The 99

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Whoa! Tiny Elvis posting politics. Damn, I did wake up in a Farrar board time warp! Hello, Tiny E. I see you still have a wrong-headed worldview. :lol:
You know I'm just fucking with you. It's been a long time since we agreed you're nuts and you'd buy me a beer if we met. :P

phix174

Post by phix174 »

A response to the T.E. comment about Jay riling up a group he isn’t part of: I can say with certainty that if you’ve been to Belleville, IL you know that he didn’t come from the 1%. There’s a significant difference between those born into the 1% and never experiencing the struggles of the 99% to those who may have risen out of it due to talent, hard work, etc. One does not need to remain in that "group" to speak out against inequalities. I’ve always appreciated his perspective and talent to approach such topics. These issues don’t disappear from sight as one climbs the rings of tax brackets.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Jay has balls to write the real facts and has creativity to make beautiful tunes.. whatever the mainstream says and care... Can't wait to see our guy at Sakan Fest/Croatia this summer.

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

I should have said "high quality songwriters". :wink:

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

jeffc17 wrote:Toby Keith!
Or, as I much prefer to call him, Koby Teeth!

Tim in the ATL

jeffc17

Post by jeffc17 »

Toby Keith!

ThrasherBear

Post by ThrasherBear »

This is not that complicated. Jay Farrar is an artist who (newsflash?) has strongly held beliefs. He often writes and sings about these beliefs. If they offend a listener, he or she does not have to listen--go find quality songwriters/musicians who believe in Wilbur Ross (good luck).

Jay would not be Jay if didn't do this occasionally.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

amzie wrote:Pussy hats are worn by women who want free birth control and abortion on demand. Noble political causes?
Missing the point. You elected a proud pussy grabber to make YOUR small world better. If it weren’t so disturbing for the country I’d laugh. Pussy Hats
aren’t about abortions. Noble political causes - look at the environmental impact of this shit stain President. Look at the dramatic down turn of the working class in terms of tax breaks for the wealthy. We all know trickle down doesn’t work. Look at foreign policy - China, Iran, Syria, N. Korea...etc.
If you give a fuck about kids...taking all ready born children from ‘illegals’??
Pussy hats are a symbol of female empowerment . Go adopt some fetuses if you care that much.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Pussy hats are worn by a bunch of WOMEN.
Last edited by amzie on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unchartedthickets

Do the people who use ‘pussy hat’ as an insult prefer the alternative?
Will Son Volt wear pussy hats on tour? I hope NOT for the first and
HELL YES for the second.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

TinyElvis wrote:You're comparing income inequality to slavery and the Holocaust? You want a government entity to dictate how much each family should make and distribute accordingly? Your pink-pussy hat must be on too tight.
I hope for your sake that you’re smarter than you lead one to believe. Inequality is inequality. And yes, I absolutely think it is the responsibility of the government in an ostensible democracy to provide some regulation in the way income brackets are taxed, such that those who make the most are taxed the most by percentage, and such that the wealth of the richest 1 percent is more equitably distributed in order to bolster the middle class and help the impoverished emerge from poverty. But hey, maybe it’s my pussy hat. Or maybe it’s your MAGA hat.

Tim in the ATL

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

turpentim wrote:
TinyElvis wrote:So Jay is trying to rile up a group that he isn't even a part of? Sounds like a familiar strategy.
I'm certainly not here to debate Jay's annual salary, net worth, etc., but I will say that, by most estimates, one has to make around $400,000/year to be in the top 1 percent. I don't know if he makes that or not, and I don't care. What I do know is that Jay, like many who are *definitely* in the 1 percent, knows right from wrong and understands the devastating consequences of severe income inequality. And "rile up"? Perhaps you mean "voice support for"? "Express outrage on behalf of"?

Also, yes, it is a familiar strategy. And thank goodness for that. What are you getting at here? I suppose white abolitionists shouldn't have fought for the freedom of slaves because they themselves weren't black or enslaved? And all gentiles should have just looked the other way when Nazis were sending Jews to their deaths? And I suppose all straight people shoudn't care one way or another about the rights of the LGBTQ community? And fuck the homeless; I'm not homeless.

WTF.

Tim in the ATL
You're comparing income inequality to slavery and the Holocaust? You want a government entity to dictate how much each family should make and distribute accordingly? Your pink-pussy hat must be on too tight.

unchartedthickets

turpentim wrote:
TinyElvis wrote:So Jay is trying to rile up a group that he isn't even a part of? Sounds like a familiar strategy.
I'm certainly not here to debate Jay's annual salary, net worth, etc., but I will say that, by most estimates, one has to make around $400,000/year to be in the top 1 percent. I don't know if he makes that or not, and I don't care. What I do know is that Jay, like many who are *definitely* in the 1 percent, knows right from wrong and understands the devastating consequences of severe income inequality. And "rile up"? Perhaps you mean "voice support for"? "Express outrage on behalf of"?

Also, yes, it is a familiar strategy. And thank goodness for that. What are you getting at here? I suppose white abolitionists shouldn't have fought for the freedom of slaves because they themselves weren't black or enslaved? And all gentiles should have just looked the other way when Nazis were sending Jews to their deaths? And I suppose all straight people shoudn't care one way or another about the rights of the LGBTQ community? And fuck the homeless; I'm not homeless.

WTF.

Tim in the ATL
Tiny E tryin to rile up a group he ain’t part of?
I like seeing a little ‘outrage’. Means things
are getting through. I’m all for artists expressing
themselves and reacting to the world. If they don’t,
the work is bullshit in my opinion. This doesn’t include
flag waving and booty flapping. I’m personally happy that
Jay has the right mind to mine history and current events
outside the influence of Info Wars, Breitbart, and the president’s
own media outlet, Fox.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

WTF.

Tim in the ATL

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

So Jay is trying to rile up a group that he isn't even a part of? Sounds like a familiar strategy.