New Son Volt line-up....

Long Slow Fade

Re: comparison to wilco not valid

Post by Long Slow Fade »

bmedwar wrote:They should really come up with a new name for this band. The comparison to Wilco is not valid because Son Volt broke up indefinitely and Jay produced solo albums.
Sir, I like the cut of your jib.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

If by "suck" you mean that they are extremely talented and creative, and that they kick serious ass live, then yes, I agree with you.

Good points about the name. Despite that they have not done anything in the last 5 years, there is nearly 10 years of "brand" building with Son Volt, why waste it. All the better to get it promoted and into the ears of the folks out there listening to the crap out there!!

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

What's all the fuss about keeping the name? SON VOLT was/is a b(r)and after all. Name recognition is important to businesses peddling product. Music is product. And for the droves of mindless music lovers who buy music these days, a large percentage are impulsively following trends and fads (teen and college demographics). Why lose market share by changing the name? SON VOLT is 4 albums deep in building brand recognition. He's smart to keep the name. Altho, SON VOLT is such a clever name, I'd like to see what he could have come up with regarding a new name.

Oh, and Wilco suck.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

What.

The.

Fuck.

:evil:

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Jay Farrar has every right to use Son Volt, it was and is his band, no matter how you look at it. When Tupelo broke up, Warner Brothers side him with his new band Son Volt, they didn't sign it cause of the Boquists, or anyone else, it was because of who Farrar was and his song writing and singing. That is why Son Volt existed, because of how great Jay Farrar was in Uncle Tupelo.

I am not saying the other guys were not a huge part of Son Volt, they are awesome, 3 of my absolute favorite albums of all time, and they would not sound as great without that lineup. But now, in 2004, Jay Farrar is Son Volt, it is and was a vehicle for his songs, just as he stated, and he can further the band as he sees fit. What is the big deal?

I find it strange that some thing Jay is trying to "screw the guys". What on earth would suggest that was the case?

Again, none of us have any idea. Just as Neveroneagrammy pointed out in another post, Jay doesn't mention ANYTHING to ANYONE, so I am sure very few people know the truth. But speculating is pretty fun.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Jay Farrar has every right to use Son Volt, it was and is his band, no matter how you look at it. When Tupelo broke up, Warner Brothers side him with his new band Son Volt, they didn't sign it cause of the Boquists, or anyone else, it was because of who Farrar was and his song writing and singing. That is why Son Volt existed, because of how great Jay Farrar was in Uncle Tupelo.

I am not saying the other guys were not a huge part of Son Volt, they are awesome, 3 of my absolute favorite albums of all time, and they would not sound as great without that lineup. But now, in 2004, Jay Farrar is Son Volt, it is and was a vehicle for his songs, just as he stated, and he can further the band as he sees fit. What is the big deal?

I find it strange that some thing Jay is trying to "screw the guys". What on earth would suggest that was the case?

Again, none of us have any idea. Just as Neveroneagrammy pointed out in another post, Jay doesn't mention ANYTHING to ANYONE, so I am sure very few people know the truth. But speculating is pretty fun.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Yeah, I'm also guessing Warner Bros had a different spending power and also able to take bigger financial risks. I'm sure it is no easy thing acting as both record label guy and band-mate at the same time.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I Am Who Am wrote:"Farrar was unable to reach acceptable business terms with the original line-up."

Read: He was too cheap.
Read: Son Volt was used to Warner Bros. spending power rather than that of an artist-owned label.

Jay can call his new band whatever he wants. Social Distortion has had only one original member for years, Mike Ness has put out two solo albums, and the new Social D record just came out. It's still Social D because Mike is writing Social D songs.
I think the final call on Jay's part was that his songs were Son Volt material. He needs that sound. Son Volt is his band when he's got those kind of songs. He couldn't make it happen with the old guys, too bad. But the songs are there, and I think Jay believes they deserve the attention that a Son Volt record will bring.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

sungod7 wrote:TimmyB, you make some excellent points. The only thing I can argue is that there weren't any McGuinn solo records back then and there aren't any solo Jeff Tweedy or Gary Louris records now. Due to contractual obligations or just preference, those guys kept doing the band thing.

Jay seems to have chosen his own path on EVERYTHING. That's why this move seems so puzzling.

Regardless, I can't wait to hear Jay with a band and some new material!
You to bring up a very excellent point sungod7, I too can't wait to hear what happens.

sungod7

Post by sungod7 »

TimmyB, you make some excellent points. The only thing I can argue is that there weren't any McGuinn solo records back then and there aren't any solo Jeff Tweedy or Gary Louris records now. Due to contractual obligations or just preference, those guys kept doing the band thing.

Jay seems to have chosen his own path on EVERYTHING. That's why this move seems so puzzling.

Regardless, I can't wait to hear Jay with a band and some new material!

flip

Post by flip »

I think it's totally disrespectful on Jay's part to continue to call this Son Volt. I don't care who wrote the songs, because in this particular case those three guys are all so uniquely stylistic on their respective instruments, that it's a slap in their face and their contributions to those three albums. Even more so, all of the shows that they did play together during their time together. Change the fucking name Jay. Wilco was a different story....the line-up didn't change all at once....it was a piece-by-piece reconstruction over time.

It would be nice to see those three stay together and find another band member or two and continue working together because they sure are a rock-solid unit.

Complete fucking bullshit IMHO. I want the gory details. Oh wait....I get it...this is Jay's attempt at stirring up some music business drama so that he can reap the rewards of a movie and book.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

I'm a fan of Americana music period. It started with the Byrds and I wasn't alive when they were together, but I have all of the Byrds albums and even the ones where Roger McGuinn is the only original Byrd, it's still the Byrds.

With more current bands from this scene when I see Wilco or the Jayhawks even though they are far from their original lineups I still call them Wilco and the Jayhawks and buy their albums and see them live in concert.

I look forward to buying a new Son Volt album and seeing them live, as long as Jay Farrar is there that's all that matters to me.

gblues

Post by gblues »

I don't give a damn,as long as Jay wrote it & Jay is singing it!
And the lot of you who would like to judge something before hearing the outcome should do yourself a favor & open up that little mind of yours.

sungod7

Post by sungod7 »

clarkma5, I see what you (and Jay) are saying, but he's looking at it from only his perspective. When he wants to put on his rock band hat, he'll call that Son Volt.

Even if the other guys didn't have much input in the writing process or in the studio (Jay's choice, not theirs from all reports) they still are a large part of the "sound". Yea, other people can play it and sound just as good. But is that a "band"? Jay and some studio musicians?

Hey, that new guy singing for Journey sounds JUST LIKE Steve Perry, but folks, that isn't Journey (not that I give a rip).

JJ

Post by JJ »

If using the name Son Volt was purely to boost sales for the Anthology (which I presume is coming out on Warner) then doesn't that suggest that a new deal is in the works with Warner or one of their subsidiaries? If so, I'm sure the deal was contingent on him continuing to use the Son Volt name.
I for one don't have a problem at all with him using the name, even if it is for money. I mean it's not like Jay is some huge rock star with loads of cash. Good luck to him and the new band.[/quote]