If you don't like the new Son Volt....

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I'm currently playing through a Rogue GS100-R. I got it for $150 from musician's friend. It's a cool amp, especially on clean, it's got killer tone. The distortion channel is a bit on the high end. I have to cut the treble down a lot to get a deeper sound. I usually use my clean channel with my MXR Distortion + for the most desirable sound. Still, at $150 out of the box for a 100 watt amp with 2 12s in it, who can bitch?

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

It's funny, because I post on a lot of boards, and every one of them seems to have some thread right now about how U2 sucks/not sucks. I guess it's not that weird since they've got the new album out soon, but they're certainly a hot topic of discussion

All I have to say is that their drummer is the worst drummer ever next the drummer in the Corrs.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Hank Snow wrote: Green is not better than blue, or vice versa, people just respond to them differently
WTF you have against blue Hank?

;)

Concerning U2: I was a LOT like you Hank with their later stuff. However, I have slowly come to appreciate a lot of the songs on Pop and Zooropa, and I thought ATYCLB was a great album. With that said, I still think their greatest work was The Unforgettable Fire. That has been and continues to be one of my top 5 albums of all time, going on like 20 years thinking that.

I like the new single, but I will reserve judgement until the album is out. I will buy it as I haven't missed one of theirs yet, but it will be with tempered expectations. We shall see.

-gk-
Blue sucks man.
I don't think U2s later stuff sucks or anything, they are still freaking U2, I just think it isn't as great to me. Man you are right about UF being amazing though, there is just something to that album, it sounds as though they are in a different world alltogether, I don't even have the words to describe. That was my first U2 album, it is amazing.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hey Brian,

I bought an Encore 65 in about '85 and had it until '91 when I traded it up for a Peavey Classic 50 212. The Encore was a pretty good sounding amp. It had two 6L6's in the power section, but the pre-amp was solid state. Actually, I think their might have been one 12AX7 in the pre-amp that kicked in when you pulled on the 'saturation' knob to activate it.

All in all, it was a pretty good amp and it was built like a tank, but I was younger then and I thought that getting a bigger amp would make me a better player. I agree with you - Peavey does make some good ones (and also some shit ones).

I'm back down to small amps now. I'm playing through an Orange AD15 which is kinda like a Vox but a little nastier.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Hank Snow wrote: Green is not better than blue, or vice versa, people just respond to them differently
WTF you have against blue Hank?

;)

Concerning U2: I was a LOT like you Hank with their later stuff. However, I have slowly come to appreciate a lot of the songs on Pop and Zooropa, and I thought ATYCLB was a great album. With that said, I still think their greatest work was The Unforgettable Fire. That has been and continues to be one of my top 5 albums of all time, going on like 20 years thinking that.

I like the new single, but I will reserve judgement until the album is out. I will buy it as I haven't missed one of theirs yet, but it will be with tempered expectations. We shall see.

-gk-

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Is this now the bottle rockets message board??? Just kidding, I think it is awesome that we get Brian and Mark and other musicians on here to discuss things with. Way too Cool.

Hey scalzunfield I agree with you about U2 sucking, to me nothing good came out after Achtung Baby, that was a great album, but after that (a couple of good songs on Zooropa) I just couldn't relate to them any more. Joshua Tree was the best, Rattle and Hum was wonderful, UF and earlier albums are fantastic, but from the mid 90s on, they just aren't relevant.

I also agree with you that Wilco is without doubt the best BAND out there right now, their current lineup is the best they have ever had. Nels Cline is a great guitarist and adds so much to the sound, the whole band just gels and sounds wonderful, I hope this lineup creates a new album

I also agree with you that the others in the original Son Volt brought a lot to the sound, just as I am sure these new guys will to this version of Son Volt. I think it will be a great album, shit it is Jay Farrar songs, with a rocking band behind them. how could that be bad, as long as the album isn't "I love california".

As far as not liking TB, that is cool. Everyone has their own tastes, and to me at least, it is no big deal when someone doesn't like what I like. It's like arguing when I say I like "green" and you say no, green sucks, blue is better. Everyone has their own style, tastes, things they dig. Green is not better than blue, or vice versa, people just respond to them differently.

I don't know if that made sense, I am on my 4th cup of coffee this am.

Did I read somewhere on here that the Boquists are playing with Westerberg? As in they didn't do the Son Volt gig cause they had the Paul gig?

Anyway can't wait for the new stuff!!!

