The 99

Kerbdogma

Post by Kerbdogma »

Good Post JR29 👋

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I found this on Thrasher's Wheat:

"Holy shit! Have you guys heard the new Son Volt? Jay Farrar is channeling a heavy Neil Young vibe. "

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

One thing that struck me immediately upon hearing the track for the first time was the deliberateness of its pace. It’s a song that could easily — perhaps even naturally — be sped up to a much faster tempo, but that would strip it of its ominous and shamanistic power. It’s all in the plodding delivery. Jay’s subtle genius at work.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

turpentim wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote:It’s shamanistic in delivery. Vague enough to encapsulate the world and applicable to the references.
Beautifully worded. It is indeed shamanistic... ominous and deeply serious. And unlike Jet Pilot, it is vague enough to remain timeless in all its immediate topicality.

Tim in the ATL
Ominous! Exactly. I happen to have worked in and around Furgeson.
I know a journalist that covered the debacle. The first sentence of the
song strikes the chord - Journalists in jail covering the scenes.

We could go back and forth about it but it’s true. Journalists were rounded up,
thrown in jail, and in some cases beaten. It was chaos and social unrest of an order we haven’t seen in a while.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

unchartedthickets wrote:It’s shamanistic in delivery. Vague enough to encapsulate the world and applicable to the references.
Beautifully worded. It is indeed shamanistic... ominous and deeply serious. And unlike Jet Pilot, it is vague enough to remain timeless in all its immediate topicality.

Tim in the ATL

unchartedthickets

No actual Dakota Pipeline or Furgeson reference. That’s cool. It wouldn’t
be better either way. I like that Jay mentions the impotus. The Frame blues riffs are cool. This song seems like it could shred live with Jay and Chris on electric and that Hammond organ sound in the ether. it’s shamanistic in delivery. Vague enough to encapsulate the world and applicable to the references. "99%. 99%. It’s a trickle down world like you’re stuck in cement"

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

It’s a great song. Several awesome guitar parts from Chris Frame. Listened to these two songs on repeat off and on throughout the day. So excited to hear the rest.

Tim in the ATL

mraney

Post by mraney »

Damn! This sounds really good. I am really looking forward to the new record and tour.

Mike

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

It's activated on streaming services now, too. So back-to-back with Devil May Care.

unchartedthickets

Re: The 99

I haven’t listened to it because I’m savoring it for a killer drive with it in the
bubble of my singleverse. Right off the bat, the man says in the article, Ferguson and Dakota Pipeline. Balls out, no question. Not even Nugent or
Kid Rock would touch that shit..,or even the Tweed come ta think.

Antelope850

The 99

Post by Antelope850 »