Worst Reason Ever: "unable to reach business terms&quo

princess buttercup

not ridiculous, just full of speculation

Post by princess buttercup »

Okay, none of us really have any idea what happened here. One person has given their opinion and speculated on what they think happened, while others have been insulted by it, and have declared this as a totally incorrect forum to discuss this on. I think it's okay for all of you to speculate if you want, and I'm sure we'll find out more details at some point. I wasn't really ready to believe a SV reunion would happen until I had a ticket and/or cd in my hands. I know the Boquists have been busy the last few years with other projects, both musical and otherwise, and we know Mike Heidorn has a real job and a family to feed.
I think it's probably best to let this one go for now and not to slander the parties involved needlessly, but I also know that's really not what the internet is all about, so I'm sure some of you will continue discussing this until you're blue in the face. That's fine if that's what you choose to do.
I have no answers, but perhaps I will learn something at some point. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to share it here because I see how everything gets overblown in this forum.
I think it's a shame also, but I was cynical about the idea in the first place.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Okay, I guess I'll have to spell it out. My theory was a joke, an outlandish story that you can't prove wrong. It implied that no one needs to prove you wrong because you have no proof of your own to support you're theory. Asking us to prove you wrong is idiotic.
I would normally promise not to use such complex sarcastic comments to make my point but I won't. Since you just joined yesterday I'm assuming you're sole purpose for coming here was to badmouth Jay for his blasphemous misuse of the sacred band name and once you've exacted all of the outrage of those who couldn't give two shits about a band name but rather are interested in Jay's music (believe me i do regret stooping to this level and getting involved in this discussion) you'll move on to the ViaChicago board to talk shit on Tweedy ditching Bennett.
mstecker wrote:
keith21 wrote:Prove ME wrong.
Idiot.
Dear Genius,

It's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, nor the slightest grasp of logic, rational argument or public relations, so I'll stop arguing with you.

Enjoy the fake Son Volt. I won't. Then again it just might resonate at your level of intellect.

When the shit hits the fan in a few days, and the other former Son Volt member start bad-mouthing Jay, are you going to send me my $100? Don't bother, it's probably all of the money you have.

Matthew

summersleep

Post by summersleep »

It is rather startling to go from the one-off recording session where everything, apparently, went swimmingly -- both musically & chemistry-wise -- certainly well enough to make an official announcement about Son Volt recording "...at the end of September...". Surely at the very least, scheduling conflicts were aat least looked at prior to the decision to release the date-specific news.... It sure looks, when reading the latest news release, like money was the unspoken issue. What's unknown is who was asking for what, but I think given the previous enthusiastic statement, it's a safe bet that money and/or credit was at the core.

It's very disappointing, and A Damn Shame!

I was really looking forward to that original unit being back in action!!!

mstecker

Post by mstecker »

keith21 wrote:Prove ME wrong.
Idiot.
Dear Genius,

It's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, nor the slightest grasp of logic, rational argument or public relations, so I'll stop arguing with you.

Enjoy the fake Son Volt. I won't. Then again it just might resonate at your level of intellect.

When the shit hits the fan in a few days, and the other former Son Volt member start bad-mouthing Jay, are you going to send me my $100? Don't bother, it's probably all of the money you have.

Matthew

keith21

Post by keith21 »

mstecker wrote: Yes, but I can't imagine that Jay couldn't come up with something to offer Mike more lucrative than his work at the hometown newspaper.
Yes, the glorious life of living in Jay's touring van, playing bars and half full small clubs of people yelling for Whiskey Bottle, trying to publicize the show as much as they can (with our help recently) in order to make the tour the least bit profitable.
This isn't the Son Volt of 1995, they don't have the following they once did and the money will be CONSIDERABLY less. This could change with a new great album and relentless touring schedule, but the payoff will be in the not so immediate future and the guys just might not be willing to do that.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

mstecker wrote:So why would they sign on, then change their minds? It only makes sense in the context of Jay squeezing them.

Prove me wrong.
Haha, that's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. :lol:
Here's my theory: Aliens came and visited the Boquists and Mike and warned against the reunion, saying only harm will come to them if they go through with it. Prove ME wrong.
Idiot.

Post by Sticky »

Actually, it's doubtful he could. I'm sure Mike has vacation, benefits and a regular paycheck every two weeks. The Boquist's seem to have some steady things going on too. They aren't 25 anymore, they all have responsibilities now.

edit-bad typing
Last edited by Sticky on Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mstecker

Post by mstecker »

Sticky wrote:hmmmmm... I should probably just be quiet.

BUT...

they have a budget.

Don't you?
Yes, but I can't imagine that Jay couldn't come up with something to offer Mike more lucrative than his work at the hometown newspaper.

Post by Sticky »

hmmmmm... I should probably just be quiet.

BUT...

they have a budget.

Don't you?

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

The Jay Farrar camp has already been less than forthcoming by first saying there was a 'scheduling conflict'. Now, it sounds like it's deeper than that.

In any case, it's Jay's business and not mine. I'm just going to miss the real Son Volt.

TinyE

mstecker

Post by mstecker »

So why would they sign on, then change their minds? It only makes sense in the context of Jay squeezing them.

Prove me wrong.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I agree with you who have said this is a ridiculous thread, and to assume that Jay is tryng to screw someone is a ridiculous assumption. Certainly none of us have any idea what went down, but has there ever been anything in his career that suggests he is out to screw people he works with financially? Why would you assume that? That is nuts.

Remember in the initial press release it mentioned that there was no label backing as of yet? Understand that any previous agreements and deals were with the multi billion dollar conglomerate Warner Bros, and now Jay is basically running a one act record label. I can see how there would be a huge difference in the amount of payment involved to the band, compared to before.

I have no idea, just like the rest of you, but the thought of Jay Farrar screwing the guys is the last thing I would think of.

gblues

Post by gblues »

Name calling is perfectly acceptable on a forum & if it was not, it sure as hell is now.

mstecker

Post by mstecker »

clarkma5 wrote:What a ridiculous thread...who knows the details? Maybe jay was an asshole who wasn't playing fair. Maybe Mike and the Boquists were making extravagant demands that could never be met. Perhaps people were tied down due to obligations to record labels. Who knows?
Jay knows, and the former band members know. It'll come out eventually, and then you can say that I told you so.

Finally, the fact that he's chosing to use the SV name for a bunch of random guys is a total insult to the former members. Might as well go see Mike Love and a bunch of random session musicians calling themselves "The Beach Boys".

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Possible scenario: I'm guessing they would be recording for Jay's own label, where it seems that the financial situation could be a bit different than it was on Warner Bros.