99. It's more overtly political even than Backs Against the Wall--we're talking Jet Pilot territory here. And what's more, it fucking shreds!! It left me a smoldering ruin and wishing there had been still more verses. I'm guessing this will be the record's signature tune, and will be the song that gets airtime on KEXP, WMVY, etc. Look for it to be on the playlist of the Dems seeking to the stoke the crowds during the run up to the 2020 presidential election. Next up:

Cairo
Cherokee Girl
Ten Second News
Backs Against the Wall
Bandages and Scars
Driving the View
Route
Drown
Hwy 61

------------Encores----------
TSE
Windfall
Chickamauga

A special night for SV fans, as we got glimpses of the new record. If the two songs played tonight are any indication, we're in for another dollop of kick ass music from Jay and the crew. My only complaint is that the show was not quite loud enough. Hope they crank it up a little more for New Year's Eve. I'm looking for the band to break out "Midnight Hour."

Apologies again for not having audio or vid. I'll try and take some amateurish video of the new tunes with my iPhone tomorrow night.

(I have an extra ticket for tomorrow. If you are in the Denver area send me a PM and I'll hook you up.)

2019 to be another GREAT year to be a SV fan. Thanks in advance to Jay for the continued incredible artistic output. Raise your champagne glasses tomorrow to Jay Farrar and UNION!