new

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Moonshiner and Sandusky have always been the big diamonds on March 16-20 for me. Picked those two up on the first listen.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

mcarlton wrote: I envy you... To start with a whole catalog of Jay songs...
Funny how that works. Having seen UT 15 years or so ago I got back into UT about a year ago, which quickly led to Son Volt and Jay solo. But, just 2 days ago I discovered this amazing song called Sandusky. Just when I thought I was getting a handle on the material a little gem pops out that I had overlooked (okay, big honkin fricken Hope Diamond to me!).

I can't wait to see what I'll discover next.

-gk-

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I don't think u can go wrong with any of his stuff however...
Trace is classic, windfall is on that one.
Anodyne to me is the best UT CD and I like both of his solo cds equally.

If you want some Jay laced with punk try Still feel gone or No Depression (oh by the way that country hick singing in between Jay's songs is Jeff Tweedy now of Wilco. Let us know if you are a tweedy track skipper or not) I used to skip but now I like Jeff alot.

If you want the acoustic sounding cd's try Terroir Blues or March 16th-20. I'm sure ill get blaster but Trace, Straightways and WST sound rather of the same sound. Straightaways has some of my All time favorites and is rather overlooked.

I envy you... To start with a whole catalog of Jay songs...

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Welcome aboard! I'm by no means an old regular here, but I think I can help you out.

First of all, regarding what music of his to get: opinions vary. Personaly I prefer the Uncle Tupelo music above the rest of the material, but it's a fine line. My advice, depending on your means, is to do the "bookend" approach. Get his latest CD Stone, Steel & Bright Lights and also get Uncle Tupelo's first CD No Depression. Then work your way towards the middle. Some people like the UT stuff the most, but most here prefer Son Volt or Jay solo. My favorite CDs featuring Jay Farrar are No Depression (UT), Anodyne (UT) and Trace (SV). Anyway, there's plenty out there to get you started.

And, I will be at Mississippi Nights on Nov. 13th. Can't wait! From everything I've heard Jay is relatively approachable. I don't know about him accepting gifts, but I'm sure he'd sign a few items for you.

Enjoy the ride, it's a good 'un!

-gk-

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

Hey. I hopped this bandwagon quite a while ago, and I can say that it's a band that really stuck to me. A country type tweek dividing up the Trace tape caught me by surprise, but I learned to like it just like any other music I was listening to.

Welcome :) Hopefully someone will help you getting what you want.

beatNick

new

Post by beatNick »

hello... i'm new to jay's music and just come onto this site and just wanted to say high... i'll be intending the MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS- after hearing a couple downloads of U.T. songs and Windfall and being just in love with Jay's music already- show and it'll be my first experience hearing him live... was wondering who here will be there and if anyone might know where I could get a copy of she show afterward... how hard it would be able to get close enough to Jay to give him a gift of a few poems and get an autograph.... I was going to ask what would be a fist good pickup of his music but I've been reading thru the lyrics and thinking I'll dig about any of it...