Reality Winner

mtruslow

Post by mtruslow »

farrarfan1 wrote:Stealing a classified report, that may have contained uncorroborated intelligence, that was produced by an agent involved in the investigation and was in the possession of one of the agencies conducting the investigation and releasing it to the public clearly did not prove anything. She also did not blow the whistle on anyone. Winner then admitted what she did was wrong, apologized for it and agreed to a five year sentence but she will always be remembered as the person who blew the case wide open and was unjustly prosecuted for her heroism.
Well, Daniel Ellsberg, Chelsea Manning.........the list goes on and on. It's nothing new.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Damn, you're right--Winner will move on up in the 99%.

By the way, Both Trump and HRC spent millions on Facebook and Instagram ads, far more than the Russkies. An election fought online?

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Can't disagree with you, apparently her dad was allowed to choose her name and said he always wanted a "Real Winner" so that's how her name came about. At least that's what I read on the interwebz. And once the book and movie deals start rolling in she'll be really successful.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Hi Tom Nice homage to my keyboard incompetence111

One thing you must admit about Reality Winner, regardless of your opinion on her actions and punishment, is that she made quite a success of her life, pre-theft and/or whistleblowing, in spite of having the type of parents that would name their child Reality and all of the life baggage such a name brings.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

DOC is in teh house111

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Damn! It's the Jay Farrar message board 2006-2008! :lol:

As a very liberal music lover with a penchant for common sense, my view is that if you want to immortalize someone as a political prisoner, Reality Winner is a poor choice. I find most, but not all, of Farrar's political songs too heavy-handed and too topical to become classics of the genre.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Stealing a classified report, that may have contained uncorroborated intelligence, that was produced by an agent involved in the investigation and was in the possession of one of the agencies conducting the investigation and releasing it to the public clearly did not prove anything. She also did not blow the whistle on anyone. Winner then admitted what she did was wrong, apologized for it and agreed to a five year sentence but she will always be remembered as the person who blew the case wide open and was unjustly prosecuted for her heroism.

amzie

Post by amzie »

I think the Russians made some attempts to hack software and the computers of voting officials, but I think that they were either unsuccessful or their efforts were not significant in the actual voting.

Apparently the Russians smeared HRC on Facebook with bogus ads while prompting negative reactions to race and immigration that actually caused people to change their votes to Trump? Makes the American people seem kind of easily manipulated.

HRC being called a "sadistic sociopath" by Assange could have had some impact, though I guess he's nuts.

This whole thing is weird.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

amzie wrote:There is no proof that Russians attacked any voting machines, which is what the NSA report leaked by Winner suggests.

OK?
:D I know I haven't seen any (but I'm not part of the NSA).

amzie

Post by amzie »

There is no proof that Russians attacked any voting machines, which is what the NSA report leaked by Winner suggests.

OK?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

amzie wrote: From what I have read, there is no proof that Russians attacked any voting machines, as Winner suggested. Apparently, Americans were susceptible to the Facebook propaganda as well as the email leaks.
It's the NSA report that made the suggestion. Reality Winner just passed on the report.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Well, I guess it's pretty clear that Russian meddling came in the form of fake Facebook postings to influence voters as well as key leaks of hacked emails by the WikiLeaks founder who hates HRC. I guess it's hard to quantify the numbers influenced, though some believe it was enough to sway key voters.

I did not realize this until the Mueller report was finished, because I am as uninformed as many Americans.

From what I have read, there is no proof that Russians attacked any voting machines, as Winner suggested. Apparently, Americans were susceptible to the Facebook propaganda as well as the email leaks.

Though Trump has been more or less cleared of collusion with the Russians, most people probably believe that he was involved.

John J.

Post by John J. »

keep going.

John J.

Post by John J. »

nice one

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

My point, and yes it was sarcastic, is that the 1% is made up of some of the most beloved people in the world, and yes they can fight to find a solution to the problem of economic inequality but how many have chosen to do so? And obviously the ones who have have failed miserably.

And speaking of common sense, let's exercise a little of that here and realize that this song, no matter how great a tune it is, is not going to have any impact on the issue. Now, this not a knock on his political beliefs, and I hope the album is a huge success and makes a butt load of money for everyone involved, but let's don't kid ourselves into believing that a three and a half minute song is going to do anything to help solve a problem that has existed in this country for decades.

Economic inequality is nothing new. It was first measured around 1915 and has been documented and studied by the government and private sector ever since, and here we are 100 years later and no one has a clue about how to fix it. And quite frankly, I doubt either party has the will or motivation to seriously look for a solution. It's an incredibly complex problem and whatever one side proposes as a solution will be fought tooth and nail by the other, and both sides can go home and tell their constituents that they're working tirelessly to help them. The circle of life goes on.

Everyone better get used to it because it's been around a long, long time and it ain't gonna go away any time soon.