What??? Horseshit!!

downsouth

Post by downsouth »

I just hope the new line-up is more fun to hear. To be quite honest, I'm still chafing from the last couple Son Volt shows I saw all those years ago. I remember standing there thinking, how can I count myself as a fan of this band and be so bored watching them play an entire set of same-tempo tunes while a room full of dudes in baseball hats point at each other at the start of each tune, making lip-biting 'dude! sweet! they're playing this one! -faces. The band looked as bored as I felt.

If those of you who are more interesed in playing with action figures than actually listening to music are left by the wayside, I won't miss you.

jmm

Post by jmm »

Ok, Bozeman. Some good points. I still think that, considering the announcement that the original band was gonna do it and then not gonna do it and hiring three guys to take their place and still call it Son Volt is shit. Mainly BECAUSE it shows Jays lack of collabaration. It seems to me that he's getting older and thinks it's time to archive himself. I think we should make "Greatest Hits" shirts for the next tour. I mean, come on. Petty and Springsteen have their names first and then the bands name. Jay doesn't. He just wants to call it Son Volt. AC/DC is shit these days and has been for years. a "band", by definition, is a group of people making music, not one guy telling everyone what to do. That's what I think. Clarkma put the 5 because he''s a shithead.

darell

Post by darell »

clarkma5 wrote:Congratulations! You are now the nth person to post up a thread that is identical to the (n-1)th that came before it.
were there really four other clarkmas registered before you?

Bozeman

Post by Bozeman »

I'm with Hank on this one. jmm, what exactly are the contributions by the other members of the original Son Volt that could not be provided by another musician of similar talent? Compare everyone else's contributions to Jay's. Now, who is most important? Notice in the announcement that the songs have *ALREADY* been written. Written by Jay, not written by Son Volt. Son Volt is JAY FARRAR's and no one elses. It is a band HE uses to create HIS music. Many bands are like this. How many members of the original Wilco are still with the band? 2. How many members of the original AC/DC have been with the band through every album? 2. Jay Farrar is to Son Volt as Bruce Springstein is to the E Street Band or Tom Petty is to the Heartbreakers or Bruce Hornsby was to the Range. Yes, some bands are very collaborative, like REM. But that wasn't Son Volt, that's not the way Jay works. He writes the music, he sings the songs, he determines how it all sounds. Uncle Tupelo really wasn't different, there were Jay songs and Jeff songs and they didn't collaborate very much. Jay is not a collaborator, which makes who he chooses to back him less important quite honestly.

Oh and I LOVE Terroir Blues, I think Sebastopol and TB are better than any Son Volt album. I also enjoy playing with my balls on occassion, but never Jay's.

jmm

Post by jmm »

By the way; juvenile and stupid is far funner than saying over and over again how great everything Jay Farrar does is while dreaming about his balls. I know that you have, in fact, played with balls before, Hank Snow. Don't lie. Yer playing with yer balls now, aren't you??

jmm

Post by jmm »

Son Volt is Son Volt. When you call Jay Farrar Son Volt, you cheapen the rest of the band's contributions. To answer your question about whether or not we can post without being extreme and calling each other assholes:
Yes, I can post without calling EVERYONE on this board an asshole. I just have a hard time not calling people like you assholes.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

BTW I don't recall ever playing with ANYONE'S Balls, especially Farrar's. I would remember that.

Can no one on this board express an opinion against Jay Farrar's music without being juvenile and ridiculously stupid? It seems the board is either "Hello, how are you, I really like music", or "Terroir Blues sucks and you are all a bunch of assholes"? Nothing in between.

Why are people so stupid?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I agree it's not the "original" Son Volt, duh. But it is Son Volt in that Jay Farrar's voice and songwriting are the core ingredients of what Son Volt is.

jmm

Post by jmm »

Oh, and Hank Snow, one thing I think we CAN objectively say is that this new line-up is NOT Son Volt. Don't be a moron.

jmm

Post by jmm »

here's how you can listen to those songs and not be blown away: listen to the songs and don't be blown away. I think it's pretty much shit and I think that people that adore that album, for the most part, are Jay-worshippers who would rather play with his ding dong than risk having to decide what music they actually like because "it's all just REALLY great". Last time I checked Jay Farrar is human just all of us. He makes bad shit sometimes. Yes, there are probably some who sincerely like Terroir Blues. Good for them. I think it's shit and I think most of you don't really like it, you just wanna play with Jay's balls.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Hank Snow wrote:I think Sebastopol is my favorite thing Jay has ever done, but Terroir Blues is right there. How can you hear songs like Rolling Back or All of Your Might, or Heart on the Ground, or Cahokian and not be blown away?
Amen!

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

well, Keith21 you are not a "experienced and discriminating and intelligent music critic", so you know, what could you possibly know about music? Come on.

This news of the non original Son Volt really has brought out a ton of hostility. Kind of strange really, especially considering no one knows the details.

I think Sebastopol is my favorite thing Jay has ever done, but Terroir Blues is right there. How can you hear songs like Rolling Back or All of Your Might, or Heart on the Ground, or Cahokian and not be blown away?

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I Am Who Am wrote:So there is no such thing as good or bad music? Just different? What a wishy-washy way to think. I suppose you "think" the same about good and evil. Maybe to Hitler killing the Jews was good, so we shouldn't harrass him too about it. After all, he is entitled to believe anything he likes. His opinion is as good as mine or yours. If you relativists are afraid to take a stand on something as silly as music, I fear for your generation.
Wow. What's the deal with the hostility here lately? This board is pure anarchy. Yeah, its an open forum, free speech and all that, but come on! This is getting to be not such a nice place to visit. Starting to remind me of the Pearl Jam board.
Terroir Blues is great, maybe my favorite record by Jay ever. I guess I'm an idiot because I like bad music.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

I Am Who Am wrote:So there is no such thing as good or bad music? Just different? What a wishy-washy way to think. I suppose you "think" the same about good and evil. Maybe to Hitler killing the Jews was good, so we shouldn't harrass him too about it. After all, he is entitled to believe anything he likes. His opinion is as good as mine or yours. If you relativists are afraid to take a stand on something as silly as music, I fear for your generation.
First of all, you're an idiot.

Second, when you have to start using Hitler references to make your point, you know you're in trouble. I think most people would agree that killing is a bad thing, and surely you knew that when you made your ridiculous remarks. Judging music is not quite so clear cut. It's like saying that vanilla is objectively better than chocolate. But of course that to you is the same as making a judgement about Hitler. Idiot.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

there is my opinion of good and bad music. but some things I think are bad, total shit, may be someone else's favorite, the greatest thing they ever heard. my opinion or yours or the opinion of this supposed "experienced and discriminating and intelligent music critic" doesn't make the bad music good or vice versa. I don't think there is a universal good and bad music, no.

music cannot be compared to good and evil. music is feeling and emotion and personal taste and experience and heart. Hitler killed people, that is bad, evil, no question about it. Hitler thought that what he did was right because he was insane and evil.

Kind of like Bush in Iraq.

Just kidding. Sort of.