New Album: Electro Melodier

Tokyo Fan

Re: New Album: Electro Melodier

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The album continues to do well. After “falling” from #3 to #4 (on roots album chart), it went up to #2 and then, as of now:
4▼LW2 Electro Melodier by: Son Volt

‘Reverie’, the single, ▼ 10 8 Reverie

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

On Roots Music Reports album chart: currently (week ending August 21) at #4. Prior week it hit #3; week before that at #13. Not too shabby.

Single: Reverie went from #40 all the way up to #7. And I see The Globe just entered new at #49.

amzie

Post by amzie »

Damn good. I give it 5 stars.

Best work since OATMOR, as someone (Tokyo Fan) mentioned earlier.
Last edited by amzie on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Americana Music chart. “Reverie” at #12, up from #14.

Redsun

Post by Redsun »

Very compact, very solid album. Thank you Son Volt. Includes best parts of Notes of Blue/Union. Lyrics are very expressive. It encourages you to think and ask deeper questions about society, individual and systemic problems of daily life. Well-founded skilled songwriting is one of Jay's most important talents.

There are many impressive songs that stand out. Some songs are clearly similar to Jay's previous successful catalog, but there is also some new syntheses.

"Lucky Ones"really reminds me Charlie Rich style, as Jay stated in an interview before... like a song from "Behind Closed Doors" album. Very honest tunes & feelings.

"Arkey Blue"based on a really good pattern, very nice road song. Intro/Outro fits well.

"Someday is Now" and "Like You" are my favorites right now. And of course D&C. Laura Cantrell's vocals... Mark Patterson's deep beats and Mr Spencers meaningful steel guitar tunes... Very strong song.

Whenever I listen to "Reverie" it always reminds me "The Reason" from Union album. By the way "War on Misery" feels like some Gob Iron concept and got some "Sea Engines" (a very touching composition from Kerouac album) tastes on "Like You".

With all its similarities and differences, we are very lucky to have this great new album in these challenging times.

unchartedthickets

Post by unchartedthickets »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:29 am
unchartedthickets wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:31 pm
I’m on the fence with Living in the USA.
“Dividers in the room riding platforms of fear
While rapid-fire hearts make way for tremolo tears”
Will the reference to ‘tremolo years’ nudge you off the fence? 😁
Ha! Perhaps. I’m a sucker for Jay’s writing and musical references 8)

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Paste Magazine review. 7.0 and well-written:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/son ... um-review/

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

unchartedthickets wrote:
I’m on the fence with Living in the USA.
“Dividers in the room riding platforms of fear
While rapid-fire hearts make way for tremolo tears”
Will the reference to ‘tremolo tears’ nudge you off the fence? 😁
Last edited by Tokyo Fan on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

unchartedthickets

The Levee on Down is my second fav right now. Cheezus that’s gorgious right before These Are the Times. Get sucked in.

unchartedthickets

Tokyo Fan wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Live treatment: Union, the song, was, in my opinion, much better live than the studio version. I’m sure there might be a few on here that’ll turn out that way, too. But, yeah, I can’t wait to hear Arkey Blue live (even though, in this case, I think it is stellar as is).
I remember Reality Winner being a knockout live. Jay, Chris, and Mark on the triple guitar attack. Mark Spencer man…yea. I think my 12yr old will let me rock out in Chesterfield if I take her to Billie Eilish. This is almost the same band as with Union except Horton for Frame. I think that’s an even trade. Another triple guitar attack. This band is hot and probably itching to play live. We’ve had a crazy past year

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

unchartedthickets wrote:
Would you count Mystifies Me as a Son Volt song? I would. It sounds better than Ronnie Wood’s. What do these sound like live? I hope Arkey Blue gets the jammed-out treatment.
I count Mystifies Me as a Son Volt track. And it’s exquisite. Achingly beautiful.
Live treatment: Union, the song, was, in my opinion, much better live than the studio version. I’m sure there might be a few on here that’ll turn out that way, too. But, yeah, I can’t wait to hear Arkey Blue live (even though, in this case, I think it is stellar as is).

unchartedthickets

There are a couple great runs for me starting with Reverie to Diamonds and Cigarettes then Someday is Now to Like You. I could do without War On Misery. I’m on the fence with Living in the USA. The production is so so solid and the songs are beautiful. I’m particularly liking Sweet Refrain. It’s just so damn romantic. Have you heard a love song better than a Son Volt love song? Would you count Mystifies Me as a Son Volt song? I would. It sounds better than Ronnie Wood’s. What do these sound like live? I hope Arkey Blue gets the jammed-out treatment.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Third listen now and I’m thinking this is the strongest Son Volt record since Okemah and The Search. I still have mixed thoughts about the opening track, Reverie, but then am thrilled by the back-to-back-to-back-to-back numbers of Arkey Blue, The Globe, Diamonds and Cigarettes and Lucky Ones. Wow! What a run.

The Globe has, of course, that underlining Who’s Next thing combined with overtones of Okemah and evening The Beatles.

I’ve added These Are the Times to my initial short list and can see myself adding even more tracks.

Yep, a very exciting release.

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

love "Lucky Ones" right now...

Monkeygunner

Post by Monkeygunner »

Inspiration engine...