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

princess buttercup wrote:I'm really glad this board allows people to express both negative and postive reactions to what's going on. Kicking people off ala Via Chicago for expressing negative opinions is just wrong.
Just wanted to note that this place is the same as Via Chicago in terms of expressing yourself as against something. You get ostracized either place for it, as I have for saying Terroir Blues is terrible on this board, and saying (of all things) that "I think U2 started sucking years ago" on Via Chicago. It's a matter of opinions and some people just can't take ones that are against something they believe is godly. As far as I'm concerned I think Wilco is better than any band. There will be some negative responses from you on that statement and that's fine, because I'm sure I've said/will say some things you don't feel the same about either. They're called "opinions" and not "truths" for a reason, people.

IMO I think, contrary to popular belief, that the Boquists and Heidorn did bring at least some influence into the sound of Son Volt and now I'm feeling like this could be a potential new direction for Jay, or it could be Jay Farrar Solo Album #3. I would rather see the Boquists and Heidorn back in there because Son Volt was the best part of Jay's post-UT career. I really don't care much for Sebastopol or TB (I'm gonna get ostracized I'm sure for saying that) so I'm praying he takes a (good) new direction or at least learns to rock again. Thankfully, I don't have high expectations for this album--I just expect solid work from Jay (oh, and some lyrics that aren't about California for a change).

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Wow, thanks man... Hopefully someday I will feel the power of this tank. Very cool.

fadeaway

Post by fadeaway »

Gotta say I was a Peavey hater until I played through Luther Dickinson's 130 on New Years Eve in Memphis with Lucero last year. It was amazing. Luther ended up playing through a Marshall with them and used my 70's Maestro Fuzz-Tone. He became a believer, as well. John

Blue Falcon

Post by Blue Falcon »

I gotta agree with Brian. Some years ago, I picked up a used Peavy Bandit 112 and love that thing to death. I've played strats, LPs, and even the now famous T-60 and the sound is pretty nice...

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Grainy,
I'm constantly searching for the ultimate amp for a T-60. I'd like for it to be a Peavey, just 'cause I love the idea of having equipment that was made in Mississippi, and 'cause so many people think they're crap (which they are NOT). I like to go against the grain.
The current Peavey amp I have, I'm not diggin' too much. It's a "Session 400", which is, actually, a steel guitar amp. It's too clean. Sounds like you're playin' direct into the P.A. It's good for Diesel Island, but, seems like it might suck for the Bottle Rockets. It's a cool amp though. Jerry Reed, and Roy Nichols used to use 'em, back in the '70's. Wish I could get used to it. I'm gonna give it a few more chances.
I used to have a Peavey Classic 30, but, it wouldn't stay clean, for a whole show. It sounded okay, but, it'd get hot, and lose its "clean sound" option.
I guess my Peavey Special 130 (Luther Dickinson's favorite amp...), was about the best I had so far. Should've kept it. Oh well, they're easy to find. Cheap too, last one I had cost me 125 bucks.
I had an old Peavey Deuce, which sounded great with the T-60, but, I think it weighed one million pounds. I'm too old for that shit.
I dunno. They sound great outta my Fender Twin Reverb, but, I'm hell-bent to make my "Peavey point". I still have a LOT of Peavey amps to try out. I'm currently looking for one called the "Encore 65". If anybody knows of one for sale, let me know.
Brian

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Sorry to bring this one back up to the top, but I am intrigued by all of this talk of the T-60s... looks like there are some pretty damn fine ones on eBay (not quite the $60 steal, but still worth it). Anyway Brian, I was just wondering what kind of amps you like to use with it.... or does it not matter to you?
Thanks!
-grainy

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Neverwonagrammy wrote: P.S. Sorry 'bout the Astros...
While I do root for the hometown team, my grandfather was raised in Brooklyn and once the Dodgers left, he became a hardcore Red Sox fan, so we've been cursed with that affliction in my family, so the season is looking good for me now.

As for the Astros, I think people here are just happy that we can go into a series now and believe we have a chance rather than the usual "yeah, they got in, but they'll blow it right away."

St. Louis is a classy place, my aunt lived there a long time, she was a Cardinal fan. After the torment she received when the Texans beat the Cowboys, I should count my lucky stars she died or I'd never hear the end of it. (did that sound as horrible as I think?)

saratoga jay

yeah right....

Post by saratoga jay »

"P.S. Sorry 'bout the Astros..."

that has got to be the funniest thing i have heard in a long time! :lol:

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Yep,
That's the one I played at the Houston Lucinda show. It doesn't seem to feedback any more than a normal one, but, it does sound a little different now. A little bit "mellower". It doesn't sound as good as the 60 dollar '81 that I just got.
That night, in Houston, is the night Doug Pettibone got interested in T-60s. He watched our soundcheck that night, and was amazed that a Peavey could sound good.
Peavey seems to have as much prejudice against 'em, as any minority on earth.
I play Peaveys.
I'm a firm believer in equal rights.
Brian
P.S. Sorry 'bout the Astros...