First Impressions of This Board

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Welcome aboard My Morning Jacket. Sometimes people get a bit riled up here but for the most part it is a fun place to visit. Can we get back to discussing Jay's music again??

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

TinyElvis wrote:
Hank Snow wrote:I have found that a lot of us, even with vastly different political opinions like Myself and Tiny Elvis or others can still have grownup conversations about our differences without resorting to name calling or such stupidity. Most of us I would say do not resort to juvenile antagonistic behavior.
Hank and E for Prez! :D

TinyE
What a ticket! Is it too late to get in on the debate... oh, yeah, i guess it is...

gblues

don't you see

Post by gblues »

There is lots to learn from criticism,I think people in general are entirley to sensitive. Maybe you guys should consider a persons criticism & respect the fact that they actually give a shit about something enough to yell back about it like music or politics.
Hell I don't know, I think people should just post whatever the hell they'd like without feeling bad about it or the feedback.

fadeaway

Post by fadeaway »

Hey MMJ:
I felt the same way reading recent posts. I just started posting yesterday and was almost afraid to be ridiculed. Mostly, I think there's a lot of great folks on here; just as hooked on Farrar's music as I am. Take Care.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Speaking of heaps of good threads... everyone should go to 'One more guys comments about "new" Son Volt and read the first reply. Whatever your feelings vis-a-vis the new Volt, I'm certain you get alaugh.More posts from donny23! If I knew anything about technology I probably could have edited it somehow to put it with this post but I am a Luddite -as I hear Jay is.

tedious

Post by tedious »

As someone who has tried to be enthusiastic when I post on the board I feel moved to contribute here.
One of my most recent posts was to encourage people not to respond so quickly and vehemently, or at all, to people who sign up and post that same day with something antagonistic (and usually boring and tired. Like "Jay's new stuff isn't as good as his old stuff").
I'm not into being rude to people but if they don't show the board the courtesy of lurking for a little while or looking back through the recent posts to see if their topic already has a thread then they get on everyone's nerves (and it often seems they are intending to cause offence....why this is a good time for them I'm not sure).
Sadly, this usually results in a dull back and forth of juvenile name calling.
There are heaps of good threads on here usually, with many interesting contributions, but the last week has been a bit trying.....

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

Yeah...I understand where you're coming from MMJ. The people on this board do get defensive very fast if you criticize something they adore. They got real upset with me when I said that I thought TB was a terrible album. It's just my opinion and it doesn't mean they're required to share it, but alas, they got really defensive.

Therefore, if you're going to post here, just make it a "Jay Rules" topic and everything will be okay. I've had trouble doing that lately so I pretty much stopped posting.

Cheers.

My Morning Jacket

Post by My Morning Jacket »

Sticky wrote:^and My Morning Jacket walks away^

I hope not. I didn't even get a chance to say "Welcome".
Not from the board. I just meant I was walking away from that conflict. Thanks for the welcome Sticky and Duckman.

Don't forget to vote on my Salughter Rule poll. See ya.

Duckman

Re: First Impressions of This Board

Post by Duckman »

My Morning Jacket wrote:I've been a Farrar fan for about 6 or seven years and just today have really gotten a chance to poke around this board. So far, I have recieved the impressionn that many of you are the most ugly, tasteless, classless, rude, inconsiderate, know-it-all, ignorant, threats to free speech that I have ever had the displeasure of observing. Some of you think that you are the authority on music, polotics and life and you take a dump on the heads of anyone that doesn't share you OPINION. I can't fathom how ashamed and dissappointed Jay must feel if he reads this board. Wow. :? :(
Thank you, and welcome to the board :)
Hope you will be an important asset in our evil plot to end all free speech worldwide, while we tell people what music is good and what's not!

Enjoy :)

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Hank Snow wrote:I have found that a lot of us, even with vastly different political opinions like Myself and Tiny Elvis or others can still have grownup conversations about our differences without resorting to name calling or such stupidity. Most of us I would say do not resort to juvenile antagonistic behavior.
Hank and E for Prez! :D

TinyE

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

Sticky wrote:I'll never understand why people get so tied up in knots over things that are out of their control.
Amen.

-- CC

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I agree, positive OR negative comments, and good dialogue are welcomed most wholeheartedly. Some people aren't going to like some things about Jay Farrar or the Son Volt recording or whatever, and that's fine, express yourself. Even antagonizing to an extent is welcomed, hell I like to rile people up myself, but in the context of the conversations.

I don't understand just the blatant "fuck you you're stupid" posts, and I think it was obvious who I was referring to in my earlier post, by the way that same person has addressed me more than once here, with the admitted goal to "just be stupid and have fun". I wasn't intending to single out an age group or any such things, the cool thing about Jay Farrar's music is it reaches people of all ages. I guess it is people who don't have the maturity level for a normal conversation that bug me, be they 8 or 80 or somewhere in between.

I dig music, I dig Jay Farrar, I dig talking about music and Jay Farrar with other people who also dig it. That's why I come here, and 99% of the time things are great here. The latest news about Son Volt and watching the Webcam is just cool and exciting and has the board riled up and talking again, and it's just fun.

You couldn't ask for a better artist to be discussing here.

Post by Sticky »

^and My Morning Jacket walks away^

I hope not. I didn't even get a chance to say "Welcome".

There are some good things that happen here and good some good folks around that like good music. The bad stuff happens in cycles. I'll never understand why people get so tied up in knots over things that are out of their control.

Hope you come around again. Everybody's welcome. Positive or negative.

have fun,

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

*sigh* :(

-- CC

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

My Morning Jacket,

I have found that there are a lot of great Jay Farrar fans here who really enjoy disucssing his music and such, as well as touching on other subjects like politics. I have found that a lot of us, even with vastly different political opinions like Myself and Tiny Elvis or others can still have grownup conversations about our differences without resorting to name calling or such stupidity. Most of us I would say do not resort to juvenile antagonistic behavior. Periodically we get people in here who may or may not be a fan of Jay Farrar's music, but more importantly are a fan of just being stupid and trying to piss people off behind the veil of the internet. It is the price you pay for an open forum.

I for one feel as long as enough grown up, intelligent fans are on the board, we will be OK. Jay Farrar is not Good Charlotte or AFI or whatever little kid band is popular these days. He has much more limited fan base, so the number of people who would come here only to act stupid is probably limited.

But what do I know?