New Son Volt line-up....

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

I don't think Jay's in it for the money, sungod, at least not primarily. He said it himself: Son Volt is a vehicle for his songwriting. It was then, it will be again. If you want to look at Son Volt as a CONCEPT, then it makes much more sense.

Comparisons to wilco certainly seem apt to me.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I am only a bit upset as this will probably mean not much in the SV old catalog gets played live as all te new players will need to learn the songs well enough to please Jay. OTOH, I am ok with it. Jay will get the people he needs for the sound he wants to achieve. Calling it SON VOLT seems a bit odd but ok with me.

I am however puzzled as to wtf happened. I always guessed it was one the SV members had some conflict but now ALL wont be there? Sounds like some pissing match that Jay called thier bluff on. Maybe we will find out eventually.

sungod7

Post by sungod7 »

Hank Snow wrote:
I hate the whole band name argument. What the fuck is the difference? It's all just semantics.
Here here, you are correct sir!!

The music is everything
No matter what name he's using, Jay's going to make music. It's not like we're saying we want REAL Son Volt or no music at all. It simply makes little sense to call it Son Volt. Simple as that. It feels like I'm paying to see Big Country just to find out that the friggin singer has been dead for years and the only original memeber is guy on finger cymbal.

Jay doesn't need to call a band "Son Volt" to get me to come or buy the records. I'm guessing that's the case with everyone here. You always hear artists (Jay included) saying they want to move forward and do new things. If it's a new band, then call it something new. This simply sounds like a way to boost SV Anthology sales and that seems pretty cheap to me.

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

"Farrar was unable to reach acceptable business terms with the original line-up."

Read: He was too cheap.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

So sell your stock if the price has dropped too far for you to be happy.

I Am Who Am

I want answers

Post by I Am Who Am »

Even a multi-national corporation answers to its stockholders. The fans and music buyers and concert goers are stockholders in Son Volt. So what the f*** happened?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I hate the whole band name argument. What the fuck is the difference? It's all just semantics.
Here here, you are correct sir!!

The music is everything

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

This is great news! A NEW Son Volt sounds like a great idea! Go Jay.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Look guys (and girls), it's all good. The reason we're all here is Jay. Period. Whether they're called Son Volt or not, it's a new Jay record and this time he's got a full band. Let's just be grateful. I hate the whole band name argument. What the fuck is the difference? It's all just semantics.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

This is dissapointing, as the original members of Son Volt are all fantastic musicians, and the blend was incredible. But at the same time it is fantastic news that it IS going to happen, that Jay IS forming a band and going to be recording and playing some great music.

Though it is not the original line up, This STILL IS SON VOLT. Before anything else, Son Volt is Jay Farrar's songs and voice. He himself said it best in the press release:

"I had always envisioned Son Volt as a vehicle for my songwriting and expected it to evolve over the years. When I reformed the original band this year to record our track for Por Vida it seemed like we might be able to extend that two-day session into two years of recording and touring--but it doesn’t look that way now.”

Son Volt is about Jay Farrar's songwriting. It will be different, it won't be the rekindling of the great band we were hoping for, but I know it will be fantastic music and it WILL BE SON VOLT.

Comparison's to Wilco are accurate, Wilco has been a great changing lineup over the years, but what wultimately makes it Wilco is Jeff Tweedy's song writing and voice, without that it would not be Wilco.

bmedwar

tour stop: Jacksonville, FL

Post by bmedwar »

of course add a tour stop in Jacksonville, FL and I'll be back on the bandwagon no matter what the name of the band is. Possible venues...

Club Five
Florida Theater
Memorial Auditorium
Moran Theatre
Riverview Music Shed

dEvRoNiKa

NAYSAYERS!! What the hell?

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

While my heart is somewhat slightly broken over the Son Volt line-up news, I am tremendously excited about a new Son Volt lineup, too. I think the people on this board for instance (largely) aren’t incapable of embracing something new, but have trouble letting go of something loved and cherished. Thing is – Jay has always made wise, productive, musical decisions, else this board would be silent. I can’t imagine he’s going to stop now.

Look - If it’s Jay and a damn washtub bass, he can still call it Son Volt, because it’s his band-concept, regardless of the players in the band. The writing is different for Son Volt, it has it’s own feel and sound that isn’t easily confused with Jay’s solo work. I think some folks are connecting the band name with 4 people instead of putting it where it really belongs, and that’s on Jay’s work “with a band vs. solo”. Put down the security blankets and embrace the idea that Jay’s doing something new and different, and along the same lines as the Son Volt we all know and love. The previous players couldn’t play, but that shouldn’t stop the game. Bring on the new VOLT. It’s not like Jay didn’t want the old Son Volt to happen; as clearly he did. Sometimes things just don’t work out. I would be far more disappointed in the news if he opted to let 15 or so new songs die on the floor because of obstacles. I, for one, am eager to hear the new Son Volt songs, and anxious to revisit the older songs when they tour. Let’s focus on the positive.

bmedwar

comparison to wilco not valid

Post by bmedwar »

They should really come up with a new name for this band. The comparison to Wilco is not valid because Son Volt broke up indefinitely and Jay produced solo albums.

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

It's not Son Volt, as others have said, but it ain't just "solo Farrar" either. It's like a new band, a 4th phase to his illustrious career. It will be very interesting to hear what it sounds like.

At the very least, I'm likin' the sound of that SV Anthology.

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

This is not Son Volt at all--This is Jay Farrar solo record #3.

Fuck it. Without the Boquists and Heidorn I'm not interested.

Also, it doesn't suprise me that Jay couldn't reach a business agreement with the three of them. Jay seems to be real stuck up about his music.