Chattanooga show — 5/11 (Lucy Dacus too!)

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Love it! Thanks Tim. Look forward to the vids!

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

An absolutely blistering show. The sound and the energy was perfection.

I’ll post a full report later, but for now let me say this... For the first time I’ve ever seen or even heard of, Jay played a REQUEST! Several folks in the crowd had been yelling for Chickamauga throughout the night, and then this poor girl wrote "PLEASE play Chickamauga" on a sheet of paper and brought it front and center where Jay could see it. He seemed to ignore it for several songs, and then he and Duplantis started smiling a bit between themselves. Meanwhile, the poor girl gave up. Walked away sulking. Then, to close the show, Jay said, "We’re actually going to play a request. What’s that song called?" He smiled a wry smile and the crowd erupted into chants for Chickamauga. And then.... "You never leave on your own..." It was magical.

We got no Stones or Petty. We got Uncle Tupelo instead. And yes, I got video. I’ll post it tomorrow.

Tim in the ATL
Last edited by turpentim on Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Great stuff Tim. We expect a full report. Thanks for the tip about Lucy--I'm gonna check her out.

turpentim

Chattanooga show — 5/11 (Lucy Dacus too!)

Post by turpentim »

Anybody else out there planning on going to the Chattanooga show this Saturday? It’s at Songbirds, which doubles as a guitar museum and is on the same campus as the historic Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel. Museum closes at 5 pm on show days, so I’ll be sure to be there in time to take a gander. And I’m planning on staying the night in one of the hotel’s train cars.

What’s particularly special about this evening is that Lucy Dacus is performing an entirely separate show at 7 pm on the venue’s North Stage (Son Volt is at 9 pm on the South Stage). I’m a huge fan of Dacus’s first two records, so I’ll definitely be at both shows. I confirmed with venue staff that the North Stage show will definitely be over in time for the South Stage show — they don’t allow shows to be going on both stages at once due to sound interference.

So, two shows in one night without ever having to leave the building... My only concern is whether one building can contain both Farrar’s and Dacus’s talent in a given night.

Tim in the ATL