Chattanooga show — 5/11 (Lucy Dacus too!)

turpentim

Re: Request?

Post by turpentim »

ThrasherBear wrote:Wait, is this implying that all I have to do is get some attractive girl to write "Please play Left a Slide" on a piece of paper, leave it front of Jay and sulk away? Cool!!!
You actually don't even have to be attractive... Wait, was that mean?

Tim in the ATL

ThrasherBear

Request?

Post by ThrasherBear »

Wait, is this implying that all I have to do is get some attractive girl to write "Please play Left a Slide" on a piece of paper, leave it front of Jay and sulk away? Cool!!!

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

unchartedthickets wrote:Driving the View kills me. I have only thought that was the sound until watching this band. Frame’s play adds to Boquist’s genius shit. This current lineup is tasty. Thanks for these vids Tim.
Well, I misspoke about how this current band destroys a Son Volt Classic.
I only referenced Chris Frame’s input. I forgot to mention Mark Spencer’s guitar contributions. Three guitars holding it down sounds amazing, not to mention d & b

unchartedthickets

Driving the View kills me. I have only thought that was the sound until watching this band. Frame’s play adds to Boquist’s genius shit. This current lineup is tasty. Thanks for these vids Tim.

unchartedthickets

turpentim wrote:Here's some video... 'Chickamauga' footage starts just after the song has begun. You'll also notice a pretty big screw-up on the part of M. Patterson at about the 1:18 point in Chickamauga, as he accidentally continues the verse drumbeat into the bridge ("A miracle might point the way..."). Jay and Chris Frame both visibly react to signal him to stop. Hey, they're human. And this was a request that they had not rehearsed. Still a scorching rendition, and a perfect closer to the show. And there's just something so awesome about watching Jay shred on those solos.

Chickamauga
https://youtu.be/DyH3wwjfbn4

Bandages & Scars
https://youtu.be/Blwdmv9JQe0

Driving the View
https://youtu.be/5Wh6YRCTf1Y

Tim in the ATL
Are you fuckin serious?! Son Volt :twisted:

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Here's some video... 'Chickamauga' footage starts just after the song has begun. You'll also notice a pretty big screw-up on the part of M. Patterson at about the 1:18 point in Chickamauga, as he accidentally continues the verse drumbeat into the bridge ("A miracle might point the way..."). Jay and Chris Frame both visibly react to signal him to stop. Hey, they're human. And this was a request that they had not rehearsed. Still a scorching rendition, and a perfect closer to the show. And there's just something so awesome about watching Jay shred on those solos.

Chickamauga
https://youtu.be/DyH3wwjfbn4

Bandages & Scars
https://youtu.be/Blwdmv9JQe0

Driving the View
https://youtu.be/5Wh6YRCTf1Y

Tim in the ATL

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Godzilla!!!! LOL! Tremendous!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Medication is awesome live. My very first post on this forum was after seeing the band play in Tokyo when touring after Okemah. I was blown away by Medication then, too.

I finally figured out how to view my initial post (when I posted the set list for March 31, 2006). The two encores then were Godzilla and Chicamagua!

I grabbed the set list from the stage that night but can't find it. Damn.

phix174

Post by phix174 »

I attended the Chattanooga show, as well. So stoked I drove up from B’ham! One of the best SV performances I remember in recent years. What a rocking show! That lady with the request note felt she was being ignored, so she folded it up into a paper airplane and tried reaching the stage with it — it didn’t make it over the monitors, and she was spoken to by the bouncer. Glad he played the request, though.

In atypical fashion, Jay didn’t grab *his* setlist, so I was happy to nab it before leaving. Can’t wait for the several June shows I plan to attend.

Set (per the setlist for brevity):
The 99
Lost Souls
Sinking Down
Waterloo
The Picture
The Reason
Union
While Rome Burns
Cherokee St
Devil May Care
Medication (my nite: this was badass — took some video)
Bandages
Driving the View
Caryatid
Drown
Afterglow
Tear Stained
Windfall

Encore:
Hearts + Minds
Back Against the Wall
Jammin Me (written vertically) substituted with Chickamauga by request

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

If setlist.fm is to be believed, World Waits For You was also cut from Chattanooga.

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane »

They played it in Asheville. Sounded great, too.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

turpentim wrote:Videos still to come... Haven’t had a chance to upload to YouTube yet with all the Mothers’ Day goings-on. I promise to post later. I wanted to add to my post from last night to say that fans in Chattanooga are particularly keen on Chickamauga, as the Chickamauga National Battlefield (site of one of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War’s Western Theater) is just a few miles away in nearby Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia. It was really special for Jay to bend to the request pressure and play this one, in Chattanooga particularly.

Also, they did NOT play Reality Winner. Not sure why not. Has this been in the set over last few shows (Charlotte, Saxapahaw, Asheville, etc.)?

Tim in the ATL
It's not showing up as being played on May 7 and 9. There isn't any set list posted for D.C. (the 4th) so I don't know if Reality Winner was played there or not. It was played at the show before that.

Okeman

Post by Okeman »

Great story Tim. That is too cool!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Videos still to come... Haven’t had a chance to upload to YouTube yet with all the Mothers’ Day goings-on. I promise to post later. I wanted to add to my post from last night to say that fans in Chattanooga are particularly keen on Chickamauga, as the Chickamauga National Battlefield (site of one of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War’s Western Theater) is just a few miles away in nearby Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia. It was really special for Jay to bend to the request pressure and play this one, in Chattanooga particularly.

Also, they did NOT play Reality Winner. Not sure why not. Has this been in the set over last few shows (Charlotte, Saxapahaw, Asheville, etc.)?

Tim in the ATL

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I'm looking forward to seeing that video, Tim. Thanks for the account that gave us the background behind it all.