one more guy's comments about "new" son volt

jmm

Post by jmm »

donny23 wrote:Farrar also plans to record a new Uncle Tupelo album in late 2005. Negotiations with orginal Uncle Tupelo alums Jeff Tweedy and Mike Heidorn stalled, so Farrar is reportedly going to collaborate with the Boss DR202 drum machine and Pro Tools on the as-yet untitled album.
Now THAT is funny......

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

donny23, my reply was to your post.You should have used it as a new thread. More people would enjoy your humor.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Segernpriest,
I respect your post, it seems well thought out, but I don't think Jay owes us any kind of explanation. He doesn't owe us anything. If he puts out music, and we give him 15 bucks, then he owes us a CD, that's about it.
Secondly, the guys of Son Volt I don't think will ever be in the realm of Crazy Horse, they did always seemed to be more of side players than that. I don't think Son Volt was nearly as instrumental in shaping the way Jay's songs sound as much as Crazy Horse has shaped Neil's tunes.
All my opinion of course.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I appreciate your razor that some would refer to as wit. Thanks for a genuine laugh and the hard truth as you see it. All fans look forward to any new music but it is an unfortunate sequence of events no matter what the truth is.

donny23

Post by donny23 »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 8, 2004

SON VOLT BACK IN STUDIO: NEW LINE-UP ANNOUNCED, UNCLE TUPELO REUNION TO FOLLOW

Jay Farrar’s popular rock band persona, Son Volt, is heading back into the studio to record their fourth full-length studio album—the first new release since 1998’s Wide Swing Tremolo (Warner Bros. Records). This time around, though, fans will be seeing (and hearing) a different collection of side musicians performing with Farrar. After several months of discussions and planning with the original Son Volt players—Dave Boquist, Jim Boquist and Mike Heidorn—Farrar was unable to reach acceptable business terms with the original line-up.

“Times change, and so do people, I guess,” reflected Farrar. “I figured I could shift more units with my old band's moniker, despite the absence of three-fourths of the band. The 'Son Volt' brand name has a proven track record in the marketplace, and given the popular indifference to my solo albums, I figured I'd just slap the 'Son Volt' label on this new record and rake in the bling-bling. Hopefully I can get a Volvo commercial out of this album, just like my dog Richard Buckner. Mad props, RB!”

Farrar also plans to record a new Uncle Tupelo album in late 2005. Negotiations with orginal Uncle Tupelo alums Jeff Tweedy and Mike Heidorn stalled, so Farrar is reportedly going to collaborate with the Boss DR202 drum machine and Pro Tools on the as-yet untitled album.

seger_and_priest

one more guy's comments about "new" son volt

Post by seger_and_priest »

so at this point i'm a little late in the game too be jumping in on these myriad threads, but i cannot help myself because, however irrationally, the issues involved seem really "close" to me.

i'll try to justify this dead-horse beating by approaching the situation from a different angle. whether this new band is going to kick my butt (like the old son volt) or fail my maybe unreasonable expectations (like the canyon tour), one thing is for certain: jay's unwillingness to speak out about it has never seemed less becoming. here's why:

1) while everybody on this board is clearly a true believer, the abrupt change from "son volt reunion" to "postponed, scheduling conflicts" to "son volt = jay farrar + three new players" demands explanation, if for no other reason than that it smacks of weird business dealings that nobody wants to think got in the way of the reunion. and if they did, can't we get a slightly clearer version of how/why? is it none of our goshdarn business? at least tell us so.

2) far more importantly, son volt (and i'm referring to the orig. lineup) have yet to get the credit they deserve, which, for me, involves placing them alongside bands like the faces, big star, crazy horse and come in a certain rock canon. to me, jay playing as "son volt" without heidorn and the boquists implies that those characters are expendable - i'm not saying i think he means it to, but doesn't that need to be cleared up? god love your press agent, jay, but it would be really nice to hear you speaking for yourself, and not through a mouthpiece or, worse, some cat from _no depression_.

i suppose i've perhaps brought nothing to the table. jay could have very good reasons for being quiet about anything and everything. but at this point the silence seems...not deafening, but certainly trying.

it seems like another in a long line of missteps, frankly. i guess the good news is that jay's missteps still turn out better than most people's masterpieces. i guess the truth is i'll swallow whatever he's got coming for us - but not without griping about what could've been. isn't that partially what these bulletin boards are for?