Tour begins TONIGHT

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

unchartedthickets wrote:
turpentim wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote: ... if you weren’t well acquainted or nostalgically dysfunctional ...
Thanks for this, uncharted. "Nostalgically dysfunctional" is, without question, the best description — nay, diagnosis — I’ve heard for the myriad folks who still long for some mythical lost version of Jay Farrar. The man is pumping out brilliant record after brilliant record; alas many of the dyed-in-the-wool will not be able to acknowledge or enjoy that fact until these latest records themselves retreat into some distant and irrecoverable past.

Tim in the ATL
Thanks Tim. We both have the same idea about Jay Farrar. I fumbled around trying to figure out how to phrase the problem I have with some of the comments on this board regarding Jay’s output of late. I feel like "Nostalgically Dysfunctional" fit in terms of your perfect reading - "...the myriad of folks who still long for some mythical lost version...".

It refers to this idea that Jay or Son Volt isn’t good any more because the songs lack the same quality they had in the 90’s. ‘Mid Tempo’ and ‘History Lessons’ keep coming up in negative feedback. There’s a myriad of folks who would disagree with the negative comments too. I keep changing my mind about Jay’s songs, and I like that. There’s something new to hear. To me, as someone who has written their fare share of songs on boomboxes, 4-track cassette, adat, and hard-drives...the new songs speak in similar ways. They come from the same heart, mind and hands as the old songs. Seeing the band tare through over two decades of work is astonishing. Hearing the new songs next to the old songs "sounds like heaven".
I've compiled my own playlist (The Cream of Jay Farrah) and if I subtract the covers (including, according to Apple Music, "Ain't No More Game" (sic) and a couple of Tupelo songs played live, I have 50 songs. I think Trace is perfect, so it's all there. Still, I have 20 original songs from the post-SV.1 period, and didn't have any problem picking them. "Honky Tonk" is my least represented, just with Shine On. I guess I'm not a Bakersfield fan. Right now.

Off the new one, I've included The 99, Devil May Care and The Symbol. But I could have added The Reason and When Rome Burns, too.

Personally, I think the Farrar/Parker songs on New Multitudes are stellar. I even considered knocking something off of my top 100 album list to accommodate. But am holding off for now.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

turpentim wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote: ... if you weren’t well acquainted or nostalgically dysfunctional ...
Thanks for this, uncharted. "Nostalgically dysfunctional" is, without question, the best description — nay, diagnosis — I’ve heard for the myriad folks who still long for some mythical lost version of Jay Farrar. The man is pumping out brilliant record after brilliant record; alas many of the dyed-in-the-wool will not be able to acknowledge or enjoy that fact until these latest records themselves retreat into some distant and irrecoverable past.

Tim in the ATL
Thanks Tim. We both have the same idea about Jay Farrar. I fumbled around trying to figure out how to phrase the problem I have with some of the comments on this board regarding Jay’s output of late. I feel like "Nostalgically Dysfunctional" fit in terms of your perfect reading - "...the myriad of folks who still long for some mythical lost version...".

It refers to this idea that Jay or Son Volt isn’t good any more because the songs lack the same quality they had in the 90’s. ‘Mid Tempo’ and ‘History Lessons’ keep coming up in negative feedback. There’s a myriad of folks who would disagree with the negative comments too. I keep changing my mind about Jay’s songs, and I like that. There’s something new to hear. To me, as someone who has written their fare share of songs on boomboxes, 4-track cassette, adat, and hard-drives...the new songs speak in similar ways. They come from the same heart, mind and hands as the old songs. Seeing the band tare through over two decades of work is astonishing. Hearing the new songs next to the old songs "sounds like heaven".

unchartedthickets

Tokyo Fan wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:How has the audience reaction been to the new songs? Are there any, in particular, that seem to be crowd pleasers?
From what I saw the crowd was just happy to see the show. You might say the older tunes from Trace, Straightaways, & Wide Swing Tremelo got a ruckus round of applause. The band was fresh and electric and they churned out the
songs. The band rocked. That about sums it up. The new songs sounded great
in the line up. It was a seamless set and if you weren’t well acquainted or nostalgically dysfunctional, the songs sounded like they came from one version of Son Volt. I have to say that the show had some balls. Jay, Chris and Mark S. played amazing guitar together.
Thanks. I just listened to Union again today. I can imagine The 99 is especially a stand-out live track.
Starting the show off the The 99 was pretty hot. There was an energy in the band and every song was kicked up a notch. It’s a wicked band Jay’s got right now.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

unchartedthickets wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:How has the audience reaction been to the new songs? Are there any, in particular, that seem to be crowd pleasers?
From what I saw the crowd was just happy to see the show. You might say the older tunes from Trace, Straightaways, & Wide Swing Tremelo got a ruckus round of applause. The band was fresh and electric and they churned out the
in the line up. It was a seamless set and if you weren’t well acquainted or nostalgically dysfunctional, the songs sounded like they came from one version of Son Volt. I have to say that the show had some balls. Jay, Chris and Mark S. played amazing guitar together.
Thanks. I just listened to Union again today. I can imagine The 99 is especially a stand-out live track.

unchartedthickets

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

How has the audience reaction been to the new songs? Are there any, in particular, that seem to be crowd pleasers?

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Digging Waterloo! Killer!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Holy shit that is a GREAT set list! World Waits For You and Caryatid Easy! Plus they kept Bandages and Driving the View. Sweet!!!

FANTASTIC Encores!

Gonna have to travel for some shows!!!

unchartedthickets

Set List from 4/19/19 Rose Hall

The 99
Lost Souls
Waterloo
Sinking Down
The Picture
The Reason
Union
Reality Winner
While Rome Burns
Cherokee Street
Devil May Care
Medication
World Waits For You
Bandages and Scars
Driving the View
Caryatid Easy
Route
Drown
Afterglow 61
Tear Stained Eye
Windfall

Encore:

Hearts and Minds
Back Against the Wall
Jamin Me (Tom Petty)

Set list is identical to the previous night except the last song during the encore. The band was tight and they rocked. The sound was really good. Standing room only in front of a small stage. Wonderful place to see Son Volt. They poured drinks right. Love this version of Son Volt. See them!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I compared setlist with 23 song setlist of August 13, 2018 (Weesner Family Amphitheater):
Now: kept 11 songs, dropped 12

New this time: 6 off of new record, and 1 more from Gob Iron. Then, added:
Hearts and Minds
The Picture
Medication
World Waits For You
Caryatid Easy
-----
Monkey Man

Dropped:
Static
Buzz and Grind
Damn Shame
Out of the Picture
Dynamite
Midnight
Back Into Your World
Cairo and Southern
Ten Second News
Promise the World
Chickamauga
-----
Walls

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The new Gob Iron track sounds great!

Setlist: 6 songs from Union; 4 songs apiece from Trace, Okemah and Notes of Blue; 1 song apiece off of Straightaways, WST, The Search, Honky Tonk and Gob Iron (new); and nothing from American Central Dust. And then the terrific Stones cover.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Looks good to me. Bring on Memphis and Birmingham.

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

I’m surprised only 6 songs from the new record have made the live show. I guess perhaps more will be introduced to the setlist down the road, but it would be out of character for Jay to alter this setlist at all for the remainder of the tour. We shall see!

Tim in the ATL

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Okeman wrote:Hay'all yay-yus! Caryatid Easy...
Yessir! And ROUTE!

Tim in the ATL