Jay Farrar Songwriting Credits

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Am continuing to get sucked into the songwriting vortex. I did NOT find Waterloo listed yet for Jay. And I checked both under his name and also, as performers, for Gob Iron. I did see "Union" though.

Here's some numbers I've saved into my notes, just being curious:

Songwriters Totals:
Paul McCartney:246BMI/906ASCAP=1152
Elvis Costello: 671 ASCAP
Ryan Adams: 544 BMI
Neil Young: 80 BMI/449 ASCAP=529
Bob Dylan: 525 (counted on wiki list)
Roger Waters: 393 BMI/103 ASCAP=496
Van Morrison: 491 BMI
Jeff Tweedy: 386 BMI
David Gilmour: 184 BMI/ 126 ASCAP=310
Gary Louris: 287 BMI
Jay Farrar: 257 BMI
Anders Parker: 181 BMI
Mark Olson 175 BMI
Alejandro Escovedo: 173 BMI
Brian Henneman: 92 BMI

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Jay's BMI song count has mysteriously grown by 8 songs overnight; now at 257.

Some songwriters have songs on both BMI and ASCAP. Farrar doesn't, but McCartney has 246 BMI/906 ASCAP. Neil Young 80 BMI/449 ASCAP. I can't find Dylan on either one. It appears he's on SESAC but I don't know how to navigate over there.

Tokyo Fan

Re: Jay Farrar Songwriting Credits

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:After listening to that podcast where Jay discusses having written all the songs for the Kerouac project, etc., I became curious and searched on BMI.

Jay has sole or co-writing credits on 249 songs (as of now). Some of the New Multitudes stuff is pretty interesting. Some songs (Careless Reckless Love) has all 5 as co-writers; the four plus Guthrie. Dope Fiend Robber has 3. Hoping Machine just Guthrie and Jay. New Multitudes (the song) is listed twice. One version with 2; one version with 5 writers.

Kerouac project. Yep, just Jay and Kerouac (on ASCAP).
Isn’t it correct that Ben Gibbard wrote the title track for the Kerouac project, "One Fast Move (Or I’m Gone)." I remember reading that Farrar contributed all of the songs except for that one, and that Gibbard wrote that one. Seems like an accidental oversight by Farrar in this podcast.

Tim in the ATL
You are right, Gibbard wrote that one:

ONE FAST MOVE OR I M GONE
TITLE
TITLE DETAIL
BMI Work # 10991877
ISWC # T-904801824-2
Total Controlled by BMI: 100.00%
SONGWRITER/COMPOSER CURRENT AFFILIATION CAE/IPI #
GIBBARD BENJAMIN D BMI 197777498
PUBLISHERS CURRENT AFFILIATION CAE/IPI #
BMG PLATINUM SONGS US BMI 595808890
WHERE I M CALLING FROM MUSIC BMI 479602129
ARTISTS
JAY FARRAR AND BENJAMIN GIBBARD
Disclaimer

turpentim

Re: Jay Farrar Songwriting Credits

Post by turpentim »

Tokyo Fan wrote:After listening to that podcast where Jay discusses having written all the songs for the Kerouac project, etc., I became curious and searched on BMI.

Jay has sole or co-writing credits on 249 songs (as of now). Some of the New Multitudes stuff is pretty interesting. Some songs (Careless Reckless Love) has all 5 as co-writers; the four plus Guthrie. Dope Fiend Robber has 3. Hoping Machine just Guthrie and Jay. New Multitudes (the song) is listed twice. One version with 2; one version with 5 writers.

Isn’t it correct that Ben Gibbard wrote the title track for the Kerouac project, "One Fast Move (Or I’m Gone)." I remember reading that Farrar contributed all of the songs except for that one, and that Gibbard wrote that one. Seems like an accidental oversight by Farrar in this podcast.

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Jay Farrar Songwriting Credits

Post by Tokyo Fan »

After listening to that podcast where Jay discusses having written all the songs for the Kerouac project, etc., I became curious and searched on BMI.