Jay live on WFUV

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Tupelo Son wrote:Custom Bonanzinga or Indonesian Gretsch.... it's still all Jay.
Truth

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Custom Bonanzinga or Indonesian Gretsch.... it's still all Jay.

unchartedthickets

Tupelo Son wrote:
unchartedthickets wrote:Awesome! I noticed that Jay played a series of Gretsch acoustic guitars when Son Volt played in Columbia recently. They looked like the same model he’s playing in these vids, just tuned differently for songs. Is that his go-to guitar now? Just curious as to why it’s all Gretsch.
I was curious about that, too. The Gretsch(Rancher) he's playing is a $375 "beginner" acoustic.
I looked it up and it does appear to be the Rancher as you mention. In terms of being out on the road and needing a handful of guitars for different tunings and such, they might be a decent workhorse guitar. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with cheapies every now and then. With a full band in a bar the difference in sound may be negligible. In a small studio with good sound, a decent guitar works and traveling with your sacred axes gets tenuous.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

unchartedthickets wrote:Awesome! I noticed that Jay played a series of Gretsch acoustic guitars when Son Volt played in Columbia recently. They looked like the same model he’s playing in these vids, just tuned differently for songs. Is that his go-to guitar now? Just curious as to why it’s all Gretsch.
I was curious about that, too. The Gretsch(Rancher) he's playing is a $375 "beginner" acoustic.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Terrific acoustic versions. Thanks for posting!

unchartedthickets

The 99 sounds killer like Tokyo says

unchartedthickets

Awesome! I noticed that Jay played a series of Gretsch acoustic guitars when Son Volt played in Columbia recently. They looked like the same model he’s playing in these vids, just tuned differently for songs. Is that his go-to guitar now? Just curious as to why it’s all Gretsch.

Tupelo Son

Post by Tupelo Son »

Nice performances. thanks!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Nice! Thanks, Antelope. The 99 sounds especially good with the harmonica. And Jay's vocals are spot on.