Union (song) lyrics

jeffc17

Post by jeffc17 »

Totally agree on Mark's work on Caryatid Easy. Sent chills down my spine. That's my favorite song anyways

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

You’d never guess it by the album, but the live version of the Union with Chris Frame playing slide guitar and Mark Spencer on lap steel reaching amazing sounds-it’s like the entire album is about everyone’s angst and sense of chaos politically-it all culminates in the extended jam ending making the song show closer material.

See enough Jay and you start noticing each run of shows have their subtle differences. Interpretations. This is basically a three guitar bonanza show (when Mark gets off of keys). I haven’t enjoyed Drivin the View or Medication or Caryatid Easy as I have this week with Mark being set free. His guitar solo on "Kerry Had It Easy"was sublime

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

wrecking ball operator wrote:http://confluencecity.blogspot.com/2010 ... 9.html?m=1[/quote

pure gold

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Wow! I clicked on the last song (Shall We Gather at the River). Chapter 120?!

Anyway, thanks for posting this.

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

wrecking ball operator

Post by wrecking ball operator »

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

The other thing I like about this song is that it sounds like it’s the recording done at the Guthrie place. Less studio and more field recording sounding.
Jay mentions sitting next to the handwritten lyrics to This Land Is Your Land
and recording. I want to think that this is one recorded sitting in the museum
next to the display in armless plastic chairs. You can hear the knuckles hit the guitar. You hear a familial and historical phrase past down from father to son.

amzie

Post by amzie »

My mother was a code breaker for the WAVES during WWII. She was raised in rural PA during the Depression.

She believed in implementing National Service--2 years following high school. She felt that it was important to serve the country in some way.

HOWEVER, she was a staunch Republican.
Last edited by amzie on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

turpentim

Re: Union (song) lyrics

Post by turpentim »

amzie wrote:Who is the "he" who said national service would keep the union together???
His father, "Pops" Farrar, who served with the Merchant Marine and was a brilliant storyteller and folk musician. Read this: https://www.nodepression.com/pops-farra ... s-it-down/

Jay got his political convictions from two sources primarily: 1) his father, who came upon his own convictions the hard way (by living through the worst of times and administrations); and 2) by watching the very life of his hometown get choked out by Reaganomics.

Tim in the ATL

amzie

Union (song) lyrics

Post by amzie »

Who is the "he" who said national service would keep the union together???