First Listen to "Devil May Care"

Tokyo Fan

Re: Keyboards (and pedal steel) fill out the sound

Post by Tokyo Fan »

ThrasherBear wrote:I for one think Mark's keyboards and pedal steel add welcome color and texture to the Son Volt sound. Guitars, bass and drums are the core, but they are all really rhythmic instruments. The Hammond (or the pedal steel) give color and sustain that really bolster the sound. Think The Dead, the Heartbreakers, Pink Floyd, even the Stones.
I would very much like to see Jay on stage in a Jon Anderson circa 1972 "blouse". :shock:
I agree with you as to color and texture. The keys are just swirling around, filling things out.

I'm looking forward to how this track fits in with the other songs. Initially I was thinking this was a Honky Tonk album type song, that it would easily fit into that particular flow.

ThrasherBear

Keyboards (and pedal steel) fill out the sound

Post by ThrasherBear »

I for one think Mark's keyboards and pedal steel add welcome color and texture to the Son Volt sound. Guitars, bass and drums are the core, but they are all really rhythmic instruments. The Hammond (or the pedal steel) give color and sustain that really bolster the sound. Think The Dead, the Heartbreakers, Pink Floyd, even the Stones.
I would very much like to see Jay on stage in a Jon Anderson circa 1972 "blouse". :shock:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I was gonna wait until the album was released to give this tune a listen but I couldn't do it. I love the song. It's been running through my head since the first listen.

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

Great video-- thanks for posting.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Nice little promo video for the album here:

https://youtu.be/dXDhUau4TsI

Tim in the ATL

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

You heard it first here! Son Volt to do a twang version of Yes’s entire Fragile album in flannel capes!! James Brown, Elvis, and Liberace editions forthcoming. Limited edition flannel vinyl pressing out Saturday, April 13, 2019.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

SV are gonna add Roundabout to their encore rotation! Great. Not sure Jay can hit the higher register. The Wakeman reference reminded me again of this great clip...one of the best rock and roll stories ever told...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-lBnTc3So

amzie

Post by amzie »

Last edited by amzie on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

I was thinking it might be nice if everyone pitched in and got me a Rick Wakeman-style cape to wear in Son Volt, like a Nudie or Manuel-style number, maybe with glittery depictions of your favorite songs from the first three Son Volt records...some of these venues are chilly in winter, you know.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Let’s just add more insult and ask why Mark isn’t playing
guitar instead of keys. I really like the stripped down duel guitar
Sebastopol stuff where Mark then Gary added wonderful sounds
to Jay’s work. Why don’t that translate into a full band deal with
Mark on lead guitar? Chris is awesome too. No offense to any
Sons of Volts

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Mark Spencer wrote:
countryfeedback wrote:It’s a good tune. My only complaint and I am probably in the minority here is that I just don’t like the keyboard. It’s just sounds too much like The Search and American Central Dust, which don’t get me wrong I love both. I want to hear Frame and Jay’s guitars more and less keys. It’s just superfluous, but hey that’s just me.
Thanks!
Sorry Mark, no offense intended.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

countryfeedback wrote:It’s a good tune. My only complaint and I am probably in the minority here is that I just don’t like the keyboard. It’s just sounds too much like The Search and American Central Dust, which don’t get me wrong I love both. I want to hear Frame and Jay’s guitars more and less keys. It’s just superfluous, but hey that’s just me.
Thanks!

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Just listened via spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/track/4NCVxyiXDQyxtPSCtrhKLs

Has many things which makes Son Volt solid, unique and beauty.

Tastes a little bit another classic Back Against The Wall and reminds me some works from New Multitudes project. Gutriesk notions makes it great. Can't wait to listen other stuffs. Thank you Son Volt for great stories and meaningful tunes.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

It’s a good tune. My only complaint and I am probably in the minority here is that I just don’t like the keyboard. It’s just sounds too much like The Search and American Central Dust, which don’t get me wrong I love both. I want to hear Frame and Jay’s guitars more and less keys. It’s just superfluous, but hey that’s just me.