Paste Magazine "Union" album review

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I think I need to make time to listen to New Multitudes (the deluxe, of course) and Por Vida. Then, Alejandro Escovedo's The Crossing. And finish off with Mermaid Avenue before a nice listen to The Symbol on headphones.

Cleanse the palate.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Hypocrisy, thy name is "Union."
Last edited by amzie on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Tokyo Fan I have not listened to that song yet so I can’t answer your question, I was talking in general about the album. I realize that not all of the songs on Union are political or divisive , I like to think maybe he realizes there are fans out here who have enjoyed his music and supported him for many years that don’t share his disdain of republicans or see the country turning into one big scene from The Walking Dead because Trump has been in the White House for two years. Or maybe just ran out of political material.

I do think the notion that we can "solve" or "fix" political division in this country is a pipe dream, like solving or fixing racism or achieving world peace. The best either side can do is keep it alive and well and in the public eye and use it to their political advantage to help win elections.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The song ""Union" can't possibly be divisive (can it?!).

To me, this song speaks lyrically to some of my own interactions with friends that I vehemently disagree with (when it comes to politics) but still think the world of.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

"On the other, the "cultural divide" Farrar refers to here is the seemingly insurmountable — but FALSE — division between left and right, between progressives and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans. He is saying that it is all too easy, and irresponsibe, to choose a side — left or right — and run with it, when what unites us is far greater than what divides us. The "better way" he is referring to is the recognition that we are all in this together, that our basic needs and dreams are the same, and that we should recognize opportunities for UNION over division."

I'm trying to understand how "it is all too easy, and irresponsibe, to choose a side — left or right — and run with it," when the key player in all of this does that very thing.

And I've got nothing to get over, it is what it is.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Of course we all choose our sides. Not to would require inaction and apathy. Conviction begets allegiance. It is Jay’s conviction that the left is far more attuned to the needs of the overwhelming majority of Americans, progressive and conservative — from affordable healthcare to a living minimum wage to our climate emergency. I don’t know how anyone can disagree, but if you do, good for you. You’re entitled to your opinion. So is Jay. Jay has a microphone and a record deal. You don’t. Get over it.

Tim in the ATL

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

I would argue that he chose a side many years ago and has been running nonstop with it ever since. His side believes democratic presidents are good, republican presidents are bad. He has written songs critical of the last two republican presidents, but not as much as a single sentence critical of the democrat that served for eight years between them. But hey, that's why we have a two party system that people can choose from to represent what they believe, and then fight to keep their side in power as long as possible.

This album is not about uniting people with opposing political views, it's all about helping a democrat win the upcoming presidential election. His political belief is that Trump is bad for the country and has to go, so keeping the issues that divide the country in the spotlight, and making sure Trump is seen as causing them all even if he isn't, is an extremely important political tool. What better way for him to help get his side back in power than release an anti-Trump album followed by a tour to get that message out to as many people as he can, and, as an added bonus, make some money at the same time.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

amzie wrote:"There is a cultural divide, but the differences really aren’t that great. It’s easy to pick one side and just run with it," he says. "This was my way of saying there’s a better way."

WTF does Farrar mean here? I thought that HE thought that there is a huge cultural divide based on income, race, etc. That this divide had split the country and somehow was reinforced by Trump's victory. Now I am completely confused. Easy to pick one side? Huh?
There are two issues here, and you’re conflating them. On the one hand, there is a very real divide in income and wealth. On the other, the "cultural divide" Farrar refers to here is the seemingly insurmountable — but FALSE — division between left and right, between progressives and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans. He is saying that it is all too easy, and irresponsibe, to choose a side — left or right — and run with it, when what unites us is far greater than what divides us. The "better way" he is referring to is the recognition that we are all in this together, that our basic needs and dreams are the same, and that we should recognize opportunities for UNION over division. Most of us, liberal or conservative, want the same basic things for ourselves, our families, and our country.

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Post by amzie »

"There is a cultural divide, but the differences really aren’t that great. It’s easy to pick one side and just run with it," he says. "This was my way of saying there’s a better way."

WTF does Farrar mean here? I thought that HE thought that there is a huge cultural divide based on income, race, etc. That this divide had split the country and somehow was reinforced by Trump's victory. Now I am completely confused. Easy to pick one side? Huh?

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Garden & Gun review and the Union album

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/strea ... bum-union/

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

amzie wrote:Was the Reality Winner section changed--edited?
Yes, they've edited the Reality Winner part. Writer maybe checking out this board...

amzie

Post by amzie »

Was the Reality Winner section changed--edited?

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Lazy writing indeed. And "ragged vocals"? C'mon. I give the reviewer a 2.6. Weak.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

feels like lazy writing, read the press release and changed that around

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Clearly, the reviewer has NO clue about any person named Reality Winner. I kind of like the idea that the term "Reality Winner" could serve as a double entendre for Trump, but the reviewer clearly doesn't intend the irony. And how is that the album received a rating of 6.8 (one of the lowest I've ever seen Paste dish out) while the review has literally nothing negative to say about it?

Tim in the ATL